Indy 500 Practice and Qualifying

Yep. This will be his last time singing at Indy. I guess his age (84 in June) and the traveling from Hawaii is catching up with him. It is a real pleasure to hear him, though. :)

It also sucks that Dario Franchitti is on the sidelines now instead of on the track! The good news is that he's still alive and able to be there at all.

Did any of you guys see that live? That was hairy. Glad to see he's ok.

Did any of you guys see that live? That was hairy. Glad to see he's ok.

Glad he is okay, updates appreciated I am work, I suppose many others are too. So please keep us updated.

I thought the dirty air off the car in front may have caught him off guard. but I'm no expert. That was a pretty big pack of cars coming through turn two.

BoBAr3KIQAA38G2.jpg

BoBDg58IIAAweeU.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-crash-at-indianpolis-motor-speedway/9289059/

Kurt Busch crashes in Indy 500 practiceStaff report, USA TODAY Sports8 minutes agoFacebookTwitterGoogle Plusmore

Mike Fair, AP

The car driven by Kurt Busch catches fire after hitting the Turn 2 wall during practice for the Indianapolis 500 on Monday.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Kurt Busch had his first crash at Indianapolis Motor Speedway during practice for Sunday's Indianapolis 500 and he's OK.

Busch, driving a fifth car for Andretti Autosport, got loose and smacked the Turn 2 wall hard, hitting the SAFER barrier. Flames erupted from behind his No. 26 Honda and his car did a half-spin and came to rest in the grass at the exit of the turn.

Busch climbed unassisted from his car. Verizon IndyCar Series medical director Michael Olinger confirmed the rookie was cleared to drive after being checked and released from the infield care center.

Busch was following a group of cars in Monday's race-preparation practice when his car wiggled and then shot to the wall as he tried to save it from crashing. It was a big hit and his car will need extensive repairs. If his team can't get it ready in time, they can use a backup car without penalty. He is qualified 12th.

Team manager Kyle Moyer put the possible rebuilding of the car at "50-50."

Busch is trying to become the fourth driver to attempt the 1,100-mile motorsports double -- running the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.

Busch had turned 56 laps in Monday's session and he had just completed a lap of 223.433 mph. His fastest of the day was 225.623 mph.

"I was starting to feel comfortable. That's when I made the mistake of just letting my guard down or settling into that long run type mentality whereas with an IndyCar you have to be on edge," Busch said. "You have to keep track of where you are at all times and the adjustments in the car. Maybe I just didn't keep up with keeping the car underneath me. Trying to get into that rhythm and feel other things around you and I got behind on my adjustments in the car."

Busch relishes chance to run Indy 500, Coke 600

Rain plagued last week's practice sessions, limiting drivers' time on the 2.5-mile superspeedway.

Because Busch is attempting the double, his time has been even more limited as he juggles duties for IndyCar and NASCAR -- flying between Indianapolis and Charlotte last weekend for practice, qualifying and the Sprint Cup All-Star Race.

The 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion hasn't raced an IndyCar before and told USA TODAY Sports' Nate Ryan in an extensive interview this weekend as he traveled between Indianapolis and Charlotte "I'm enjoying and taking it all in. To be on the fourth row of the Indianapolis 500, I'll give it a thumbs up."

NASCAR Stewart-Haas Racing team owner and teammate Tony Stewart -- the only driver to succesfully complete the double -- backs Busch's attempt and has said "He'll have a lot to learn in a short amount of time, but he has an overwhelming amount of driving talent on his side."

Busch just missed qualifying in the Fast Nine -- the group of drivers who competed for the Indy 500 pole Sunday -- when he left Saturday's session early to arrive on time for the drivers' meeting before the All-Star Race.

Busch will have one more practice session -- a one-hour slot on Friday's Carb Day.

"We still have Carb Day to shake things down and get back in the groove," Busch said. "This created a lot of work for the Andretti guys. I feel bad for that. As a rookie, there's things you learn and put it up on the edge and get away with and then there's times when it will bite you. It's just tough. I thought I was finding a rhythm and settling into that long run type pace and learning the tows and the draft and I didn't keep track of the adjustments of the car."

Girlfriend Patricia Driscoll tweeted that the driver was OK shortly after the accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. ET.

Monday's practice session is slated to run until 5 p.m. ET and is the final session before Friday's one-hour Carb Day.

Is there a live stream of practice during the day somewhere? Oh well, doesn't matter now since the only practice left is Carb Day and it'll be on NBCSN.

Okay just got home last night. Epic weekend:

I went places I wasn't supposed to go:

In the presence of awesome, getting some driving tips:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could "like" this three or four more times.

Anybody here know Jeremy's crew? I think they are from Ohio. Camped across the road from where I parked. The bar is on the other side, facing the track:
i175FU6.jpg

Is there a live stream of practice during the day somewhere? Oh well, doesn't matter now since the only practice left is Carb Day and it'll be on NBCSN.

Indycar.com had a live stream going during all practice sessions. They will not be showing video feed Friday because NBC has the right to the coverage I believe.

More stuff...
Imagine someone squeezing a bag full of cats:
xuoyFdi.jpg

For some reason, Hinch's team hired a harem to parade around behind his car:
8bGJlUp.jpg

And, here's the Mayor's ball-and-chain:
gT65J56.jpg

She is so hot. Mmph

Even if Hinch never wins a race again, I'd say he's doing quite alright.

Definitely already a winner in the game of life. Haha

It's like winning the Heisman Trophy, once that happens your life is just handled. Haha

If you liked the fan-made 2014 Delta Force intro, here's the real deal from 1992.

I love the quote from Super Tex. "I know you got a bunch of brave heroes out there say they're not scared of nothing. All I can say is they never run fast enough or they've never been hurt."

Read an article on USAToday.com where they kind of matter-of-factly said they wouldn't be able to repair Kurt's car for the race and they would go to a backup.

Then I saw the pictures and thought - WELL - no kidding...I don't think they can fix that sucker for next year's race...that car is really messed up...glad he's OK.

Last edited:
Read an article on USAToday.com where they kind of matter-of-factly said they wouldn't be able to repair Kurt's car for the race and they would go to a backup.

Then I saw the pictures and thought - WELL - no kidding...I don't think they can fix that sucker for next year's race...that car is really messed up...glad he's OK.
I saw a quote from Kurt on the ticker on the bottom of the screen on SportsCenter just after the wreck saying he wouldn't miss Carb Day tomorrow. I assumed they would fix the car without really thinking about it but even then they must have known they were going to the backup car.

If you liked the fan-made 2014 Delta Force intro, here's the real deal from 1992.

I love the quote from Super Tex. "I know you got a bunch of brave heroes out there say they're not scared of nothing. All I can say is they never run fast enough or they've never been hurt."

That is one of the key things I watch with a new driver. How fast are they after they have their first big crash.

Lots of folks picking Montoya as a semi-sleeper...if he can keep it going the whole race.

That is one of the key things I watch with a new driver. How fast are they after they have their first big crash.

Yeah...not like it was Kurt Busch's first big crash...but first in an Indy car (as far as I know)...bummer...I think that may take some of the starch out him. Plus, the backup cars at Indy aren't usually up to par with the primarys. I was hoping he could contend but now I expect them to plug in bigtime downforce and KuBu will likely be out there mid-pack at best.

I'll still be pulling for him but I don't expect much now.

Back
Top Bottom