Indy 500 Race Day Thread

I don't usually watch Indy cars but that was a good race IMO. Lots of lead changes and mid pack racing as well.
I was glad to see A.J. with a strong run and a 7th place finish. Had one of the best cars all day. That's a good run for a rookie. Congrats to TK. got to get ready for the 600 now;)

I don't usually watch Indy cars but that was a good race IMO. Lots of lead changes and mid pack racing as well.
I was glad to see A.J. with a strong run and a 7th place finish. Had one of the best cars all day. That's a good run for a rookie. Congrats to TK. got to get ready for the 600 now;)

Yep...got the grill going and the Coors at the ready. Hopefully the 600 will be as good a show.

Naw...he just seeed like "well we didn't have the car today - but I'm glad TK won". Then they showed the replay of him hitting the wall and it seemed like a pretty shallow angle and his hands weren't moving the wheel to correct.

One might think that...if he had real time info on who was leading.....
Lol I think you are just kidding.

Imo no way anybody but a fool hits a wall by choice in an open wheel car, but even with teethered wheels to many things can go wrong, between a tire and a head.

If I was going to get a caution, a spin to the grass(y knoll) would be my magic bullet for a TK win.

Lol I think you are just kidding.

Imo no way anybody but a fool hits a wall by choice in an open wheel car, but even with teethered wheels to many things can go wrong, between a tire and a head.

If I was going to get a caution, a spin to the grass(y knoll) would be my magic bullet for a TK win.

Yeah...I agree...like I said - you would have to be a conspiracy theorist...plus...the way they were passing each other so quickly there would be no way he could really plan that...I don't think ;)...unless....

Indy car racing seems to be getting better the last 2 years, After that jack ass Tony George almost completly destroyed it back in the 90's.

He really did...basically blew up a good thing. I used to follow at least three races, Indy (of course), then Michigan, then the Milwaukee mile. Then I might check in to see who was going to win the championship, or catch a race here and there. Now it's just Indy and that product has gone downhill for many years.

Maybe this is the the beginning of a turnaround but I don't know. I caught the end of "bump day" (used to be exciting) and it was just silly. They tried to sell the drama but there was only one extra car and it never even made an attempt late.

He really did...basically blew up a good thing. I used to follow at least three races, Indy (of course), then Michigan, then the Milwaukee mile. Then I might check in to see who was going to win the championship, or catch a race here and there. Now it's just Indy and that product has gone downhill for many years.

Maybe this is the the beginning of a turnaround but I don't know. I caught the end of "bump day" (used to be exciting) and it was just silly. They tried to sell the drama but there was only one extra car and it never even made an attempt late.
Agree, bump day was boring. No drama.

Twitter bitching between Pippa and Saavedra.

8848008477_ba9282e8bc_o.jpg

Why the hell doesn't IndyCar have G/W/C finishes? Good grief.

The same reason F1, Grand Am, or all other racing series not under the NASCAR umbrella don't have it. This isn't stick and ball, there are no ties, and thus no logical reason the advertised end of the race shouldn't really be the end. GWC is essentially an amateurish do-over rule, and IndyCar needs that about as much as they need a "playoff."

Maybe no one has complained about it in NASCAR, but I'd sure hate to be the guy who leads lap 200 of a 200 lap race and doesn't win.

G/W/C at the Indy 500 would be the stupidest decision ever made. The fact that the race finished under caution took absolutely nothing away from a tremendous race.

G/W/C at the Indy 500 would be the stupidest decision ever made. The fact that the race finished under caution took absolutely nothing away from a tremendous race.
I agree but I have to say the G/W/C is exciting. I think the 500 should maintain tradition. I have no problem with the G/W/C in NASCAR, I don't think it would work very well in an open wheel series.

NASCAR shows it can easily adapt like when the cable harmed cars last night and they let teams fix the cars to neutralize a non racing event. I don't think any other race series could correct a problem so quickly.

I agree but I have to say the G/W/C is exciting. I think the 500 should maintain tradition. I have no problem with the G/W/C in NASCAR, I don't think it would work very well in an open wheel series.

NASCAR shows it can easily adapt like when the cable harmed cars last night and they let teams fix the cars to neutralize a non racing event. I don't think any other race series could correct a problem so quickly.
Yeah, I like the GWC in NASCAR. But in Indycar, I think it would be disastrous. Especially at Indy.

I think NASCAR kinda lends itself to the G/W/C rule with the ability to bump and run and all. GWC finishes are usually great at most of the tracks on the circuit too.

I didn't feel like it took anything away from the race yesterday to see it finish under yellow. At least we got to see some good passing right before the yellow came out. Everyone was going for the lead there at the end.

I think NASCAR kinda lends itself to the G/W/C rule with the ability to bump and run and all. GWC finishes are usually great at most of the tracks on the circuit too.

I didn't feel like it took anything away from the race yesterday to see it finish under yellow. At least we got to see some good passing right before the yellow came out. Everyone was going for the lead there at the end.
they were showing re-runs all week of Indy 500's and many finished under yellows. Some had the winner and another driver or two at least two laps ahead of the field.

GWC would not work in Indycar, especially on the ovals. Help maintain the legacy of Indy and keep the race 500 miles not possibly 505 or 510. GWC would do nothing more than destroy many more cars, and on ovals at speed of 220 those crashes could be deadly.

they were showing re-runs all week of Indy 500's and many finished under yellows. Some had the winner and another driver or two at least two laps ahead of the field.
This has also been the case in stock car racing as recently as the '70s, when there were lots of dominating victories. Ned Jarrett won at Darlington in '65 by 14 laps.

