Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I think a lot of fans for whatever reason think Nascar drivers can't drive on a race course. They have been whooping up on ringers for years, just finished running the Indy road course and put on a better road race there than I have seen for years IMO. And somehow Daytona is going to throw them for a loop? Like coming down the straight at Indy wide open into turn one was a problem there? I think they can handle anything thrown at them. Hoping for a Florida monsoon rain myself. ahhh rain tires, wipers and brake light woo who.

My point remains I think someone needs to run the course, even if (as I've said repeatedly) it's only a single car from a part-timer who won't be running the race. Obviously I'm not an owner or official, but that's never stopped anyone here from questioning NASCAR's or RTA's judgement.

I hope it's a spectacular success; you know yourself I've said for years they should run it. Maybe they found out from the X practice at Indy that the drivers really didn't need practice there, and by extension it's not needed at Daytona. If that's the case, I wish they'd say so.

I guess we'll let ARCA and the Trucks play guinea pigs.

I think things will work out and I'm looking forward to seeing a good race but it is always best to inspect what you expect wherever possible. Someone decided to bring those awful tires to the Brickyard several years back and the race has never recovered. Someone could have tested the tires and found out they lasted 8 laps and the fiasco could have been averted.

I think things will work out and I'm looking forward to seeing a good race but it is always best to inspect what you expect wherever possible. Someone decided to bring those awful tires to the Brickyard several years back and the race has never recovered. Someone could have tested the tires and found out they lasted 8 laps and the fiasco could have been averted.
Tires aren't a problem at Daytona, and just guessing after they saw the results of the road race at Indy there isn't any need for a practice.

Each of the manufacturers operate a racing simulator that will have this layout available. Forces are fed into the “chassis” ... the driver gets that feedback.

There are lineups.

1595976350936.jpeg

Each of the manufacturers operate a racing simulator that will have this layout available. Forces are fed into the “chassis” ... the driver gets that feedback.

There are lineups.

View attachment 48232
Yeah Chase Briscoe has run three different configurations of the road course at Daytona on the simulator and came to the conclusion that the course as it is has the best flow out of all of them. But said whatever Nascar decides.

Tires aren't a problem at Daytona, and just guessing after they saw the results of the road race at Indy there isn't any need for a practice.
The tires at Indy are being mentioned as the kind of problem that can occur with insufficient preparation. The point is, what is NASCAR missing by not having anyone turn a handful of laps in a stock car?

In Goodyear's defense, they don't intentionally bring a bad tire, NASCAR has a lot of input on the characteristics they want, and teams routinely ignore Goodyear's guidelines.

You are missing the point entirely as no one suggested that tires would impact the race in question.
not really, I think some of ya are grasping at straws. Practice isn't going to happen anyway. Nascar has said it ain't going to happen for the rest of the year. Now maybe you guys can change their minds if enough rant and rave, maybe Nascar will change their minds.

not really, I think some of ya are grasping at straws. Practice isn't going to happen anyway. Nascar has said it ain't going to happen for the rest of the year. Now maybe you guys can change their minds if enough rant and rave, maybe Nascar will change their minds.
Oh, I understand it's not going to happen. I understand they're not likely to even run a single car around a few times. I just think not doing so isn't the best way to ensure a great race on what's essentially a new track. Just one idjits's opinion; it's just sports.

Oh, I understand it's not going to happen. I understand they're not likely to even run a single car around a few times. I just think not doing so isn't the best way to ensure a great race on what's essentially a new track. Just one idjits's opinion; it's just sports.
But but, casual fans will love the carnage.

I happen to love the thought of "what if" myself. Personally I wasn't sure what would happen with Xfinity at Indy on a road course. But compared to the Indycar drivers that race the track, the B team Nascar drivers smoked the A team Indycar drivers IMO. I know the open wheel and full body argument, but car control to car control hands down the Xfinity boys. But back to Daytona, love that drama Nascar is producing with in your face racing, line em up and go.

That's why I take my casual fan friends to Truck and Xfinity races until they show they understand more than just sheet metal damage. Two thirds of the way through her first X race, one friend pointed to a car in mid pack, told me it had moved up several positions since the last caution, and was that because it was nearer the wall at one end of the track? I got her husband's approval to kiss her.

I understand the exact things you do. What I don’t understand is being taken to task for suggesting that it would be a good idea to get drivers and teams additional info if it could be provided in a fair and cost effective way. Just because we know they won’t allow practice doesn’t mean we can’t express that we think it would be a good idea.......or does it?

I understand the exact things you do. What I don’t understand is being taken to task for suggesting that it would be a good idea to get drivers and teams additional info if it could be provided in a fair and cost effective way. Just because we know they won’t allow practice doesn’t mean we can’t express that we think it would be a good idea.......or does it?
Ah, but you see, worrying about being taken to task would imply I care about the opinions of near-total strangers on the Internet, or that I place the same value on someone's opinions across all topics.

Ah, but you see, worrying about being taken to task would imply I care about the opinions of near-total strangers on the Internet, or that I place the same value on someone's opinions across all topics.

I hear you and feel the same way. I’m to old to let people in the real world bother me let alone people that I will never know. Some people you can have great conversation with even if you disagree. Unfortunately there are some you can’t.

I hear you and feel the same way. I’m to old to let people in the real world bother me let alone people that I will never know. Some people you can have great conversation with even if you disagree. Unfortunately there are some you can’t.
Projection.

There have been plenty of times, here and on the few other forums I'm on, when I've had someone's back on one topic while simultaneously going at it tooth and nail with same person in another thread. Those users are the people who's opinions I tend to value; they've demonstrated they're not contradicting me just because they see my avatar pop up again.

I was thinking one or the other, not both here. Not sure how a taller spoiler and an additional chicane will play out together but I don’t think Turn 1 will be as fun if the reconfiguration is as clunky as Briscoe described it.

There have been plenty of times, here and on the few other forums I'm on, when I've had someone's back on one topic while simultaneously going at it tooth and nail with same person in another thread. Those users are the people who's opinions I tend to value; they've demonstrated they're not contradicting me just because they see my avatar pop up again.

I haven't read this, but I disagree strongly and think it is abhorrent.

They have been talking about using that high curbing around some of the corners in the infield to keep them from cutting the corners. That tweet is kinda sneaky. The whiners are in full song about it though

Did any of these people you argue with happen to be a Skoal Bandit or Ian McVittie?

I was hoping they would go with a low downforce package.

The high HP / high downforce combo is what made the road courses underwhelming last year, and why they were quick to change back to low downforce for those and short tracks. Oh well, it's still better than a low HP configuration, and better than a regular 'plate' race to me.

yeah that high d/F used on a road race will be the end of road racing as we know it , screwed up the Roval something terrible

They are able to get to the flat before they have to jam on the brakes it looks like. Looks like a wreck waiting to happen going thru there two wide

They are able to get to the flat before they have to jam on the brakes it looks like. Looks like a wreck waiting to happen going thru there two wide

Don't like it

This is going to be absolute madness... you thought the first year of the Roval was insane? This is going to be chaos.

Back
Top Bottom