IndyCar Shell/Pennzoil GP of Houston doubleheader

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
This is so very IndyCar:

IndyCar's return to Houston got off to a bumpy start.

A bump in the concrete in Turn 1 at Reliant Park delayed practice Friday while IndyCar officials erected a chicane of tires that drivers had to navigate their way around when they finally got on the course.

The race promoter planned to bring in equipment Friday night to grind down the area for a more permanent fix to the bump, which wasn't discovered until cars from IndyCar support series hit the track earlier in the day. The bump, in an area typically used to store the grass from the Houston Texans' field between games, was just past the start/finish line.

Because track construction could not begin until after the Texans' game Sunday, there was no time for an inspection before Friday and the traditional IndyCar track walk for competitors was canceled Thursday as workers completed assembly.

"A street course normally takes four to six weeks to build," race promoter Mike Lanigan said. "We did it in four days. We thought we did it right, but we missed something extremely important."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/houston-problem-bump-slows-indycar-20477350

"There's a brand new, Purpose-built open wheel track in Austin? **** that, let's race at Reliant stadium on a Weekend in October when the Texans aren't in town."

I don't like street courses, they are designed for 25 mph. They are narrow canyons with very little room to recover from anything that might need to be avoided.

"There's a brand new, Purpose-built open wheel track in Austin? **** that, let's race at Reliant stadium on a Weekend in October when the Texans aren't in town."
I think they've been in discussions about going to COTA for a while now. The last I had heard was that if they were to put a third race (at COTA) in the state then TMS president Eddie Gossage would take his ball and go home, so the Houston event may get swapped with COTA. 2014 is not in the cards, but 2015 has a shot.

Rain this morning, and the street courses puddle a pretty good amount.
Thanks FL but I still dont get it. Indy car confuses me sometimes LOL
Guess I should watch the pre-race but my fast-forward finger has a mind of its own !!!!!

Thanks FL but I still dont get it. Indy car confuses me sometimes LOL
Guess I should watch the pre-race but my fast-forward finger has a mind of its own !!!!!
I turned it on right before the light went green and had to look up what happened, lol.

Castroneves looks to be in big trouble.

Flipped away during the caution and missed the Castroneves incident - haven't seen a replay yet.

Roger................. call Brad while you are still mad

Dixon and Power were the class of the field all day. Good to see Will get another win after a tough first half of the season.

Big crash on the last lap.

Back
Top Bottom