Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

On SHR podcast, Stewart on no Eldora truck race: NASCAR didn't take us off the schedule..We just didn't renew our contract :idunno:

"I didn't get fired, I quit!"

Seriously though, I believe him. Fox seemed happy to have the Eldora race and there was no reason for NASCAR to pull it. Eldora has huge plans for 2021 with two King's Royals, two late model Dreams, and other bigger paying shows. They probably want to focus on all of that.

Stewart did say on his podcast that Nascar wasn't happy at all with the new racing series. :biggrin: I didn't think they would be. He said something interesting though. When he did the IROC the one thing he would change would be the ability to tune the car more to his liking instead of run what the gave you. So they get to tune the car for their driving styles in the new series.

Brilliant move by Tony (I'm not being sarcastic).

The Trucks got his track mainstream attention and the fans will be begging NASCAR for Eldora to return to the schedule. A Cup race there is now increasingly likely in a few years
I'd like to hope that's the case. I've noticed that seems to be a minority opinion around here though.

Remind me, please: which Nashville is this, the one in TN or the other one that's in ... where's that other one, again?

Remind me, please: which Nashville is this, the one in TN or the other one that's in ... where's that other one, again?
Fairgrounds is pretty much downtown Nashville.

Between the IndyCar race in Nashville, now the Fairgrounds, Nashille Motorspeedway (Dover International), and Bristol.

That is a lot of moving pieces, so I wonder how this will play out? Dover International is of the mindset Nashville Motorspeedway will not be a "one off" contract. Its signed on for multiple years.

All I have to say is, its exciting, but there will be a lot of moving around with this all.

The race was called the Clean 163 :laugh:

1614970528843.png

I cant imagine there being 2 Bristol races and 2 Nashville Cup races per year when they are about 5 hours apart in the same state. Something is going to change I just cant figure what, maybe the Nashville Super Speedway will be Xfinity/Trucks only when FGS is ready. Cool news though, its cool to see a track on the brink come back to life and have the chance at being prosperous. I'm gonna try my best to go to that first race as a flight is only about an hour or so. This is a good day for the sport.

I don't know why I don't like street courses. I know I don't.
I'd trade a street course for the dirt race we are going to have this weekend if I had my way. Im not against dirt, just want to see what it'd look like at an actual dirt track. But to get back to your point, I'd wager a street race is going to happen in the near future, the question is where. I'd love to see the new Cup car at Belle Isle on a double weekend with Indy which by the way the Captain has said before today's tweet that was posted up above. Maybe Toronto, that kills two birds with one stones.... street course and international market. I am way eager to see how the new Cup car will race on the streets, I hope whatever street course will be added soon

Maybe Toronto, that kills two birds with one stones.... street course and international market.
Go run Mosport; give Ron Fellows some love. It's a better layout than Toronto, and the finishes the Trucks have produced have earned it a shot. I loves me some Road America but without local cautions, I wish that weekend had gone north of the border t a shorter track.

I guess I just like my twisties with some elbow room. Or maybe it I never like seeing taxpayer money used to subsidize sports, esp when it ties up traffic for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Besides the racing being great, street courses are big crowd pleasers and a big shot to the local economy. I'm thinking Nascar will be all in with Penske doing the grunt work.

The buzz around NASCAR races on Mars has really died down.

Next level dirt racin‘ right there.

I can't get interested in F1 period. I just can't.
I guess maybe I possibly could if I made half an effort. I'm following too many other series now to add another one. But the few I've looked at on other tracks just reinforces my impression of Monaco as NyQuil on tyres.

Maybe Toronto, that kills two birds with one stones.... street course and international market. I am way eager to see how the new Cup car will race on the streets, I hope whatever street course will be added soon
Good place to have the all star race, just for the fans and an honest reaction to what the fans want/like.

OK, I'll bite the obvious lure: F1 cars don't even work there. I can't imagine trying to put stock cars (or even GT3 type cars) on that course.
A stock car or GT3 race there would be fun because they can use bumpers to overtake. F1 at Monaco is usually a procession because no one can overtake even if they're 3 seconds a lap faster. Ricciardo once won the Monaco GP even though he lost a cylinder, IIRC.

Nothing like it.

$40 for a bottle of Stella Artois at a sidewalk cafe.
A prime example of a place where the "racing" is never good, but the event will always be legendary. There is something about race cars flying through places they don't belong that is just indescribable. If I ever get there, I'd spot for that Stella....and then maybe a couple more. What a great place.

Pretty cool.

Be interesting to see how the future layout is, but damn I guess this is a sign that they are moving away from Chicagoland? Sucks to see this, but this idea in the middle of the city of Chicago?

This may work.
Im guessing a trial balloon if I've ever seen one. Plus Penske was just talking about shared weekends with Indy Car and NASCAR. Here you go

No one - yet. NASCAR and iRacing worked with the City to scan it recently.

If everything checks out an announcement is probably made closer to or during the iRacing broadcast in the summer.
So it's strictly a virtual layout? The comments about it being a fair exchange for Chicagoland led me to think someone was scheduled to run as a physical event.

oh, there is going to be a street course in the near future and here is why

In 2018, Cup Series team owner Justin Marks endorsed the concept.
"I’m a huge believer you have to take your product to the people," Marks said. "In 2012, I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix as a competitor in the Pirelli World Challenge Series, and I remember spending the weekend at that race there looking around at 100,000 people and thinking that 90,000 of these people aren’t racing fans. They’re here because it’s a great cultural event.
"I think that the days of people driving 500 miles from their home to spend four days at a racetrack camping are numbered."

oh, there is going to be a street course in the near future and here is why

In 2018, Cup Series team owner Justin Marks endorsed the concept.
"I’m a huge believer you have to take your product to the people," Marks said. "In 2012, I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix as a competitor in the Pirelli World Challenge Series, and I remember spending the weekend at that race there looking around at 100,000 people and thinking that 90,000 of these people aren’t racing fans. They’re here because it’s a great cultural event.
"I think that the days of people driving 500 miles from their home to spend four days at a racetrack camping are numbered."

I mean I'm driving 900 miles one way to road america

Back
Top Bottom