In Defense of Joey Logano

jaqua19

Team Owner
Let me prephase this by saying, yes, I did use chatgpt to help organize and proofread my writing.

Anyways...

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding Joey Logano’s place in the Championship 4 this season, with many fans arguing that his performance doesn’t merit a shot at the title. Given this discourse, I decided to analyze his performance, using a statistical model to rank the top 16 drivers of the Gen 7 era (2022–2024).

Rather than ranking every driver, because that would take far too long, I chose what I believe to be the top 16. Using their stats across multiple categories, I built a comprehensive weighted ranking that balances individual success, playoff performance, and consistency.

---

Each driver’s weighted score is based on a variety of performance metrics that are crucial to success in the current playoff system. Here are the categories and their assigned weights:

Championships (15%):
Championships matter, but since NASCAR’s format relies on a one-race championship, I opted not to give it the highest weight.

Race Wins (25%):
Winning is crucial in NASCAR. A win not only locks drivers into the playoffs but also advances them through rounds. Winning is the goal—so it receives the highest weight.

Top 5s (10%) and Top 10s (10%):
Consistency still plays a role, though not as significant as wins. Top 5s and 10s reflect how often a driver is in contention or near the front of the field, earning points throughout the season.

Laps Led (5%):
Laps led demonstrate how often a driver runs at the front, but since leading doesn’t guarantee wins or playoff advancement, it has a smaller weight.

Average Finish (5%):
This category reflects consistency over the entire season. However, in NASCAR’s playoff format, average finish doesn’t significantly impact the standings.

Playoff Wins (20%):
Postseason wins are vital. Winning a playoff race automatically advances drivers, making them incredibly valuable in the current system.

Final Four Appearances (10%):
Reaching the Championship 4 means a driver was consistent and played the playoff system well enough to have a 1-in-4 chance at the title. This metric reflects performance at the highest level of the playoffs.

---

Logano’s Performance: Breaking Down the Metrics

Below is the table of the top 16 drivers ranked by their weighted scores, including key performance metrics across Championships, Wins, Top 5s, Top 10s, Laps Led, Playoff Wins, Final 4 Appearances, and Average Finish:

Gen 7 .jpg

---

Logano’s Metrics and Rankings

Here’s how Joey Logano ranks across the key categories:

Championships: Tied for 1st

Race Wins: Tied for 3rd

Playoff Wins: 2nd

Top 5 Finishes: 8th

Top 10 Finishes: 9th

Laps Led: 8th

Average Finish: 10th

Final 4 Appearances: Tied for 1st

His average category ranking across these metrics is 5.25.

Using the weighted formula, Logano’s overall ranking score places him 2nd among all drivers in the Gen 7 era (2022–2024).

---

Is Logano Undeserving?

While it’s true that Logano’s 2024 season is statistically the weakest for a Championship 4 contender, the argument that he doesn’t deserve to be there doesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

Here’s why:

1. Performance Across Three Seasons:
Logano has been consistently competitive throughout the Gen 7 era. His overall performance in championships, wins, and playoff success justifies his position among the top drivers and these are the most important categories within the context of the current format.

2. Clutch Playoff Performances:
Logano’s 4 playoff wins—2nd most of the Gen 7 era—highlight his ability to deliver under pressure. His success in the playoffs shows that he plays the system effectively, earning his spot in the Final 4.

3. Top-Tier Rankings Across Key Metrics:
Logano ranks in the top 3 in many critical categories, including championships, race wins, and playoff wins. Even though his average finish is lower, the weight of his playoff success and wins places him near the top overall.

4. Playing the System Well:
Logano’s two Final 4 appearances reflect his ability to consistently contend for championships in a playoff environment. In today’s NASCAR, being clutch in key moments carries more weight than pure season-long consistency.

---

Logano is a Deserving Final 4 Contender

While Logano’s 2024 season may not stand out statistically, his overall body of work during the Gen 7 era places him among the very best drivers of the past three years.

Weighted Score: 2nd among Gen 7 drivers.

Multiple top-tier rankings in critical categories, including championships, wins, and playoff success.

Ultimately, Logano’s ability to succeed when it matters most—particularly in the playoffs—justifies his place in the Championship 4. His critics may question his spot this season, but the data suggests that Logano has earned his place among the elite drivers in NASCAR’s modern era.

If you believe that Logano being ranked second is indicative of faulty weight, I hear you! It can always be altered. Feel free to merge with the Logano thread

tl/dr Joey needs no defense.
I hate that I was reading other threads when I could have been the first to post that.
There has been a lot of discussion surrounding Joey Logano’s place in the Championship 4 this season, with many fans arguing that his performance doesn’t merit a shot at the title.
Screw 'em.

Exactly. He raced his way to the checkered flag and into the final four.

Guy’s a stud race car driver.
I agree. Logano is an elite driver and has been for a long time. He needs no defense.

However, the analysis performed by @jaqua19 is seriously flawed because it uses 2022-24 results to measure whether Joey is fully deserving of competing in Phoenix for the 2024 championship. Being deserving of the 2024 championship should be based only on 2024 results... 2022 and 2023 are 100% irrelevant to this question.

It's the same as the ridiculous argument that Kyle Busch deserves to be in the 2024 playoff field because of his impressive total body of work, while Harrison Burton should not be playoff eligible. No, that is wrong. Burton had at least one great day in 2024 (won a race), while Busch didn't even achieve that. Winning matters most of all. It's what everyone wants to do. Burton got it done; Busch did not. It doesn't make Burton a better driver than Busch... but it does make him more deserving of being in the playoff field in 2024.

I think it is a moot point wondering if a driver is "deserving" with the points system in place because it is so skewed on winning is everything. Logano has a one in four chance of being the cup champion in the final four lottery event. If Logano wins, it will be very similar to last years winner. No smoke on both of them, but I have been around long enough to know it is the skewed points system to blame that downplays consistency, and highly rewards wins in the right places.

Bottom line, Logano with the weakest record of those left has just as good of a chance as winning the title as the other three in the final race. His record to get to this point disappears.

Let me prephase this by saying, yes, I did use chatgpt to help organize and proofread my writing.

Anyways...

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding Joey Logano’s place in the Championship 4 this season, with many fans arguing that his performance doesn’t merit a shot at the title. Given this discourse, I decided to analyze his performance, using a statistical model to rank the top 16 drivers of the Gen 7 era (2022–2024).

Rather than ranking every driver, because that would take far too long, I chose what I believe to be the top 16. Using their stats across multiple categories, I built a comprehensive weighted ranking that balances individual success, playoff performance, and consistency.

---

Each driver’s weighted score is based on a variety of performance metrics that are crucial to success in the current playoff system. Here are the categories and their assigned weights:

Championships (15%):
Championships matter, but since NASCAR’s format relies on a one-race championship, I opted not to give it the highest weight.

Race Wins (25%):
Winning is crucial in NASCAR. A win not only locks drivers into the playoffs but also advances them through rounds. Winning is the goal—so it receives the highest weight.

Consistency still plays a role, though not as significant as wins. Top 5s and 10s reflect how often a driver is in contention or near the front of the field, earning points throughout the season.

Laps Led (5%):
Laps led demonstrate how often a driver runs at the front, but since leading doesn’t guarantee wins or playoff advancement, it has a smaller weight.

Average Finish (5%):
This category reflects consistency over the entire season. However, in NASCAR’s playoff format, average finish doesn’t significantly impact the standings.

Playoff Wins (20%):
Postseason wins are vital. Winning a playoff race automatically advances drivers, making them incredibly valuable in the current system.

Reaching the Championship 4 means a driver was consistent and played the playoff system well enough to have a 1-in-4 chance at the title. This metric reflects performance at the highest level of the playoffs.

---

Below is the table of the top 16 drivers ranked by their weighted scores, including key performance metrics across Championships, Wins, Top 5s, Top 10s, Laps Led, Playoff Wins, Final 4 Appearances, and Average Finish:

View attachment 81131

---

Using the weighted formula, Logano’s overall ranking score places him 2nd among all drivers in the Gen 7 era (2022–2024).

---

Is Logano Undeserving?

While it’s true that Logano’s 2024 season is statistically the weakest for a Championship 4 contender, the argument that he doesn’t deserve to be there doesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

Here’s why:

Logano has been consistently competitive throughout the Gen 7 era. His overall performance in championships, wins, and playoff success justifies his position among the top drivers and these are the most important categories within the context of the current format.

Logano’s 4 playoff wins—2nd most of the Gen 7 era—highlight his ability to deliver under pressure. His success in the playoffs shows that he plays the system effectively, earning his spot in the Final 4.

Logano ranks in the top 3 in many critical categories, including championships, race wins, and playoff wins. Even though his average finish is lower, the weight of his playoff success and wins places him near the top overall.

Logano’s two Final 4 appearances reflect his ability to consistently contend for championships in a playoff environment. In today’s NASCAR, being clutch in key moments carries more weight than pure season-long consistency.

---

While Logano’s 2024 season may not stand out statistically, his overall body of work during the Gen 7 era places him among the very best drivers of the past three years.

Multiple top-tier rankings in critical categories, including championships, wins, and playoff success.

Ultimately, Logano’s ability to succeed when it matters most—particularly in the playoffs—justifies his place in the Championship 4. His critics may question his spot this season, but the data suggests that Logano has earned his place among the elite drivers in NASCAR’s modern era.

If you believe that Logano being ranked second is indicative of faulty weight, I hear you! It can always be altered. Feel free to merge with the Logano thread
Appreciate the effort, but Joey is worthy by virtue of the fact that the Chain Gang opened the door, and he walked through it. Sports.

Despite the fact that Logano is right there with being my LEAST favorite driver of the last 20 years, you have to hate the system, not the driver that takes advantage of it, and even though he shouldn't have even BEEN in this round of the playoffs, you can't fault Joey or the 22 team for taking advantage of someone else's blatantly stupid mistake. I truly hate that he's in the final Four, I truly hate WHY he is got a chance to be in the final Four, and I truly hate the fact that he now has a very good chance to win the whole thing, but NONE of that is Joey's fault. You play the game by the rules you are given, idiotic or not.

I’d rather be lucky than good any day. Joey was fortunate to make it to the current round but he’s just as deserving of a final 4 berth than anyone.

I don’t care for the playoffs or lottery championship but I respect those that do.

Anyways...

---

Championships (15%):

Race Wins (25%):

Laps Led (5%):

Average Finish (5%):

Playoff Wins (20%):

---

View attachment 81131

---

---

Is Logano Undeserving?

Here’s why:

---

Hats off to ya my man, hell of an effort putting this together, well done!

It does my heart good to see a driver like Chase Elliott saying in a nice way that the playoff format sucks.

Back
Top Bottom