IMSA 2023

Hated to lose Mosport, but Detroit is a very important market and we need to be there. Hopefully the new layout won't be as awful as the current one. It will be great to see the sportscars back at Indy too.

Dear IMSA,

Thank you for releasing the new 2024 calendar. I appreciate that GTP will be at Detroit! That is where my appreciation ends. Also I hate everything else.

Thanks, VB

Hated to lose Mosport, but Detroit is a very important market and we need to be there. Hopefully the new layout won't be as awful as the current one. It will be great to see the sportscars back at Indy too.
Detroit is the same new IndyCar layout that debuted this year.

Apparently Lime Rock being off the calendar for 2024 is due to scheduling conflicts but should come back in 2025, and I’ll admit it’s good to see at least Pilot Challenge and some of the other support series go back to Mid-Ohio.

But it does such a disservice to the teams, drivers, manufacturers, and other series that went out of their way to avoid conflicts with each other just for IMSA to take a ****e all over them. A lot of people are going to have make some tough decisions as to what series and events they want to support next year, and I think IMSA may find out the hard way it’s not all about them.

Also, I haven’t seen a single Mosport-goer yet happy about losing GTP, presumably so they could lengthen the Indy race. They just pissed off a ton of Canadian fans.

My bad. I was reading this morning about Nashville layout being changed and kinda got them confused. The current track is pitiful. It's not so much the layout, but that it's too narrow, too bumpy and in a dumpy part of town. If they were going for that Monoco glamor they missed that mark pretty badly.
Also, I haven’t seen a single Mosport-goer yet happy about losing GTP, presumably so they could lengthen the Indy race. They just pissed off a ton of Canadian fans.
I hate it too, especially since it's being replaced with a sh*tty street race on a sh*tty track. Mosport is one of the few remaining true classic venues. I don't know how much losing this race will hurt them, but it won't be good.

Apparently Lime Rock being off the calendar for 2024 is due to scheduling conflicts but should come back in 2025, and I’ll admit it’s good to see at least Pilot Challenge and some of the other support series go back to Mid-Ohio.

But it does such a disservice to the teams, drivers, manufacturers, and other series that went out of their way to avoid conflicts with each other just for IMSA to take a ****e all over them. A lot of people are going to have make some tough decisions as to what series and events they want to support next year, and I think IMSA may find out the hard way it’s not all about them.

I think they will learn that they can't have their cake and eat it, too. I hope they are willing to compromise for the likes of teams and OEMs alike. Cannot believe they took GTP from Mosport, very entertaining to see GTP navigate traffic on that track.

I'd rather watch this one live and record the abomination that is Nashville, but the NBC gerbils will undoubtedly spoil the IndyCar results.

Very possible they break the official ALMS LMP1 and old IMSA GTP lap records tomorrow.

I'd rather watch this one live and record the abomination that is Nashville, but the NBC gerbils will undoubtedly spoil the IndyCar results.
I doubt it, they’ll probably finish around the same time. Probably within 5-15 minutes of each other, not sure they’ll be trying to spoil anything that late.

Very possible they break the official ALMS LMP1 and old IMSA GTP lap records tomorrow.

I doubt it, they’ll probably finish around the same time. Probably within 5-15 minutes of each other, not sure they’ll be trying to spoil anything that late.
I meant they'd spoil the Indy results during the Cup race. They rarely comment on IMSA.

Completely forgot about IMSA being on this weekend after my brain exploded with them dropping Lime Rock. Look, I spent most of my childhood in CT, I've been to Lime Rock as recently as last year when I flew in for the weekend and attended with my best friend. This is not just some track, this is one of, if not the most historic road course in America. The crowd was huge this year. It does its numbers in New England which now no longer has a race in spite of being exactly the territory you want to advertise in if you sell sports cars. This is not OK and very much a serious crapping on the history and legacy of road racing in this country. It would be like NASCAR saying "Oh man, will you look at that? We couldn't find a good date for Darlington this year." The best argument you can make in relation to it is that this year's GTD race was low on passing and that they should be running the Uphill somehow, but how that would be an OK explanation and it wouldn't be equivalently OK for abandoning Monaco for F1, IDK man.

