IMSA, NBC Sports Group Announce Six-Year Partnership To Begin In 2019

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Wow! This was a surprise. FOX was largely expected to retain the rights, from everything I read/heard. This will align IMSA's rights with NASCAR's NBC rights through 2024.

https://www.imsa.com/news/042018/imsa-nbc-sports-group-announce-six-year-partnership-begin-2019

The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) will have a new U.S. broadcast home for its flagship IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, what is currently known as the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge and the IMSA Prototype Challenge Presented by Mazda as NBC Sports Group and IMSA today announced a six-year partnership starting with the 2019 season.

This enhanced media rights partnership includes a significant increase in network coverage of the WeatherTech Championship over 2018. Three races will broadcast on NBC and there will be more than 45 hours of WeatherTech Championship action televised on the NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) throughout the season. NBC Sports will present more than 100 hours of IMSA coverage across its broadcast, cable, and digital platforms. The NBC Sports App and NBCSports.com will offer flag-to-flag live streaming coverage of every WeatherTech Championship race to authenticated subscribers.

“The resonance and gravity of this new partnership with NBC Sports Group for IMSA fans and our stakeholders cannot be overstated,” said IMSA CEO Ed Bennett. “This agreement is the culmination of a comprehensive process to align ourselves with a media rights partner that will capitalize on the tremendous momentum IMSA and the WeatherTech Championship are enjoying and will help our sport reach new heights. Without question, NBC Sports Group ‘gets’ motorsports and our unique premium product. We could not be prouder to call NBC Sports our future partner.

“We have enjoyed a long and rewarding partnership with FOX and they have helped grow our sport over the years,” Bennett added. “FOX has been an outstanding partner and been instrumental in elevating the status of IMSA and its Championships. We want to send our deepest appreciation to them for their unwavering support.”

“As the U.S. home of motorsports, we are excited to present IMSA’s high-quality and diverse racing circuit to our abundance of racing fans,” said Jon Miller, President, Programming, NBC Sports and NBCSN. “By utilizing our wide-array of broadcast, cable, and digital platforms, we can service IMSA and motorsports fans with more coverage and in more ways than ever before.”

This media rights agreement with NBC Sports Group capitalizes on IMSA’s unprecedented growth and its bright future including the sanctioning body celebrating its 50th Anniversary in 2019. This season started with a great deal of anticipation and it has lived up to these lofty expectations. The year began with some of the most famous names in motorsports joining the WeatherTech Championship. Helio Castroneves and Juan Pablo Montoya headlined the return of Acura Team Penske to IMSA competition. Two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso made his Rolex 24 At Daytona debut with United Autosports to rave reviews.

Among the highlights of this growth include record attendance at each race this year, unique television viewership for the year is on track to surpass last year’s record of 6.5 million viewers, and significant digital and social media growth which include a 40 percent increase in the number of total visitors to its website – IMSA.com – and a 25 percent increase in followers across its social channels. There has also been a 50 percent increase in hours of live race coverage streamed by fans, and a 14 percent increase in combined video views over previous years.

NBC Sports Group is the home of motorsports in the U.S., with this agreement adding to its extensive portfolio of auto racing that includes NASCAR and INDYCAR.

The 2019 season begins with the 57th Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 26-27, 2019 and the entire season broadcast schedule will be announced in the coming months.

I've got a feeling NBC will end up retaining exclusive NASCAR rights next contract. Fox doesn't seem to be as interested in motorsports as they were even three years ago.
FOX and NASCAR have been in bed together for a long time, but I could see this happening. FOX has so many other sports properties now that NASCAR could probably be expendable for them. NASCAR is huge for NBCSN.

"... what is currently known as the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge ..."
I missed something. Is Continental dropping only its sponsorship of that particular series, or it pulling out of IMSA entirely?

"... what is currently known as the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge ..."
I missed something. Is Continental dropping only its sponsorship of that particular series, or it pulling out of IMSA entirely?
Michelin won the tire contract from 2019 onwards. So CTSCC becomes the Michelin SportsCar Challenge, and they're also sponsoring the Michelin Endurance Cup (currently Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup).

GTLM will still be an open tire formula, but everyone there runs Michelins already anyways.

Sounds like they'll have 9 hours OTA moving forward, and they want to split them between Daytona/Sebring/Petit. FOX has 5 this year, between Daytona and Long Beach.

PRUETT: IMSA's NBC deal a potential game changer

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoint...sa-s-nbc-deal-a-potential-game-changer-149064

Great points here. NBC has been more than just a broadcaster, they've really been a partner with IndyCar, and NASCAR and even the NHL and the Premier League. They seem to be committed to motorsports moreso than anyone right now.

Plus, NBC has CNBC and MSNBC for overflow and these channels are in way more homes than FS2.

I've got a feeling NBC will end up retaining exclusive NASCAR rights next contract. Fox doesn't seem to be as interested in motorsports as they were even three years ago.
You can really see it this year with their coverage of just NASCAR, you can see they are slowly losing interest in motorsports.

I can’t see Fox dropping NASCAR. Quite simply unlike NBC and CBS they do not have golf for that Sunday daytime programming

FS1 and FS2 had become so crowded with live motorsports events it really had become
a cluster recently especially with weather delays or overtimes. NBC does a good job and
I am glad they are taking some of the load from Fox. I like them both equally however.

Bottom line, I am just glad IMSA has made it through some really hard times.

I think Mis was talking about spring/summer sports.
JMO but FOX should probably invest more in golf. Their US Open coverage is so unrefined. Like when they had only the BCS for college football and their coverage was just awkward and sloppy.

JMO but FOX should probably invest more in golf. Their US Open coverage is so unrefined. Like when they had only the BCS for college football and their coverage was just awkward and sloppy.
So it's not just my Darling Bride and I. We also think Fox' golf coverage isn't up to NBC / Golf Channel. Their cameramen have trouble following the ball in the air and then finding it on the ground.

Some people might cut Fox some slack because they only cover one event, but CBS only covers one and its Master coverage is the gold standard. I don't think Fox should invest more in their golf coverage, I think they should get out of it entirely.

So it's not just my Darling Bride and I. We also think Fox' golf coverage isn't up to NBC / Golf Channel. Their cameramen have trouble following the ball in the air and then finding it on the ground.

Some people might cut Fox some slack because they only cover one event, but CBS only covers one and its Master coverage is the gold standard. I don't think Fox should invest more in their golf coverage, I think they should get out of it entirely.
They have it through 2026 or something right? I think if they're committed that long they may as well pick up a few other tournaments here and there.

DjtoUpiUYAAzKX2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom