Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

This is 100% trying to happen for real, NASCAR doesn't promote things like this without a goal in mind.
Yep. iRacing didn't bother scanning the streets to make the course if it weren't coming.

This is 100% trying to happen for real, NASCAR doesn't promote things like this without a goal in mind.
I think NASCAR will be watching the Nashville deal closely.

If the Music City GP for IndyCar is received well, I can see this happening in 2023. Not to mention, this could be another IndyCar/NASCAR double header in another major market. Mr. Penske and company will be watching this closely as well.

I think NASCAR will be watching the Nashville deal closely.

If the Music City GP for IndyCar is received well, I can see this happening in 2023. Not to mention, this could be another IndyCar/NASCAR double header in another major market. Mr. Penske and company will be watching this closely as well.
The goons on DBC kept hinting last season that there would be a street race in Nashville, but then we got the speedway. I still think that's on the table, though. They also hinted at Miami.

1616684417627.png

Yep. iRacing didn't bother scanning the streets to make the course if it weren't coming.
I am in total shock that if this comes to pass, it got through the city. Like incredibly and pleasantly surprised. But thats the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Iracing wouldnt take the time to scan this if it wasnt going to come to fruition. Then NASCAR promoting it, is more smoke to the fire. My Third thought was goodbye Chicagoland Speedway, had too many good times there.

At first glance, this looks like one boring layout. Mostly 90-degree turns. I assume no changes in elevation. Two of the long chutes and three of the short are the same length.

I too am disappointed in the layout. I want them to go straight at turns 1 and 6 to make a real figure 8 track with an intersection. It was Tony's idea years ago!

Why a street course where they have already been?

Why a street course where they have already been?
Good question.

Portland would be nice. Great city. Or here in Vancouver ... Indy Cars raced on our city streets for years. People who ran that are still around.

Good question.

Portland would be nice. Great city. Or here in Vancouver ... Indy Cars raced on our city streets for years. People who ran that are still around.
Spent many years at PIR watching CART. First year I went, this guy named Mark Martin beat another guy named Dale Jarrett in a Winston West support race...considered a Sonoma warm up. Herschel McGriff got the loudest cheers though. Never made it to Vancouver, but talked to many who did. Understand that that was a fabulous event. I believe that a NASCAR event would be well attended here, but the politicians don't want anybody to know that.

I am in total shock that if this comes to pass, it got through the city. Like incredibly and pleasantly surprised. But that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this was Iracing wouldn't take the time to scan this if it wasn't going to come to fruition. Then NASCAR promoting it, is more smoke to the fire. My Third thought was goodbye Chicagoland Speedway, had too many good times there.

I have a hard time believing that the powers that be would go along with shutting down a significant portion of Lake Shore Drive and Michigan Avenue for as long as it would take to set up the course, hold the event, and then tear it all down.

An event like the Chicago Marathon shuts down streets throughout the city but that's all done on a Sunday morning.

And Columbus Drive (the street that the pits would be on) gets shut down all the time for fests like Lollapalooza but that's not the major thoroughfare that LSD is.

Of course any time the city can make a chunk of change on a deal, all bets are off.

The goons on DBC kept hinting last season that there would be a street race in Nashville, but then we got the speedway. I still think that's on the table, though. They also hinted at Miami.
So THAT'S why Homestead lost the finale, maybe they're trying to get rid of it to make room for the Hard Rock Stadium circuit

(Even though that probably won't happen, I'm from South Florida, and there's HEAVY local opposition to it)

So THAT'S why Homestead lost the finale, maybe they're trying to get rid of it to make room for the Hard Rock Stadium circuit

(Even though that probably won't happen, I'm from South Florida, and there's HEAVY local opposition to it)
What has the locals upset?

What has the locals upset?
The Hard Rock Stadium street circuit proposed for Formula 1, which would logically also host the NASCAR event too .

I'm a local too (not a resident of Miami Gardens, but definitely a South Florida resident), it has to due with traffic, noise, and "enivronmental racism" (as Miami Gardens is in a predominantly black area)

The NFL announced they have 17 regular season games this year, dropping a preseason game. The Super Bowl will be the second weekend in Feb.

It sounds like that will place the Rolex on the first weekend, with the D500 on the third.

Thoughts?

Very very interesting about Bristol maybe getting a roof and....the door is slightly open for Wilkesboro

The NFL announced they have 17 regular season games this year, dropping a preseason game. The Super Bowl will be the second weekend in Feb.

It sounds like that will place the Rolex on the first weekend, with the D500 on the third.

Thoughts?
I think NASCAR should consider moving the Daytona 500 back a week.. To avoid getting lost up in the Super Bowl shuffle..

Very very interesting about Bristol maybe getting a roof and....the door is slightly open for Wilkesboro
Aa

Let North Wilkesboro go, the surface may be fine, but the facilities are too far gone.. The grandstands literally were condemned, several buildings including the press box, IIRC, are collapsing.. It would cost far too much to be worth it..

Also, the issue with putting a roof over Bristol is cost, carbon monoxide, and noise..

I think NASCAR should consider moving the Daytona 500 back a week.. To avoid getting lost up in the Super Bowl shuffle..

Let North Wilkesboro go, the surface may be fine, but the facilities are too far gone.. The grandstands literally were condemned, several buildings including the press box, IIRC, are collapsing.. It would cost far too much to be worth it..

Also, the issue with putting a roof over Bristol is cost, carbon monoxide, and noise..
If you actually listen to it you'd know why you are wrong because it's not a "roof"

If you actually listen to it you'd know why you are wrong because it's not a "roof"
A canopy? Still the issues are the same.. Not even factoring in the cost or risk of carbon monoxide..

And before you bring up the Chili Bowl.. There's a world of difference between short spaced out races featuring quarter midgets and 40 Cup cars in one afternoon

Marcus said these things not me. It’s all in the Dale Jr download

Thoughts?
First conflict shouldn’t be until 2027 so I think they’re okay for now.

Marcus said these things not me. It’s all in the Dale Jr download
I know, I'm just stating my opinion..

Plus, North Wilkesboro will basically need to be rebuilt.. The facilities were behind even by 1996 Cup standards.. I can't imagine how outdated they are by 2021 standards

A canopy? Still the issues are the same.. Not even factoring in the cost or risk of carbon monoxide..

And before you bring up the Chili Bowl.. There's a world of difference between short spaced out races featuring quarter midgets and 40 Cup cars in one afternoon
Carbon Monoxide poisoning in a ventilated area? Yeah dont think so and I feel sure they have the resources to gather the proper information on how to make it happen, just like lighting the first 1.5 Speedway, turning a oval in to a road course and Bristol in to dirt.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning in a ventilated area? Yeah dont think so and I feel sure they have the resources to gather the proper information on how to make it happen, just like lighting the first 1.5 Speedway, turning a oval in to a road course and Bristol in to dirt.
I mean, there is also the massive logistical and resource challenge of building a canopy over a half mile track.. This isn't like building a roof over an NFL stadium,

I mean, there is also the massive logistical and resource challenge of building a canopy over a half mile track.. This isn't like building a roof over an NFL stadium,
They've played football there numerous times. BMS footprint isn't that much bigger than a modern NFL stadium, and it certainly would put people back in the seats.

They've played football there numerous times. BMS footprint isn't that much bigger than a modern NFL stadium, and it certainly would put people back in the seats.
That is true.. If Marcus Smith can make it work, then he should go for it.. Granted, you'd probably need supports outside the track, since I don't think the grandstands could support the added structural load of a roof

Doesn't have to be a sealed building. Could be anything for a covering, just to keep rain or Sun off the track.The Roman Colloseuim had a retractable fabric roof, and it worked just fine. If they can hang a 700 ton television, then smart people can put a cover over BMS.

That is true.. If Marcus Smith can make it work, then he should go for it.. Granted, you'd probably need supports outside the track, since I don't think the grandstands could support the added structural load of a roof
I think the engineers that constructed Colossus have that down.

Doesn't have to be a sealed building. Could be anything for a covering, just to keep rain or Sun off the track.The Roman Colloseuim had a retractable fabric roof, and it worked just fine. If they can hang a 700 ton television, then smart people can put a cover over BMS.
Of course, there are issues with sound

Back
Top Bottom