Indy doesn't need GWC, 'lucky dog', or other gimmicks. Before the final restart, TK told Jimmy Vasser that he was going to go for it, "all or nothing", because he'd been the victim of late yellows before. It worked for him this time.

Interestingly, due to penalties during the race in '95, Jacques Villeneuve had to make up two extra laps, earning the victory after driving 505 miles.

This has also been the case in stock car racing as recently as the '70s, when there were lots of dominating victories. Ned Jarrett won at Darlington in '65 by 14 laps.

I think the last Cup race where the whole field was a lap down was as late as like '92. I want to say Geoff Bodine at Sonoma or something. Time to hit up racing-reference.

I don't like G/W/C finishes. I compare it to the ball-and-stick sports. Sometimes, you go to the ballgame and it's a blow out and one team wins by 50 points. Sometimes, you go to a race and it finishes under caution. That's life.

as long as we are on that G/W/C finish topic..what about the G/W/C freaking chase? Stick and ball all the way, totally fabricated hogwash, just like a debris caution to bunch up the field. It has in the past created some drama when Tony went nuts and won the deal, but it sprung from an overreaction to fans whining about Kenseth who place raced into a championship. Waaa he didn't WIN enough. IMO now it is prejudiced against drivers who try to finish well and take what the equipment gives them on a given race. Sometimes I think Nascar is listening to the wrong fans. I had no problem with the first place team out front a ways in either the race or the standings, there was always somebody either in the race or in the standings that the outcome could go either way. It wasn't for first place though and therin lies the rub I guess.
Look at last year, even after all the hoop jumping resetting everything and with the press making something out of nothing, all Kez did was ride around the last race..whoopie he finished 15 and that made it all good, so even if Jimmy had won the race and every point there was to get, Kez had to just finish 15th. fact is as it turned out, he didn't even have to finish to win, just start and park.

as long as we are on that G/W/C finish topic..what about the G/W/C freaking chase? Stick and ball all the way, totally fabricated hogwash, just like a debris caution to bunch up the field. It has in the past created some drama when Tony went nuts and won the deal, but it sprung from an overreaction to fans whining about Kenseth who place raced into a championship. Waaa he didn't WIN enough. IMO now it is prejudiced against drivers who try to finish well and take what the equipment gives them on a given race. Sometimes I think Nascar is listening to the wrong fans. I had no problem with the first place team out front a ways in either the race or the standings, there was always somebody either in the race or in the standings that the outcome could go either way. It wasn't for first place though and therin lies the rub I guess.
Look at last year, even after all the hoop jumping resetting everything and with the press making something out of nothing, all Kez did was ride around the last race..whoopie he finished 15 and that made it all good, so even if Jimmy had won the race and every point there was to get, Kez had to just finish 15th. fact is as it turned out, he didn't even have to finish to win, just start and park.

I think part of that was Roger Penske's fault. Ryan Newman (then in the #12) won 8 races that year but crashed up his car the other 28 and Kenseth won the championship with 1 win and I remember all that winter Penske was bitching about "a points system where a guy with 1 win can win it all."

They say it was pure coincidence, been researching for years..yeah right:)

"The Matt Kenseth Rule"

The Chase has been referred to as "the Matt Kenseth Rule" as a result of Kenseth's championship in the final Winston Cup in 2003, the year prior to NASCAR adopting the Chase system and Nextel becoming the namesake sponsor. In 2003, Kenseth won the then-Winston Cup series championship despite winning only one race (that being the third race of the year in Las Vegas Motor Speedway) but ending the season with 25 top-ten finishes. In contrast, Ryan Newman won eight races that year (22% of the 36 races run in 2003), but finished sixth in points. In truth, "the Matt Kenseth Rule" more properly refers to the NASCAR numerical scoring system also implemented for the 2004 season, which increased the points awarded to race winners, thus emphasizing winning in addition to consistency. NASCAR acknowledged that the 2003 championship outcome was not the driving factor in establishment of The Chase, as NASCAR had been researching methods to adjust the points system to put more emphasis on winning races since 2000. However, the coincidence of the commencement of the new format in 2004 and Kenseth's 2003 championship linked the issues, and were even referred to by NASCAR officials in the interviews and press releases following the announcement of the new format.

By replying to StandOnIt's comment about finishing margins, I seem to have unwittingly derailed the thread. Please take any further replies about NASCAR rules to the appropriate thread.

Here's a link to lots of interesting info about the race, including lap-by-lap leaders, fastest lap speed, and breakdown of the prize money awarded to all the participants in the Indy 500:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com:8080/var/assets/97thIndianapolis500BoxScore.pdf

yes, you did open up a can of worms.:) but don't think it was all your fault, if you look up the page. The original can of worms was opened way back in post 157, but nobody took the bait. It was hooked, netted and re upped in post 212 and this time it found a home after the race was over. You took the bait and ran with it post 219 reeee(drag slipping).
after kevin took the bait, the stick and ball comment he made got my pea brain in gear wheeee wheeee, treble hook in the jaw and stringer time. I'll send all my comments to the "got hooked" appropriate thread. B)

Back
Top Bottom