IMSA 2023

Still haven't had a chance to look at it, but the result alone points to something obvious. For the last three or four years, Toyota has been knocking down little better than tomato cans. Now that we have Ferrari, Porsche, Caddy, Peugeot in the fight, Toyota finally gets a chance to show what they are made of, and they are running with it. These are the kind of results Toyota deserves for all the work they have put it.

Still haven't had a chance to look at it, but the result alone points to something obvious. For the last three or four years, Toyota has been knocking down little better than tomato cans. Now that we have Ferrari, Porsche, Caddy, Peugeot in the fight, Toyota finally gets a chance to show what they are made of, and they are running with it. These are the kind of results Toyota deserves for all the work they have put it.
I'm so excited about both series I'm posting WEC stuff in the IMSA section! Good times!

The Lambo is being unveiled at Goodwood FoS sometime this week. In the meantime, they’ve put out some teasers.

So it won’t even be ready for the Rolex next January. A bit disappointing. Otherwise, North American debut at Sebring and one car for the Endurance Cup. Hopefully they expand significantly in 2025.

I think they killed it in design though. Looks sharp and aggressive.

IMG_1677.jpeg

Axing the P3 class is starting to bear fruit as the first P3 team moves up into P2. They aren't going to have an easy time with it racing a Ligier though. It will be interesting to see if they can compete with the Orecas.

Axing the P3 class is starting to bear fruit as the first P3 team moves up into P2. They aren't going to have an easy time with it racing a Ligier though. It will be interesting to see if they can compete with the Orecas.

I respect a team trying to run a Ligier, for the sake of variety. It was probably fairly cheap to snag as well.

Next year the series is going to run into the same issues with capacity. Even with the P3 class going away, those teams are mostly moving to GTD or P2. Add in additional announced GTD Pro and GTP entries and you get the same squeeze they’ve had to deal with this season. Daytona and Watkins Glen were oversubscribed, and Petit Le Mans already is as well.

They’ll have to get creative with how they structure the schedule for each class and I wouldn’t be surprised if P2 had an entry cap placed on it. Maybe Laguna Seca has two separate races of two classes each again or something. It’s going to be tough.

Eh, split the classes at most tracks. Run the GTDs for 2:40, swap the pit equipment, and run the prototypes for another 2:40!

I respect a team trying to run a Ligier, for the sake of variety. It was probably fairly cheap to snag as well.

They mentioned their "relationship" with Ligier, so that may have played it's part. Ligier hasn't sold a ton of P2s lately, but if they run well this could help.
Next year the series is going to run into the same issues with capacity. Even with the P3 class going away, those teams are mostly moving to GTD or P2. Add in additional announced GTD Pro and GTP entries and you get the same squeeze they’ve had to deal with this season. Daytona and Watkins Glen were oversubscribed, and Petit Le Mans already is as well.
In the original GTP days they would separate the GT cars into their own race, and run them with the GTPs and lights in the enduros. We're probably going to have to deal with pit space, garage area and all. The bad effect is we will be turning entries away, which is not how you keep teams in business.

They’ll have to get creative with how they structure the schedule for each class and I wouldn’t be surprised if P2 had an entry cap placed on it. Maybe Laguna Seca has two separate races of two classes each again or something. It’s going to be tough.
There's got to be some way we can avoid sending teams home.

Eh, split the classes at most tracks. Run the GTDs for 2:40, swap the pit equipment, and run the prototypes for another 2:40!

In the original GTP days they would separate the GT cars into their own race, and run them with the GTPs and lights in the enduros. We're probably going to have to deal with pit space, garage area and all. The bad effect is we will be turning entries away, which is not how you keep teams in business.
I think they could do that one weekend, maybe two. It gets tough with TV time, overall garage space, and track time. IMSA has a heavy support package most weekends too so there are a lot of factors to consider.

They mentioned their "relationship" with Ligier, so that may have played it's part. Ligier hasn't sold a ton of P2s lately, but if they run well this could help.
Their current P3 is a Ligier so I do imagine that all the customer support people will be the same. That is nice.

It gets tough with TV time, overall garage space, and track time. IMSA has a heavy support package most weekends too so there are a lot of factors to consider.
Drowning in their own success.
Their current P3 is a Ligier so I do imagine that all the customer support people will be the same. That is nice.
It's another good car, so it's a 360 win. It will be nice to have something besides a Oreca. Hopefully they can be competitive.

From one bull ring to another…GT3 pole record obliterated today by Ross Gunn and several others ahead of tomorrow’s GT-only event. Noon ET USA/Peacock

Pretty typical Lime Rock, tight field, hard to pass and some argy-bargy. Wish the TV direction had captured more of Hindman and Andlauer charging through the GTD field after taking over for their bronze-rated teammates at the very back of the running order.

Decent little race, with 1.5 seconds separating top 4 GTD Pro, top 3 GTD. Fun to see Heart with the sweep of the classes. Not one of my favorite tracks but it was entertaining.

Indy becomes a 6-hour race. Detroit is back, Lime Rock is gone entirely, GTP is the only class absent from Mosport…

3 (THREE!) WEC clashes, Nürburgring 24 clash (Detroit), Spa 24 clash (Watkins Glen).

That is really bad.

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1714.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom