Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

3 year contract for the street race. Not good news for the track. Rumors are already floating around that they might demo it.

3 year contract for the street race. Not good news for the track. Rumors are already floating around that they might demo it.

think you're right, cant imagine the track still staying around when this street race is happening. For me personally, a gut punch always enjoyed the racing at Chicagoland.

They are just rumors, I hate to see any track go away so I will believe it when I see it. But logic says there won't be any Cup races at least if they get the street race all signed up.

Pretty baseless rumors on Chicagoland considering they’re hosting NHRA Division 3 drag racing and Route 66 is trying to have racing later this year. I have no clue why Chicago people think they’re just gonna immediately demolish the track, track hasn’t hosted racing since 2019. It’s a property.

Pretty baseless rumors on Chicagoland considering they’re hosting NHRA Division 3 drag racing and Route 66 is trying to have racing later this year. I have no clue why Chicago people think they’re just gonna immediately demolish the track, track hasn’t hosted racing since 2019. It’s a property.
I heard the drag strip is trying to get back on the 23 NHRA schedule

Chris Knight rumor??:

This Mexican paper says a total resurfacing project at Fundidora Park in Monterrey is beginning tomorrow in an effort to draw NASCAR/IndyCar within the next two years. It held CART/Champ Car races for several years in the 2000’s.

This Mexican paper says a total resurfacing project at Fundidora Park in Monterrey is beginning tomorrow in an effort to draw NASCAR/IndyCar within the next two years. It held CART/Champ Car races for several years in the 2000’s.
Oh wow I was joking I assumed they meant CTMP

This is a good intriguing read.

A trip to Monterrey, MX would be awesome for the Truck Series. I’m curious if they’re serious about Mexico. Monterrey would be a decent choice and closer to Charlotte than Mexico City.

Well….I can say and speaking purely from emotion here, when this street race happens they won’t get a dime of my money. I won’t support this at all, but I’m sure there’s plenty of folks that will go and god bless ‘em. NASCAR won’t miss me at that race, but to me, it’s sleezy and convenient that Covid was used in 2020 to grease the skids to not come back here. Like the Colts leaving for Indianapolis in the middle of the night.
1657464420355.gif

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”​

-George Orwell, 1984

NASCAR is gonna sweep Chicagoland under the rug. It's their own failed project (ISC track). The most modern oval venue in NASCAR and they couldn't even get 20 years out of the place.

Well….I can say and speaking purely from emotion here, when this street race happens they won’t get a dime of my money. I won’t support this at all, but I’m sure there’s plenty of folks that will go and god bless ‘em. NASCAR won’t miss me at that race, but to me, it’s sleezy and convenient that Covid was used in 2020 to grease the skids to not come back here. Like the Colts leaving for Indianapolis in the middle of the night.
View attachment 63937

...and why won't you go to the street course, exactly?

...and why won't you go to the street course, exactly?
Because I dont want to. I supported Chicagoland( and before that Chicago Motor Speedway in Cicero. Google that one.) from the very moment of existence and before that the NHRA Drag Strip. My family bought the stupid founder's pass which was "the season tickets" for ARCA, IRL, Busch and Cup..... I dont remember if Trucks were there initially. We always went 10-20 deep with my family of 4 and always brought friends or sold extra tickets on top of ours to customers of our business. We tried our best to support the track and NASCAR, I personally only missed 3 races in the 20 years or so they were here. When I took over our tickets from my dad in 2012 because he didnt want to go anymore, I still kept our 4 and sold them to customers of my business or brought friends. I always tried to go, it was good place to watch a race. I'm still going to go to races, just in more stable places like Bristol, Martinsville, Darlington or Vegas. I'd rather travel by plane or drive than give my money to another race here that wont be around in 5 years. I also have zero desire unfortunately to watch a street race for NASCAR, if I wanted to see that I'd attend an Indy Car race in Tampa, Toronto or Nashville.

Because I dont want to. I supported Chicagoland( and before that Chicago Motor Speedway in Cicero. Google that one.) from the very moment of existence and before that the NHRA Drag Strip. My family bought the stupid founder's pass which was "the season tickets" for ARCA, IRL, Busch and Cup..... I dont remember if Trucks were there initially. We always went 10-20 deep with my family of 4 and always brought friends or sold extra tickets on top of ours to customers of our business. We tried our best to support the track and NASCAR, I personally only missed 3 races in the 20 years or so they were here. When I took over our tickets from my dad in 2012 because he didnt want to go anymore, I still kept our 4 and sold them to customers of my business or brought friends. I always tried to go, it was good place to watch a race. I'm still going to go to races, just in more stable places like Bristol, Martinsville, Darlington or Vegas. I'd rather travel by plane or drive than give my money to another race here that wont be around in 5 years. I also have zero desire unfortunately to watch a street race for NASCAR, if I wanted to see that I'd attend an Indy Car race in Tampa, Toronto or Nashville.
Excellent, informative reply. Sadly, some people still won't get it...

Excellent, informative reply. Sadly, some people still won't get it...
Thanks. Just trying to share my own experiences and emotions on the issue, I'm not one of those fans that are "I cant believe NASCAR isnt coming here anymore, screw em!" and just went to one race or didnt attend....we attended many races at that Chicagoland. The Drag Strip too... I was there. Our sections changed a few times but we were always Turn 4, Row 64 seats 1,2,3,4. Plus whatever extras we bought they were a few rows in front of us or a few sections over.

I'm sorry, what promotional material was the name removed from? With nothing going on there, what's there to promote?
I believe it was on earlier this year on Fox. It wasn't a promo for just Chicagoland. It was just a blink in time that it was on as the promo showed many other scenes of cars wrecking etc. . He had to stop it just so to be able to catch it at all. He would make a good R-F member. The KDB fans have been fleeing him in droves to jump on young Ty's wagon. They are going to be terribly disappointed if Ty keeps on with the "jus racing" stories after he gets smashed into the wall and put out of the race.

I'm sorry, what promotional material was the name removed from? With nothing going on there, what's there to promote?

It was a commercial (lower picture) for NASCAR that included a blip of Kyle Busch "crying" at Chicagoland except in the background, "Chicagoland" has been removed from the original (upper picture).

not chicagoland.jpg

I'll be there if for no other reason than to see if when NASCAR's circus comes to downtown Chicago, will it in any way compare to Lollapalooza, the NFL draft, or any other number of popular events.

Too bad that they went and reconfigured Soldier Field . . . .

1956 Soldier Field NASCAR race.jpg
soldier field racing.jpg

I'll be there if for no other reason than to see if when NASCAR's circus comes to downtown Chicago, will it in any way compare to Lollapalooza, the NFL draft, or any other number of popular events.

Too bad that they went and reconfigured Soldier Field . . . .

View attachment 63945View attachment 63946
With the Bears looking to exit Soldier Field, the city might have a few extra dates available in the near future

Well said. I’d be more excited if we adopted actual road course rules for the sport. Double file restarts on a street course is going to be a disaster

That makes sense.

I know it was ISC (NASCAR now), but Chicagoland Speedway was the only Cup Series track that was willing to do a Nationwide Series standalone race from 2011-2015 because Gateway decided to close (along with the normal standalone tracks they had such as Iowa and others for a while in the 2010s).

Hopefully Portland keeps their Xfinity race for 2023. I would prefer the Truck Series run at Portland or Canada/Mexico as well instead of Sonoma IMO.

That makes sense.

I know it was ISC (NASCAR now), but Chicagoland Speedway was the only Cup Series track that was willing to do a Nationwide Series standalone race from 2011-2015 because Gateway decided to close (along with the normal standalone tracks they had such as Iowa and others for a while in the 2010s).
I only went to a few standalone Xfinity races(sold those tickets usually)those were a thing for a bit. Then they’d come back about 8 weeks later with Cup as Cup opened the playoffs. Attendance at the standalone Xfinity was not stellar at the races I attended.

I hope the schedule makers put Daytona back to July 4th (run it in the AM. We’ll see what TV says) and then if Atlanta still has two dates move that second race to the last race of the regular season, run it at night. I think Atlanta races better than Daytona or Dega as much as I enjoy those two places. Atlanta...well I prefer what it was but I can see how fans thought it was exciting yesterday. Atlanta as is would make a tremendous cut off race and this change would be a compromise for traditionalists who prefer that July 4th date back in Daytona and those newer fans who want the drama of a cutoff race at a anything can happen race track.

if the Chicago street race is replacing an actual race track called Road America, then I hate this move.

While I'll tune in to watch the street race probably, I just can't get too excited about it. There is already F1, IMSA and Indycar (along with their feeder series) racing on street circuits, I don't have much desire to see the stock cars do it as well. It's already a struggle for about half the field to go road racing as it is.

Back
Top Bottom