Indy 500 RACE thread

I thought he might bring Tim Cindric out and then do one of these.

attachment-The-Rockers.jpg

I didn't even look at this thread during the last 30 minutes of the race because I just wanted to take in the action.
This race is just like no other. After last year and the way this race ran for most of the time I'm glad we saw an organic and yet breathtaking finish. Pato didn't do anything wrong, he gave it everything but it's no secret Newgarden knows how to race on an oval. He is an all-time great of this series.

Glad I took tomorrow off so I could watch the whole race as it happens even if there was a rain delay.

It so easy to play Monday mourning quarterback but if Pato had waited to make his pass on the last lap maybe it would have been different.

He was smart enough to wait once, and then he had another big run, and to me it would be worse if he backed off again and then didn't get another. I find it hard to second guess the timing. Josef put himself in the right position for sure. Pato gave it his all and didn't really step on it, it just didn't fall his way.

It so easy to play Monday mourning quarterback but if Pato had waited to make his pass on the last lap maybe it would have been different.
Sucks because I thought he really timed it perfectly after backing off the previous two laps. I think he cut the exit of turn 2 pretty shallow to start the ‘dragon’ more than he should have, and that may have scrubbed just enough speed to let Newgarden get around on the outside of 3.

But I also don’t think anyone could get a tow better than that 2 car today.

He was smart enough to wait once, and then he had another big run, and to me it would be worse if he backed off again and then didn't get another. I find it hard to second guess the timing. Josef put himself in the right position for sure. Pato gave it his all and didn't really step on it, it just didn't fall his way.
I agree and Josef may have just had the faster car. It seemed like he could quickly retake the lead after being passed. I am not sure how much time Pato needed, it may have taken him longer to set up a pass.

McLaren completed a surely unprecedented feat with P2 in Formula E Shanghai (Jake Hughes), F1 Monaco (Piastri), and the Indy 500 today.

Newgarden picked up the $440k bonus accruing since 2002 for winning back-to-back.

Still have to decide Rookie of the Year. Rasmussen finished 12th but Larson qualified well and ran well until that pit penalty. Tough decision.

I’d like to see Newgarden or Pato run the double now. Josef is far and away the best oval driver in Indy, time for him to take on Charlotte

Still have to decide Rookie of the Year. Rasmussen finished 12th but Larson qualified well and ran well until that pit penalty. Tough decision.
Recent precedent suggests it’ll probably be the biggest name draw. Larson had a great couple of weeks, Rasmussen drove a great race. Just another year where there are multiple deserving candidates…although Jimmie in ‘22 was pretty questionable.

I’d like to see Newgarden or Pato run the double now. Josef is far and away the best oval driver in Indy, time for him to take on Charlotte
That’s seven out of the last nine ovals won by JoNew now. He’s been trying to get into a car at Bristol for years though and I think Roger just hasn’t been very receptive of it. But now there’s not much left for him to achieve, so that would be cool to see him try the Double.

Recent precedent suggests it’ll probably be the biggest name draw. Larson had a great couple of weeks, Rasmussen drove a great race. Just another year where there are multiple deserving candidates…although Jimmie in ‘22 was pretty questionable.

That’s seven out of the last nine ovals won by JoNew now. He’s been trying to get into a car at Bristol for years though and I think Roger just hasn’t been very receptive of it. But now there’s not much left for him to achieve, so that would be cool to see him try the Double.

His dominance on ovals is really shocking. I wish Roger would field another one off car for him

I went on a journey expecting to go on a once-in-a-lifetime racing trip. I was not expecting to see so much once-in-a-lifetime racing.

It's still just sinking in. In the past 3 weeks I have seen-

The closest finish in NASCAR history and one of its top races of the millennium.
A last lap pace in the Little 500 in what was an instant classic race.
What is arguably the greatest oval open wheel pass for the win in what was one of the best races in Indy 500 history.

Give me literally ONE of those moments and I would've had a well-worth trip having seen something they'll be talking about the next 25 years. I got 3 of those moments. In a single month.

Recent precedent suggests it’ll probably be the biggest name draw. Larson had a great couple of weeks, Rasmussen drove a great race. Just another year where there are multiple deserving candidates…although Jimmie in ‘22 was pretty questionable
ROTY should always be awarded to the highest-finishing rookie imo.
Rasmussen wasn't any less impressive than Kyle, he just doesn't have a big name.
I also find it ridiculous that Jones wasn't awarded ROTY in 2017 despite finishing 3rd.

ROTY should always be awarded to the highest-finishing rookie imo.
Rasmussen wasn't any less impressive than Kyle, he just doesn't have a big name.
I also find it ridiculous that Jones wasn't awarded ROTY in 2017 despite finishing 3rd.
Exactly. It's like giving the championship to the most popular driver instead of the one who finished in first place. Doesn't make any sense.

Based on my limited knowledge I would have voted for Rasmussen to recieve the ROTY based on his race day performance. He made a lot of good passes early in the race and he didnt get a pit road penalty.

I really wish I knew more about the overall ROTY award expectations, so my opinion could be even more flawed than usual.

Note : I tried to find the loop data for the race to in order to consider their average running position as well. I think Larson got the pit speeding penalty around laps 130 to 140 which put him at about p20 for an extended period of time.

ROTY is one of those beauty contest type of things were a lot of subjective variables are thrown into the mix. It is one the less interesting awards imo.

The Indy 500 Rookie of the year is normally awarded based on points. They award points for qualifying order, so based on his 6th place qualifying effort Larson had more total points (21) than Rasmussen (19). So Larson was the legitimate Rookie of the Year.

That said, Johnson did not have most points last year, but they gave it to him anyway for some reason. I guess because he is Jimmie Johnson.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom