In Defense of Texas Motor Speedway...

G'day, mate! (Did I say that correctly?)

It looks like Texas is currently selling only season tickets that include all 2023 events, and that there are no tickets for only the NASCAR race at this time. That ought to encourage long-distance travelers :sarcasm:. They may begin selling single-event tickets after they think they've sold as many season tickets as they can, so keep an eye on the web site or subscribe to their e-mails.

Yep, you got it right.....

I saw the same thing, but I believe as each event nears, single event tickets are available. Just wondering what this years tickets cost for the nascar event.

I don't bitch about tracks. They race. I watch. I am happy. Can't wait for this race. So crucial for MY Toyotas.
I don't bitch about tracks either. It's the same track for everybody, so may the best driver and team figure it out. These are supposed to be the best drivers and teams, so I don't like hearing any whining.

As for your Toyotas, your favorites are fine with me as long as you don't begrudge anybody else their favorites. Although I have no problems with people defending their favorites from haters. I've always tended toward rooting for any cars that provide a good show, no matter what brand.

I don't bitch about tracks either. It's the same track for everybody, so may the best driver and team figure it out. These are supposed to be the best drivers and teams, so I don't like hearing any whining.

As for your Toyotas, your favorites are fine with me as long as you don't begrudge anybody else their favorites. Although I have no problems with people defending their favorites from haters. I've always tended toward rooting for any cars that provide a good show, no matter what brand.
I am here for the manufacturer rivalry.

I am here for the manufacturer rivalry.
Fine with me. I used to be that way too, until NASCAR made the cars too standardized and then my manufacturer disappeared (Pontiac). Today we have a new version of IROC cars with the only difference being the engines. Maybe I could be lured back into manufacturer rivalry if the cars at least had the same dimensions as the street cars they claim to represent, but they don't even do that anymore.

Fine with me. I used to be that way too, until NASCAR made the cars too standardized and then my manufacturer disappeared (Pontiac). Today we have a new version of IROC cars with the only difference being the engines. Maybe I could be lured back into manufacturer rivalry if the cars at least had the same dimensions as the street cars they claim to represent, but they don't even do that anymore.
Eh, depends on how you look at it. I feel like racing is MY manufacturer's expression of what WE do when WE go racing. In this, I have no need for the cars to look like what is offered for the consumer. I do think NASCAR could do a better job, however, of allowing technologies such as tire pressure monitoring systems, oh, I don't know, gas gauges, etc. to mirror what is offered on the consumer side.

Eh, depends on how you look at it. I feel like racing is MY manufacturer's expression of what WE do when WE go racing. In this, I have no need for the cars to look like what is offered for the consumer. I do think NASCAR could do a better job, however, of allowing technologies such as tire pressure monitoring systems, oh, I don't know, gas gauges, etc. to mirror what is offered on the consumer side.
The way I look at it is from the perspective of how NASCAR tried to present itself. The SC in NASCAR stands for Stock Car... the promotional phrase used to be "win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Although Cup series cars have been quite different from their showroom counterparts for decades, now there is nothing in common between Cup cars and showroom cars - not even their outside dimensions.

I don't mind your perspective. It's just odd to me that a racing series that built itself upon competition between vehicles that fans could easily identify with has gotten so askew. Honda's participation in IndyCar didn't bother me - but IndyCar also doesn't try to promote itself as representing street cars.

Agree about how NASCAR has been odd about which technologies it allows in its race cars. For example, carburetors were gone from street cars for over twenty years before NASCAR allowed EFI. But allowing various ****pit gauges (like tire pressure monitoring or gas gauges) won't do much to impress most fans because they cannot see inside the ****pit as the cars race by. They certainly can see body shapes and dimensions though...

My buddies decided that today's NASCAR stands for "No Actual Stock Cars Are Represented".

The way I look at it is from the perspective of how NASCAR tried to present itself. The SC in NASCAR stands for Stock Car... the promotional phrase used to be "win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Although Cup series cars have been quite different from their showroom counterparts for decades, now there is nothing in common between Cup cars and showroom cars - not even their outside dimensions.

I don't mind your perspective. It's just odd to me that a racing series that built itself upon competition between vehicles that fans could easily identify with has gotten so askew. Honda's participation in IndyCar didn't bother me - but IndyCar also doesn't try to promote itself as representing street cars.

Agree about how NASCAR has been odd about which technologies it allows in its race cars. For example, carburetors were gone from street cars for over twenty years before NASCAR allowed EFI. But allowing various ****pit gauges (like tire pressure monitoring or gas gauges) won't do much to impress most fans because they cannot see inside the ****pit as the cars race by. They certainly can see body shapes and dimensions though...

My buddies decided that today's NASCAR stands for "No Actual Stock Cars Are Represented".
street version on the left
1664842648133.png

street version top left
1664842772752.png

Camera angles and relative distances can make it tough to see the differences between street car dimensions and NASCAR Cup car dimensions.
Cup car dimensions are 193.4" long by 78.6" wide by 50.4" high.
Stock Camaro is 188" to 190" long by 75" wide by 53" high.
Stock Mustang is 186" long by 74" wide by 64" high.
Stock Camry is 192" to 193" long by 72" wide by 56" to 57" high.

So the Cup car is longer and wider and shorter than all three street cars (although admittedly not by much in a couple places).
The Cup car tries to make a Camaro and a Mustang and a Camry the same size, while their street versions aren't so similar.
Smokey Yunick could be wondering why all this body massaging is okay now, when it wasn't during his day...

At least the Camaro and Mustang are rear wheel drive and can be bought with a V8 engine.

We’re not defending Texas Motor Speedway anymore in this thread?

We’re not defending Texas Motor Speedway anymore in this thread?
I'd rather talk about almost anything other than defending that dumpster fire of a race track. If they want a roval on the schedule, put it at TMS and revert Charlotte back to two oval races.

Back
Top Bottom