Indycar Toronto Double-Header

Andy makes some good points here, but as a long-time fan, I would say that we're not against changes if they make sense and improve competition. Fixing the restart procedures would do wonders for IndyCar. It's ridiculous not to give lapped cars a wave-around so cars on the lead lap start in order, in fact I thought they'd already fixed this? Maybe just on ovals? That alone would improve competition and make it more exciting, especially on road courses where it's so hard to pass. And did they really decide to go double file on the last restart as the cars were coming around the last turn before the start/finish line? I sure hope the drivers at least knew that was a possibility. It makes it seem like the officials have no idea what they're doing.

The double-secret special provision about tires (Dario rule) makes sense as they eventually explained it, but Jon Beequis and the booth guys confused the issue by first mentioning the rule that every car had to run at least two laps on each tire compound, without including the overriding rule in case of damage, until they figured it out. They were just in a hurry to stir the pot.

I watched the sportbikes and superbikes at Mid-Ohio last night, and was reminded how cool that track is, almost a cross between Barber and Road America. The teams have three weeks to get ready, it ought to be a good one!

Dario was all over Twitter saying that the tire rule wasn't super secret and that all the teams knew about it before the doubleheader weekend and that some people are looking for anti-Ganassi conspiracies.

Still, it was apparently a secret to all the fans and the media (NBC's broadcast team seemed shocked) which, I think is really why people are upset. If you have two different kinds of tires and force the teams to change them during the race to promote competition and close racing, it would help if the audience knew that that rule was omitted during the doubleheader weekend.

Back
Top Bottom