So yeah, still big mad. Probably will never cease being big mad. Until I see that they're actually on the calendar for 2025, I don't care about whatever's been said about finding a date. They didn't find one for 2024, and if NASCAR just doesn't want to be there because they think they can sell more tickets at Watkins Glen (which they own) maybe they'll never be again. Maybe someone else in the SCCA/Indycar/USAC triumvarate of sanctioning bodies that have various road racing series can step in to bolster the Trans Am series as the premier class there. Still so, so disappointing for me.

Highlights (or low) showing all the wrecks leading up to the race today. One this morning too. Hope they've got it all out of their system.

Completely forgot about IMSA being on this weekend after my brain exploded with them dropping Lime Rock.
You're probably as upset as I am about GTPs being pulled from Mosport. The problem is there are not enough dates to go around. We could add events, but that just dilutes the importance of each one. I think 12 events is the perfect number because you don't wear the teams out, you don't wear the suppliers out, you don't burn the fans out. Every event is critical, which is kind of what we want. We want every sportscar race to be the biggest deal of the weekend.

Take a look at nascar with their 30 some events. If you miss one, there another next weekend. Formula One is also overload, especially since we already know who's going to win the next one and the one after that. After about 10 rounds everybody is worn out. Always leave them wanting more, right?

I'de rather have 12 super important events than 20 watered down events. It's sad Lime Rock got cut, but my guess is IMSA will go back eventually. I'm more upset about Mosport dumping the GTPs. When was the last time the top class didn't race Mosport, if ever?

So yeah, still big mad. Probably will never cease being big mad. Until I see that they're actually on the calendar for 2025, I don't care about whatever's been said about finding a date.
I'm sure the GT cars will come back. Sad to lose a classic venue though, even if it might just be for next year. I think the place is too small for GTPs though, but it's perfect for GTs.
They didn't find one for 2024, and if NASCAR just doesn't want to be there because they think they can sell more tickets at Watkins Glen (which they own) maybe they'll never be again.
IMSA has such a rich history there that they won't stay away long. Sure, this is bad news, but there's so much other good news I'm only going to be so upset over it. I'm unhappy about Mosport, but if that's what the series has to do to stay afloat, I'm ok with it.

Where I am not ok is axing Mosport to run the trashy, slummy, bumpy sh*thole they are going to run in Detroit. We gave up Belle Island for that mess? All we can do is console ourselves that the series absolutely has to be there.

The way GTP and P2 are set to grow, the only way to accommodate that is either send good cars home or eventually break the GT class away from the GTPs and give them their own series. They could race at places like Lime Rock, VIR and there are other good places too.

In the original GTP days they would run the GTs in their own races, and then run everyone together in the enduros. I'de be ok with that if they can make it happen. We just need more GTPs and P2 cars, but I think there is enough interest in GT cars if you gave them their own series where they can race for the overall, we'de get even more GTs.

You're probably as upset as I am about GTPs being pulled from Mosport. The problem is there are not enough dates to go around. We could add events, but that just dilutes the importance of each one. I think 12 events is the perfect number because you don't wear the teams out, you don't wear the suppliers out, you don't burn the fans out. Every event is critical, which is kind of what we want. We want every sportscar race to be the biggest deal of the weekend.

They basically have one race (let's be real. the Roar Before the 24 is not a "real event" or standalone) a month for the 10 months the season takes place during. I'm not saying they need 30 events, but they could use one or three more during the summer when they have minimal competition on TV and for ticket sales. There are clearly sufficient venues. I just hate the rationale they're throwing out for their decision making. IMSA left Mid-Ohio because the facilities were bad. Meanwhile, NASCAR's Xfinity series can run there just fine in spite of the facilities mattering as much or more for them given how much money flows through the series. And now it's OK again for Pilot Challenge and VP Series (who run LMP3s, of course). I feel very, very much like I'm being lied to by IMSA/NASCAR. I get the real customers are the manufacturers. That doesn't make me feel better.

Take a look at nascar with their 30 some events. If you miss one, there another next weekend. Formula One is also overload, especially since we already know who's going to win the next one and the one after that. After about 10 rounds everybody is worn out. Always leave them wanting more, right?

I'de rather have 12 super important events than 20 watered down events. It's sad Lime Rock got cut, but my guess is IMSA will go back eventually. I'm more upset about Mosport dumping the GTPs. When was the last time the top class didn't race Mosport, if ever?

