StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1691443530068.png

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course
2:30pm/et, Sunday, August 13
TV: NBC
Radio: IMS, SiriusXM
Stage Laps: 15/35/82

Practice/Qualifying: 11:35-1:30pm/et, Sat. Aug. 12. TV – USA.
The entry list for the Verizon 200 NASCAR Cup Series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is posted, 39 teams/drivers [for 40 spots] are listed.
Some of the drivers entered include: #15-Jenson Button, #33-Brodie Kostecki, #42-TBA, #51-Andy Lally, #67-Kamui Kobayashi, #78-Josh Bilicki, #91-Shane van Gisbergen

1691443723569.png

Sad that we are going back to the farce of an oval instead of what is an entertaining race.

New, different car on new, different tires. On a track that races rather like Pocono, there’s a better than even chance that a good race will result.

I’m reminded of the abusive forecasts posted here prior to the street race in Chicago.

I sure hope the 48 team can turn their luck around and close one out at Indy. They are running out of time and I sure don’t want to see Bowman’s perfect streak of making every playoff since joining HMS come to an end.

Likely the last on the Indy road course! It was fun but I really think the new cars would do great on the big track. Probably will race more like Indycars with higher cornering speeds and drafting down the straights.
Curious to see how the car will run without the diffuser. I think they said they’re going try it out for Indy and Pocono if the test is successful.

The oval isn't the most exciting race, but it's better than a fake road course.
I‘d bet on this car delivering on the excitement that people want to see when the series goes back to the oval . I was wrong about the street course, so hopefully others will be wrong on this one a year from now.

Fake? It was a ******* F1 track
Notably, not a very good or uncontroversial one…and the Miami Dolphins’ parking lot complex is also a Formula 1 circuit, so that, by itself, doesn’t mean a whole lot.

After outgrowing Watkins Glen, flaming out at Long Beach and Phoenix, and being run out of Detroit, there quite literally weren’t any other options for F1 in America besides carving a road course out of the IMS infield.

Notably, not a very good or uncontroversial one…and the Miami Dolphins’ parking lot complex is also a Formula 1 circuit, so that, by itself, doesn’t mean a whole lot.

After outgrowing Watkins Glen, flaming out at Long Beach and Phoenix, and being run out of Detroit, there quite literally weren’t any other options for F1 in America besides carving a road course out of the IMS infield.
Roger Penske says:
“We hope to maybe have a Formula 1 race at Indianapolis because we have an FIA-certified track there, so we will see.

Roger Penske says:
“We hope to maybe have a Formula 1 race at Indianapolis because we have an FIA-certified track there, so we will see.
Those discussions never really took off. Since then, they added street races in Miami and Las Vegas, and there are a total of three races in the U.S. They probably don’t want to jump to four anytime soon. If they did, they’re so down bad for glitzy street races right now they’d probably just add a third.

In lieu of that, his focus with the road course has been to add major sports car events. In addition to bringing back IMSA this year and making it an enduro next year, there will likely be a WEC event added in 2025.

I wish there was a way to get it back to Watkins Glen but I don't think it meets F1 safety standards.

Any word who might be piloting that 133 entry? I've gone down to Indy the last two years for the Saturday doubleheader (cheap! IRP racing too!) but I've never invested in the Cup ticket because, honestly, I'm terrified of being there for 4 hours due to cautions. Now that stage breaks are gone from road races, my perspective has dramatically shifted and I think the lineup of ringers is really unique and exciting. Rockenfeller getting added only ramps that up even more.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Indianapolis​

GOODYEAR TIRE NOTES

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 24 – 82 laps / 200 miles
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.439-mile road course) – Indianapolis, Ind.
Fast Facts for August 12-13, 2023

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Road Course Radials

Set limits: 1 set for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 6 sets for the race
(5 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-Front/Right-Rear: D-5212; Right-Front/Left-Rear: D-5213

Tire Circumference: 2,275 mm (89.57 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 22 psi; Right Front — 20 psi;
Left Rear — 17 psi; Right Rear — 17 psi

