IndyCar - Honda Indy Edmonton

I am absolutely stunned. That call for blocking on Helio was complete BS!

I was shocked at first too. Then I saw this video, and it's pretty clear that based on how the rule is defined there is no doubt Helio was blocking.

I think it would have been better to issue the penalty before the end of the race, or given him a warning instead. But a rule is a rule, and he definately broke this one.

[youtube]1e-J6LWropo[/youtube]

I understand the rule but I dont like it. The lead car should be able to choose thier racing line. Now if they keep switching the line, yes, that is blocking. But, if they choose one and stay with it, it should be fine, especially on a 75 foot wide runway.

I understand the rule but I dont like it. The lead car should be able to choose thier racing line. Now if they keep switching the line, yes, that is blocking. But, if they choose one and stay with it, it should be fine, especially on a 75 foot wide runway.

Yeah blocking on an airport runway sounds kind of silly. I cant stand when races arent decided on the track but by someone in a booth. The entire incident comes off as a complete fail considering how much Indycar needs views and doing something like this to probably the series second most famous driver.

If you're on the inside, and someone's trying to pass you on the outside, you're blocking. WTF!? How is that even a rule?:confused::mad:

That "white line" rule was started by Tony Cotman in ChampCar and has carried over into the IRL.

I don't agree with the rule either, but a rule is a rule. Helio was clearly blocking based on how it's defined in the rulebook. I'm actually more conserned that Helio took the inside line, but then moved wide to try and block Power through the turn. Watch the replay and you'll see that he moves off the apex to try and force Power wide. Should the rule be revised? Definately, and I think they will.

This wasn't even a very good block on Helio's part. Power almost got around him on the outside because Helio had to slow so much due to being off the racing line.

Originally Posted by VaDirt
If you're on the inside, and someone's trying to pass you on the outside, you're blocking. WTF!? How is that even a rule?

That's a very good question.

Because this is indy cars, and they want to have rules that don't make sence.
And here we thought NASCAR did stupid things.

Helio got fined $60,000 dollars plus put on probation for the remainder of the season for his outburst at Edmonton.

Back
Top Bottom