I had a room booked for the Mosport race. I was going to go. I had to do a work trip for the job I was leaving a week later that instead that would have led to me trying to do an 6-7 hour, cross border drive to get to my AirBnB. Had to cancel; not enthusiastic about that. Now if I go next year there's no GTPs for the one Canadian race? At that track?

:deep breath:

I'm sure the GT cars will come back. Sad to lose a classic venue though, even if it might just be for next year. I think the place is too small for GTPs though, but it's perfect for GTs.

IMSA has such a rich history there that they won't stay away long. Sure, this is bad news, but there's so much other good news I'm only going to be so upset over it. I'm unhappy about Mosport, but if that's what the series has to do to stay afloat, I'm ok with it.

Where I am not ok is axing Mosport to run the trashy, slummy, bumpy sh*thole they are going to run in Detroit. We gave up Belle Island for that mess? All we can do is console ourselves that the series absolutely has to be there.

The way GTP and P2 are set to grow, the only way to accommodate that is either send good cars home or eventually break the GT class away from the GTPs and give them their own series. They could race at places like Lime Rock, VIR and there are other good places too.

In the original GTP days they would run the GTs in their own races, and then run everyone together in the enduros. I'de be ok with that if they can make it happen. We just need more GTPs and P2 cars, but I think there is enough interest in GT cars if you gave them their own series where they can race for the overall, we'de get even more GTs.

The Detroit thing is a "win" for me in that it will be a race I attend thanks to proximity. It might even wind up being fun because I think there will be sufficient passing zones for these cars and clearly it is a rough enough surface that some stuff might break. I could be really, really happy about that but I'm not. It feels like a pyrrhic victory.

There's gotta be a way to take what exists with Pilot Challenge, VP Fuels Series, Trans Am, Trofeo Challenge, and Porsche Cup and synergize the second or third tiers of American sports car racing. It seems like there's an opportunity that exists out there to package these series together across the sanctioning bodies involved. How many GT3 and GT4 series do we need that don't cross over with one another?

It was a typical bonkers IMSA race. The Porsche ran away with it, but in the end Shank's Acura kept it interesting. The real wheel to when was, like always, up and down the field. Great show.

They basically have one race (let's be real. the Roar Before the 24 is not a "real event" or standalone) a month for the 10 months the season takes place during. I'm not saying they need 30 events, but they could use one or three more during the summer when they have minimal competition on TV and for ticket sales.
I'm not sure the teams could afford more races. That, and there are so few races every one of them is both special and critical. I'm happy with the schedule with the exception of Mosport. I'de also like to see the GTPs run at VIR. We don't want to get greedy like nascar and have 30 races because it waters down the whole series.

I feel very, very much like I'm being lied to by IMSA/NASCAR. I get the real customers are the manufacturers. That doesn't make me feel better.
If you don't give the manufacturers what they want, you'll lose them. They are fickle as hell, and they will leave anyway when it suits them.

The Detroit thing is a "win" for me in that it will be a race I attend thanks to proximity. It might even wind up being fun because I think there will be sufficient passing zones for these cars and clearly it is a rough enough surface that some stuff might break. I could be really, really happy about that but I'm not. It feels like a pyrrhic victory.
I will be delighted if they prove me wrong, but the Indycar race there was absolutely awful. The place is a freakin' dump. It looks like the place was abandoned years ago. The spectators barely show up on TV for a few seconds a lap, which doesn't promote the idea the race is a big deal. All the buildings are run down looking and the whole place looks like a ghetto. There are also so places that are way too narrow, so in general it's a crap venue. There's also the knock off effect that a decent permanent circuit loses a much-needed date, and we've lost enough of the classics. How is Mosport going to survive if they don't have a major race?

However, once again, the manufacturers want to be there, so we gotta be there. Sacrificing Mosport to get that nasty place is what bothers me the most.

I'm not sure the teams could afford more races. That, and there are so few races every one of them is both special and critical. I'm happy with the schedule with the exception of Mosport. I'de also like to see the GTPs run at VIR. We don't want to get greedy like nascar and have 30 races because it waters down the whole series.
I don't want to be put on record as saying that I want 30 GTP races, but at the same time, drivers need reps if they are ever going to improve. That is the point of VP Racing Fuels Series, right? Build guy's resumes for multiclass racing?

