IMSA 2023

According to this, the field will be 61 cars.

On one of those links the commentators said the LMDh were in the 1:36s range.
Both Acuras and the AXR Caddy dipped into the 1:35s today, 1:35.7 quick time from the MSR Acura.

Remind me how that compares to DPs, please.
Fastest practice lap at the Roar this year was a 1:34.3, 1:34.7 fast practice lap on race weekend.

The race lap record Palou set overnight was a 1:33.7.

The electric start followed up by the ICE kicking in sounds mean as hell - especially on the Cadillac.

Not sure how you can sell the idea of hybrid superiority when they are slower.
I mean, they’re not going to be pushing at the test before the test before the very first race. By all accounts it’s going to be a race of reliability first and foremost since they’re really still sorting out the cars. These teams mostly aren’t even working on setup yet. There were reports of drivers lifting well before their braking markers. They’re still just logging miles.

They’re gonna use less fuel and fewer tires and that’s what they’re going to sell from a sustainability perspective.

This is from the Racer link, but it was still cool enough to put here:

levitt-IMSA-1222-52058_2022-12-08.jpg

Here's some interesting trivia: In 2018 Braun and Benett qualified their P2 Oreca for the Rolex at 1:36.508. At the Daytona test last week, most of the new GTP cars were running in the 1:35 or 1:36 range, so clearly if they eased up on the restrictions a P2 car could still probably compete.

Instant championship favorites in class I’d say. Big surprise to see AMG step up with Cooper pulling back to get more involved in the family business.

60 cars selected from 72 entries. Reserve list not published, but I’d really like to see it like is done for Le Mans.

45 for the full season and 55 for the Endurance Cup. I’m sure there will be some attrition as the season goes on but those are huge numbers, not sure where they’re gonna fit everyone at some of these events.

9 GTP / 10 LMP2 / 9 LMP3 / 8 GTD Pro / 24 GTD

Not sure how TGM is in GTD-Pro with an all-am lineup. Must be a clerical error.

At least two of the confirmed reserve entries were a KCMG GTD Pro Acura and a Racing Team Turkey LMP2. No reason either of those should be excluded for LMP3 entries. That class should never have been given an extension after their first two seasons as a grid filler program.

I like this AXR lineup and Whelen has re-upped:

Sims coming back will be a damn good addition, I think he will transition well to prototypes again.

Penske IMSA lineups

#6 - Nick Tandy/Mathieu Jaminet/Dane Cameron (Endurance)

#7 - Matt Campbell/Felipe Nasr/Michael Christensen (Endurance)

Back
Top Bottom