Storyline – Cup teams ready for back-to-back road courses: In recent years, the NASCAR Cup circuit has increased the number of road and street courses it runs on, and this weekend we start a two-week stretch on left-right circuits. This week’s stop is at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and its 14-turn, 2.439-mile course. Having run at Circuit of The Americas, Sonoma Raceway and the Chicago street course already this season, Cup teams are very familiar with the Goodyear tire set-up. Goodyear’s directionally mounted road course tires are designated for specific corners of the car, different than the normal left-side/right-side combinations run on ovals. The two tire codes — one on left-front and right-rear tire positions and one on the right-front and left-rear — are all, in reality, the same tire. The difference is that mounting them directionally on the wheel allows Goodyear to build each of the two codes and decorate the outboard sidewall while having the tread run directionally to handle the different stresses asked of it – hard braking into the corners and hard acceleration off.

“We went to this system on one tire with two codes on road courses last season,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Mounting directionally on all four corners of the car helps protect the beveled tread splice of the tire. This allows the tread splice to be ‘closed’ on both front tires under the force of braking and on both rear tires under the force of acceleration. The other benefit over having just one code is that it helps teams designate which corner of the car each tire is optimally designed for.”

Notes – Cup teams on standard road course tire set-up at IMS: Being on 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the NASCAR Xfinity Series on the Indianapolis road course this week . . . this is a different tire set-up than these teams ran at IMS last year, featuring a compound change to give the cars more grip and introduce more tire wear and fall-off in lap times over the course of a run . . . this tire set-up debuted at COTA in March and has been subsequently run at Sonoma and Chicago . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in their tires.

Wet Weather Tires – Goodyear brings white-lettered “wets” to Indy: Goodyear will bring its 18-inch wet weather radials to Indianapolis for use by teams in the NASCAR Cup Series, should NASCAR decide that conditions warrant . . . the tread pattern on this tire is based on Goodyear’s Eagle Supercar 3 consumer tire . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran a wet weather tire in competition Chicago street course last month . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

It's getting pretty comical when I read "softer compound" so I guess the new thing is compound change now.

It's getting pretty comical when I read "softer compound" so I guess the new thing is compound change now.
It’s literally a black art … looking for the magic and every track and every weather weekend is different.

Goodyear’s efforts are little understood and wildly under-appreciated by the DARF community.

Most of the field will still being navigating T12-13 when the leaders get to the acceleration zone, should string the field out quite a bit more.

Slightly off topic, but NFL parking lots are often just expansive masses of nothing and it'd be cool if they could be used in the offseason by local racing groups to make makeshift road courses. Or maybe even by the Xfinity or Truck Series to break into a new market.

Well if it rains Friday at least SVG will actually get a true NASCAR oval experience. :XXROFL: ;)

It’s literally a black art … looking for the magic and every track and every weather weekend is different.

Goodyear’s efforts are little understood and wildly under-appreciated by the DARF community.

Yeah, I'll be the first one to say I don't know jack about producing a tire compound. But when fresh tires no longer matter nearly as much as they once did, that tells me the racing could be better with more grip/wear "like the old days". On top of that, tire failures seem to be more common than they were in the past. That seems obvious considering the lower profile sidewall and teams running under the recommended PSI, among other things. I realize there are a ton of factors and variables. I just think/hope there's still a lot of room for improvement with the 18" tires.

Yeah, I'll be the first one to say I don't know jack about producing a tire compound. But when fresh tires no longer matter nearly as much as they once did, that tells me the racing could be better with more grip/wear "like the old days". On top of that, tire failures seem to be more common than they were in the past. That seems obvious considering the lower profile sidewall and teams running under the recommended PSI, among other things. I realize there are a ton of factors and variables. I just think/hope there's still a lot of room for improvement with the 18" tires.
I love Greg Stucker. I heard him say once that the paradox of a tire company's involvement in motorsports is that on the consumer side we want longevity and safety......on the racing side we want wear and safety. I think that if this was all about Goodyear, we would have tire pressure sensors and minimum air pressure requirements.....which we should because we have that on the consumer side. Wonder if we could make this less paradoxical if this was the case.

They don't have the under liner or what it's called that they used to have on the larger tracks with the taller tire, so if a flat happens it is usually all over...and then the thing is sometimes sitting on the ground and it is wrecker time.

Back
Top Bottom