You can do a mix of stuff around what are really just 9 full race weekends where everyone competes. Like I said before, you got many, many pro-am series out there ranging from Formula Regional F3 to Trans-Am to whatever. Pull that together with a single identity (Road to Sebring, Road to Le Mans, Sports Car Mania, call it literally anything) and go around selling it. Generate interest, generate eyeballs, provide checks eventually for guys who compete as revenue sharing, rinse-repeat. Or everyone can just have a fiefdom largely built around individual brands that zero people fundamentally care about or buy tickets to engage with.

I will be delighted if they prove me wrong, but the Indycar race there was absolutely awful. The place is a freakin' dump. It looks like the place was abandoned years ago. The spectators barely show up on TV for a few seconds a lap, which doesn't promote the idea the race is a big deal. All the buildings are run down looking and the whole place looks like a ghetto. There are also so places that are way too narrow, so in general it's a crap venue. There's also the knock off effect that a decent permanent circuit loses a much-needed date, and we've lost enough of the classics. How is Mosport going to survive if they don't have a major race?

However, once again, the manufacturers want to be there, so we gotta be there. Sacrificing Mosport to get that nasty place is what bothers me the most.

You close off a lot of roads where there will not be room for people stand or sit and watch, and it'll wind up looking like no one is there. I dunno, I don't hate the move to downtown in theory and I wasn't there in person this year to assess what it was actually like because I had a vacation booked already. I'm mostly uncomfortable with the notion that IMSA is at Detroit at the negative of anywhere else. IMSA was at Belle Isle for years and also took DPi to Mosport and GT3s to Lime Rock. Until otherwise proven, IMSA took away both, not the Detroit Street Race organizers or the manufacturers. They're the sanctioning body. They build the schedule.

I’m still catching up on the recording, but I thought - holy cow, the crowd on the broadcast looked great! Turns out it’s the absolute biggest in over four decades of the series at the track, that’s outstanding.

Highly disappointing race from the BMWs in GTP. CDP binned the 25 twice in the very early going, then Eng tried to throw a wild block on Rocky at the start, got pushed off track, then never had any pace before the car finally died. Eeesh.

Valiant effort from Blomqvist in the final stint trying to catch the 7, but Matty Campbell laid it on them good early on and the gap was just too big to catch all the way up.

Sims’ warmup crash in the 31 was just brutal, the car didn’t seem the same in the race afterwards, and he spun again anyways. Rough day after Derani put it on pole.

Bit of a ho-hum race by Road America standards, unfortunately the pit lane penalty ruined the battle for the GTD Pro win between Corvette and the HoR Aston, and TV didn’t seem to show the pass for the win in LMP3.

Highlights (or low) showing all the wrecks leading up to the race today. One this morning too. Hope they've got it all out of their system.
I was surprised, so many big incidents in practice and warmup and then the race itself was pretty clean. I guess they did get it out of their system after all.

They basically have one race (let's be real. the Roar Before the 24 is not a "real event" or standalone) a month for the 10 months the season takes place during. I'm not saying they need 30 events, but they could use one or three more during the summer when they have minimal competition on TV and for ticket sales. There are clearly sufficient venues. I just hate the rationale they're throwing out for their decision making. IMSA left Mid-Ohio because the facilities were bad. Meanwhile, NASCAR's Xfinity series can run there just fine in spite of the facilities mattering as much or more for them given how much money flows through the series. And now it's OK again for Pilot Challenge and VP Series (who run LMP3s, of course). I feel very, very much like I'm being lied to by IMSA/NASCAR. I get the real customers are the manufacturers. That doesn't make me feel better.

I had a room booked for the Mosport race. I was going to go. I had to do a work trip for the job I was leaving a week later that instead that would have led to me trying to do an 6-7 hour, cross border drive to get to my AirBnB. Had to cancel; not enthusiastic about that. Now if I go next year there's no GTPs for the one Canadian race? At that track?

:deep breath:

Xfinity ditched Mid-Ohio, but they do have Truck and ARCA now. Still, the facilities standards requisite for those aren’t what they are for the main IMSA event. Over the years, I’d come to see pretty much every type of stakeholder - manufacturer, team, driver, PR, journo, fan - complain about the lack of investment and general crappiness of MO as a facility, especially compared to a track who’s continued to invest in itself like Road America. I believe the main backer, Honda, pulled out as title sponsor after 2021 - last year I think it was sponsored by some local Lexus dealer. So when the OEM with the local production plant doesn’t even care to back it anymore, it’s no surprise they left. I am glad they’re bringing MPC and the new Mustang series back there though. IMSA should still have some sort of presence there, and hopefully the track starts to bring the place up to spec.

That also gives me hope that they return to Lime Rock in some capacity, which I understand to be related to some TV/production conflicts and how tight that portion of schedule is for both NBC and IMSA itself. I don’t fully understand it, but I will take their word for for the time being that they want to return in 2025.

As for GTP not running at Mosport, I’m guessing they simply have a budget on how much running time they want each season, and returning to Detroit and making Indy an enduro meant they had to make cuts elsewhere, and Mosport was last on the GTP teams’ priority list. Disappointing for sure, but I get it.

I’m curious as to how long this Indy experiment will last.

Xfinity ditched Mid-Ohio, but they do have Truck and ARCA now. Still, the facilities standards requisite for those aren’t what they are for the main IMSA event. Over the years, I’d come to see pretty much every type of stakeholder - manufacturer, team, driver, PR, journo, fan - complain about the lack of investment and general crappiness of MO as a facility, especially compared to a track who’s continued to invest in itself like Road America. I believe the main backer, Honda, pulled out as title sponsor after 2021 - last year I think it was sponsored by some local Lexus dealer. So when the OEM with the local production plant doesn’t even care to back it anymore, it’s no surprise they left. I am glad they’re bringing MPC and the new Mustang series back there though. IMSA should still have some sort of presence there, and hopefully the track starts to bring the place up to spec.

That also gives me hope that they return to Lime Rock in some capacity, which I understand to be related to some TV/production conflicts and how tight that portion of schedule is for both NBC and IMSA itself. I don’t fully understand it, but I will take their word for for the time being that they want to return in 2025.

As for GTP not running at Mosport, I’m guessing they simply have a budget on how much running time they want each season, and returning to Detroit and making Indy an enduro meant they had to make cuts elsewhere, and Mosport was last on the GTP teams’ priority list. Disappointing for sure, but I get it.

If it were a decision on Honda's part to basically pare down their expenditures at Mid-Ohio to one event a year they were subsidizing on the basis that they didn't like the hospitality space and whatnot, that would absolutely make sense to me. I might not love it, but I would understand. I don't think I'm asking a lot to just be told the truth. When you leave for a year because the facilities are bad only to return the following year after no changes because 🤷 then I feel disrespected in terms of how I'm perceived by them.

I know legally ISC/IMSA/NASCAR is under no obligation to necessarily give me honest or any answers about decisions they make. But I also understand that they are an entity who is actively attempting to promote to me as a viewer at home and paid spectator in person so that they may generate revenue for their core business of producing and promoting auto racing. My interest in NASCAR is at an absolute nadir, so much I've seen far more NASCAR in person as a result of double headers with Indycar than I have on television over the last 3 years. I would like very much to continue enjoying IMSA and to see it improve as a TV and spectator product, and I don't know that either is well served with their decisions here, nor is actually clear to me why decisions were made. All I want is some transparency. I get it from most sports leagues and I would like it from them too.

PMR is moving up to GTD Pro next season:
Cool, great team, they’ve won a bunch of different GTD championships in the past and are killing it again this year. A lot of people bellyache about Madison Snow being a silver, he has pro pace, so everyone should be happy about this.

GTD Pro is probably actually probably set for the most growth next season, which will be great. Would love to get back closer to the heyday of GTLM.

If I were a rich man I’d buy Mid Ohio in a heartbeat. Amazing track and it’s really a gorgeous layout, but the buildings are like a damn state park

Highly disappointing race from the BMWs in GTP. CDP binned the 25 twice in the very early going, then Eng tried to throw a wild block on Rocky at the start, got pushed off track, then never had any pace before the car finally died. Eeesh.

Valiant effort from Blomqvist in the final stint trying to catch the 7, but Matty Campbell laid it on them good early on and the gap was just too big to catch all the way up.

Sims’ warmup crash in the 31 was just brutal, the car didn’t seem the same in the race afterwards, and he spun again anyways. Rough day after Derani put it on pole.

Bit of a ho-hum race by Road America standards, unfortunately the pit lane penalty ruined the battle for the GTD Pro win between Corvette and the HoR Aston, and TV didn’t seem to show the pass for the win in LMP3.
I honestly wonder how much longer Derani will stay with Action Express...

I would honestly consider signing K-Mag to drive alongside Derani next year... That's if Haas no longer needs him after this season. Sims has been solid, but since Nasr left. This team has been struggling to find a second driver to compliment Derani.

JDC-Miller's performances are going under the radar. This is really impressive stuff, Rocky and Van Der Helm are an excellent duo: (via Reddit)
19yetxum9ygb1.jpg

JDC-Miller's performances are going under the radar. This is really impressive stuff, Rocky and Van Der Helm are an excellent duo: (via Reddit)
19yetxum9ygb1.jpg
I don’t think anyone expected Tijmen to do as well as he has, he’s been much quicker than anticipated. Him holding off the pair of factory Porsches after the final restart at Mosport was massive.

They’re bringing the car home in one piece each time too, which counts for a lot for a privateer. That’s also more than pretty much any other GTP team can say this season.

Wish TV would show the rest of the field more, I know GTP is the shiny new thing but if there aren’t battles there’s no reason not to show GTD or something. Pretty sure these didn’t make the broadcast either.

Wish TV would show the rest of the field more, I know GTP is the shiny new thing but if there aren’t battles there’s no reason not to show GTD or something. Pretty sure these didn’t make the broadcast either.

My ideal scenario is Peacock F1TV-izes itself and we get to select onboard cameras at will. NASCAR sorta kinda did that a long time ago, I can't believe it hasn't come back.

My ideal scenario is Peacock F1TV-izes itself and we get to select onboard cameras at will. NASCAR sorta kinda did that a long time ago, I can't believe it hasn't come back.
All cars have an on board cameras in the NASCAR Cup Series, but Fanvision is defunct and I doubt we see something that extensive again. We shall see though.

All cars have an on board cameras in the NASCAR Cup Series, but Fanvision is defunct and I doubt we see something that extensive again. We shall see though.
Every onboard is available on the NASCAR app at least, right?

Broadcasting should be the next big evolution for the series with the TV deal ending next year. I know it’s easy for them to hitch their wagon to one of the NASCAR TV partners and do some time buys each year for a few OTA broadcasts, but the overall presentation and availability isn’t as good as other major sports car series. Peacock races aren’t even commercial-free anymore, which they initially were, as well as on its predecessor (NBC Track Pass). When anyone can watch every SRO race worldwide for free on YouTube, including multiple commentary languages and onboards, IMSA doesn’t have much excuse for a poor presentation and distribution.

Every onboard is available on the NASCAR app at least, right?

Broadcasting should be the next big evolution for the series with the TV deal ending next year. I know it’s easy for them to hitch their wagon to one of the NASCAR TV partners and do some time buys each year for a few OTA broadcasts, but the overall presentation and availability isn’t as good as other major sports car series. Peacock races aren’t even commercial-free anymore, which they initially were, as well as on its predecessor (NBC Track Pass). When anyone can watch every SRO race worldwide for free on YouTube, including multiple commentary languages and onboards, IMSA doesn’t have much excuse for a poor presentation and distribution.
TIL NASCAR's Android app permits that. Shame they don't put something on Roku too.

I'm with you re: IMSA and for that matter Indycar. It's 2023 and the costs for that kind of video setup are not what they were once upon a time. Being able to select a different commentary like the radio would also be ideal within a TV context (it looks like that's an option with the NASCAR app also).

Now from my previous post I realized there was a layup being provided to bring up the 1959 Formula Libre race at Lime Rock. I am deeply ashamed.

2024 entries opened last week and they’re targeting a much different approach this time around than in the past, where entries would kinda trickle out through the winter and you’d get an entry list right before the Roar. With as much demand for grid spots as there is, and for the sake of the planning for all involved, the full-season entry list will be announced the week of Petit Le Mans.

Rolex cap based off of pit space is 60
Endurance Cup 54
Full season 53

If everyone who wanted to go to Daytona could get in they’d have at least 74 based off of current projections.

Back
Top Bottom