IndyCar at Iowa

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
Of course the race is on ABC which means the heat races aren't televised. :rolleyes: ABC gets all the best races and then puts in minimal effort (except for Indianapolis). I really hope IndyCar smartens up when the TV contract renewals come around and signs exclusively with NBC.

Heat races on Saturday night will count for points and will be streamed on IndyCar.com and on the Verizon IndyCar Mobile app for iPhone and Android.

The heat races are being streamed on indycar.com, as you said, so I think that's good enough.

Personally I think NBCSN can go choke on one, the series would die with their lacklustre ratings.

IndyCar needs 1) more races on network TV and 2) a network that will actually promote IndyCar races. It also doesn't help that I can't download the IndyCar app because I have AT&T.

I am ready for some short-track racing, though.

Personally I think NBCSN can go choke on one, the series would die with their lacklustre ratings.

It's not their fault. It's a cable channel. They're going to inherently get less ratings than a broadcast network. I think they do a good job with the series, even if nobody watches.

It's not their fault. It's a cable channel. They're going to inherently get less ratings than a broadcast network. I think they do a good job with the series, even if nobody watches.

St Petersburg was in the ballpark of 0.3, even Detroit gets above 1.0 on ABC. That's a huge difference for the smaller teams needing to retain sponsorship.

I think they got stuck with a long term contract with VS. NBC bought that channel so they have a chance to fix it. But ABC has rights to some races. So it is a bit of a mess.

St Petersburg was in the ballpark of 0.3, even Detroit gets above 1.0 on ABC. That's a huge difference for the smaller teams needing to retain sponsorship.

I repeat:

But please, continue to blame NBCSN for not pressing the magic "get more viewers" button for IndyCar races.

But please, continue to blame NBCSN for not pressing the magic "get more viewers" button for IndyCar races.

It's a problem repeated across all of their programming. Anyway, back to the Iowa race... any predictions?

It's a problem repeated across all of their programming. Anyway, back to the Iowa race... any predictions?

And for the third time, how is it NBC Sports Net's fault they get low ratings? Outside of hockey fans, cycling fans and IndyCar fans, nobody even knows what NBC Sports Net is. They promote the races well on their own network and do a good job with the actual broadcasts. Your "choke on one" comment was directed at the one partner in the TV deal that has nothing to do with how ****** IndyCar's exposure is. The TV deal between IndyCar and ABC is what has stranded 11 out of 16 races to the far-flung reaches of the cable TV lineup. I think NBC Sports Net does a good job with what they have to offer.

I, for one, think NBCSN does a pretty good job. They started out with Speed's experienced broadcast team, by which I mean the crew at the venue as well as the guys announcing the races. I also like the sense of continuity they get by using the same announcing crew for F1 and IndyCar races when the schedule allows - they have legitimate credibility and I think they add a lot to the show (when they aren't regressing to 'if you're new to open wheel racing,...' explanations). The many options that fans have to watch an event like a race are evolving, and the multi-source (tv and internet) experience will become more common in all sports, with racing at the front of the curve. It's just their first year, and they will improve.

AND as for the race this weekend, I like Takuma Sato. A.J. is going to watch from back home in Houston due to ongoing medical complications, and Taku's successes this year have come when The Boss was not at the track. Maybe less pressure on Larry when Dad's not there? Also, Taku was the only driver who could stay ahead of the Andretti Autosports guys last week, and would've won had it not been for the ill-timed late caution.

Iowa seems like a good track for dark horses, and mine is Oriol Servia in the #4 National Guard car for Panther Racing. I would love to pick Newgarden in Sarah Fisher Hartman's car, but his Indycar 36 episode about their efforts at Indy this year seemed to show that they just haven't made the connection necessary to sort out the car after the flag drops.

Kevin: I apologise if you feel the remark was uncalled for, but Indycar is several years into the Versus deal with no sign of improvement in that regard. Let's agree to disagree on this one. Hopefully it's a good race, I'm expecting RHR to be up front again.

ONE-LAP QUALIFYING SPEEDS, AND HEAT RACE GRID SPOTS:
1. 3 Helio Castroneves, 185.687 (First, Heat 3)
2. 25 Marco Andretti, 184.766 (Second, Heat 3)
3. 12 Will Power, 184.240 (Third, Heat 3)
4. 11 Tony Kanaan, 183.713 (Fourth, Heat 3)
5. 27 James Hinchcliffe, 183.236 (Fifth, Heat 3)
6. 4 Oriol Servia, 183.021 (Sixth, Heat 3)
7. 20 Ed Carpenter, 182.805 (First, Heat 2)
8. 9 Scott Dixon, 182.506 (First, Heat 1)
9. 55 Tristan Vautier (R), 182.472 (Second, Heat 2)
10. 14 Takuma Sato, 182.384 (Second, Heat 1)
11. 83 Charlie Kimball, 182.270 (Third, Heat 2)
12. 67 Josef Newgarden, 182.142 (Third, Heat 1)
13. 16 James Jakes, 182.056 (Fourth, Heat 2)
14. 98 Alex Tagliani, 181.963 (Fourth, Heat 1)
15. 5 E.J. Viso, 181.458 (Fifth, Heat 2)
16. 7 Sebastien Bourdais, 180.892 (Fifth, Heat 1)
17. 77 Simon Pagenaud, 180.481 (Sixth, Heat 2)
18. 6 Sebastian Saavedra, 180.016 (Sixth, Heat 1)
19. 15 Graham Rahal, 179.295 (Seventh, Heat 2)
20. 10 Dario Franchitti, 178.578 (Seventh, Heat 1)
21. 19 Justin Wilson, 178.240 (Eighth, Heat 2)
22. 1 Ryan Hunter-Reay, 177.957 (Eighth, Heat 1)
23. 78 Simona de Silvestro, 174.689 (Ninth, Heat 2)
24. 18 Ana Beatriz, No speed (Ninth, Heat 1)

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...stest-in-indycars-iowa-single-lap-qualifying/

Sup corn eaters.

I would go to this race if it wasn't the weekend after Milwaukee.

Is Oriol Servia's #14 car sponsored by the National Guard now since Panther took over that ride?

Raindrops on the pressbox window, but radar looks clear.

Could anyone be more uninterested and dull than Cheever and Goodyear?

liked the guy in the powerball lottery costume behind the orial servia interview lol

Oh, he's in the #4 car this week. And #14 is Sato. What am I thinking of. Didn't even start the race beers yet.

Corn-powered ethanol engines? I am 90% sure the ethanol used by IndyCar is from Brazilian sugar cane.

Hmmm, found the answer. They use sugarcane ethanol from Brazil for all races except for one. Guess which race IndyCar uses corn ethanol. :)

I see Panther Racing still running National Guard commercials with JR Hildebrand. Funny how he's talking about finding jobs for vets when he's unemployed himself.

He actually took part in the pit crew challenge at the Milwaukee IndyFest and was a great sport. Terrible with an air gun, don't think tire changer is a career for him, though.

Damn those Hondas! Sato has the worst luck. If he doesn't wreck the car himself, it blows up.

Cheering for my man Graham but I think the Mayor looks untouchable.

IndyCar signed a contract where ABC, who only airs five races, dictated all the terms of the contract. They signed a contract that states that ONLY the five races on ABC can air on broadcast television (and even then, ABC can move them to ESPN2 or ESPNews at will) and the rest MUST air on NBC Sports Network.

That IS IndyCar's fault. Because the Indianapolis 500 has always been on ABC, IndyCar thinks that's the only place for it and, as a result, screws themselves on TV deals. IndyCar and their fans hate change - hence why they booted Bernard. Can't have GWC or double file restarts. Can't go on a different network. Personally, I'd tell ABC to go to hell and give the whole thing to NBC but IndyCar will never do that. Hell, they'll sign a deal that puts every race except Indy on cable if they can keep the Indy 500 on ABC.

And for the third time, how is it NBC Sports Net's fault they get low ratings? Outside of hockey fans, cycling fans and IndyCar fans, nobody even knows what NBC Sports Net is. They promote the races well on their own network and do a good job with the actual broadcasts. Your "choke on one" comment was directed at the one partner in the TV deal that has nothing to do with how ****** IndyCar's exposure is. The TV deal between IndyCar and ABC is what has stranded 11 out of 16 races to the far-flung reaches of the cable TV lineup. I think NBC Sports Net does a good job with what they have to offer.

Not to mention NBCSN also promotes the IndyCar Series on other networks (seen promos on MSNBC) as well. ESPN/ABC is too busy promoting baseball and other sports events to even bother promoting the races that air on their own network.

Congrats to the Mayor! Third win of the season for Hinch and his first oval win.

James Hinchcliffe just scored his third IndyCar win of the year (see, three times as many wins as Danica has in her career) in Danica's old car. Are we ready to admit the problem with Danica in IndyCar wasn't the car?

James Hinchcliffe just scored his second IndyCar win of the year (see, twice as many wins as Danica has in her career) in Danica's old car. Are we ready to admit the problem with Danica in IndyCar wasn't the car?

His third, actually. He won at St. Petersburg and Brazil and now Iowa. So he has won what, 300% of the races that Danica has? :D

Danica's defenders will still claim it was the car, not the driver.
I'm no Danica fan and I don't think she is a great driver, but you can't really compare Hinchcliffe with her. It was the same team, but he is driving different cars, the new car. It's Chevy powered, not Honda. When she was driving it was during the time when Penske and Ganassi won almost every race. Was Andretti really winning races with anyone? Not many...

I'm no Danica fan and I don't think she is a great driver, but you can't really compare Hinchcliffe with her. It was the same team, but he is driving different cars, the new car. It's Chevy powered, not Honda. When she was driving it was during the time when Penske and Ganassi won almost every race. Was Andretti really winning races with anyone? Not many...

However, other Andretti drivers did win races. She's just not a good driver who just wrecked BTW.

It's Chevy powered, not Honda. When she was driving it was during the time when Penske and Ganassi won almost every race. Was Andretti really winning races with anyone? Not many...

When she was driving, every car was a Honda.

Not buying the Andretti stinks argument, either. While she was at Andretti, they won 17 races and 1 championship, including the '07 season which they absolutely dominated.

I've only been following Indycar at all since 2007(went to my first race period in 2005), and it seemed to me, the whole time I was watching she was usually about a 6th place car, which really doesn't seem that bad in that series...

Andretti may have dominated in 2007, but the rest of the time she was running(was her last year in IRL 2010?) Penske and Ganassi did win all of the races pretty much. Still seemed like she was about a 6th place car almost every race even though all of the Ganassi and Penske cars were finishing ahead of her. I never said i though she was a driver capable of winning, but I don't think she was with a team that was very capable of winning during the last few years she ran in IRL(When she did have more experience).

She does suck in Nascar though. So did Dario, and he is one of the best drivers out there.

I've only been following Indycar at all since 2007(went to my first race period in 2005), and it seemed to me, the whole time I was watching she was usually about a 6th place car, which really doesn't seem that bad in that series...

In 2007 it was still the IRL with guys like Will Power, Wilson, Servia, Bourdais, etc all in CART while the IRL had 17 full time cars. 2 of those 17 full time cars were Marty Roth and Milka Duno two drivers that ran embarrassingly slow. And other full time drives included AJ Foyt IV and Roger Yasukawa who were pretty big embarrassments themselvs.

In 2007 it was still the IRL with guys like Will Power, Wilson, Servia, Bourdais, etc all in CART while the IRL had 17 full time cars. 2 of those 17 full time cars were Marty Roth and Milka Duno two drivers that ran embarrassingly slow. And other full time drives included AJ Foyt IV and Roger Yasukawa who were pretty big embarrassments themselvs.

I didn't know all that, because I didn't follow the IRL that close unless there wasn't a conflict with Nascar. I did know there wasn't much competition, they had about four or five top cars and Danica was with a team that had one or two of them but she wasn't a top car.(strangely like Nascar). I did watch the race she won, she was slow, but didn't have to pit when the leaders did so she hung on to win. So she got all kinds of press for winning a fuel mileage race. Oh well, I am not surprised, plenty of fads and popular trends I don't subscribe to anyway.

Andretti may have dominated in 2007, but the rest of the time she was running(was her last year in IRL 2010?) Penske and Ganassi did win all of the races pretty much. Still seemed like she was about a 6th place car almost every race even though all of the Ganassi and Penske cars were finishing ahead of her. I never said i though she was a driver capable of winning, but I don't think she was with a team that was very capable of winning during the last few years she ran in IRL(When she did have more experience).

She does suck in Nascar though. So did Dario, and he is one of the best drivers out there.

She's always been about a 10th place driver in IndyCar. She had a couple of really strong runs in 2007 when Andretti was dominant but she never was able to string together a win. Honestly, she made A LOT of mistakes that year that took her out of contention for possible wins. Honestly, she was a backmarker after the merger. She was able to string together some good runs - usually because of strategy. But after 2007, aside from her fluke Motegi win, she was never really a competitor. And when she was running good in 2007, her teammates were winning races left and right.

It's gonna be the same story her entire NASCAR career. Her teammates will have top five, top 10 performances every week (especially when Harvick gets there) and win races. She'll string together top 20-25 performances every few weeks, maybe even a top 10 finish here and there, and the media will praise her performance and tell us that she's running really well with a mediocre team while her teammate is sitting in Victory Lane. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom