Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Not yet. But the Smiths are allowing Dale Jr. to be a part of a group that is looking to re-open the track. There appears to be some momentum for it. We'll see.
Jr is investing his own money in this reopening? Wow I haven’t read that anywhere

I could see it as a "southern swing" for the Outlaws, they race at Charlotte put it with Wilkesboro and Cherokee speedway is running its first 410 race here in a few weeks before World Finals and you could have a nice 3 track swing.
For sure! It's what buoys Ohio racing, Eldora draws multiple dates, with stops being convenient at places like Attica

Bring back Pikes Peak from the dead (not happening but let’s talk about it)

I wish Trucks would expand to 24 races and have a couple rotating races in markets that could use a race or 2. Colorado, Utah, Louisiana seem like good markets that need a top 3 race.

Portland RC is very cool but Evergreen would be better.

Last edited:
Bring back Pikes Peak from the dead (not happening but let’s talk about it)

I wish Trucks would expand to 24 races and have a couple rotating races in markets that could use a race or 2. Colorado, Utah, Louisiana seem like good markets that need a top 3 race.

Portland RC is very cool but Evergreen would be better.
Don't forget the track in Alaska

Don't forget the track in Alaska
Alaska Raceway Park is beautiful
ARP2018-09-01_062a_E476618F-6AE8-4473-81D3BEF89EB96F68_05701837-382d-45a6-94e06b63e181d167.jpg

Plenty of good short tracks they could be going to and they decide to do the Indy RC (instead of IRP) and the Chicago Street Course.

Of course, I have no issue with a street course. But doesn’t Road America cover the market?

I like a lot of changes but think they should keep some tradition & get rid of the 550 crap.

Plenty of good short tracks they could be going to and they decide to do the Indy RC (instead of IRP) and the Chicago Street Course.

Of course, I have no issue with a street course. But doesn’t Road America cover the market?

I like a lot of changes but think they should keep some tradition & get rid of the 550 crap.
I think at this point they’re better served doing the street course(s) at their other targets like Denver, Toronto, Mexico City. Road America was a swap for Chicagoland and to some people a placeholder for Soldier Field but I thought over the summer Stern said there were some stumbling blocks with setting that event up, and quite frankly RA was too much of a hit.

I think at this point they’re better served doing the street course(s) at their other targets like Denver, Toronto, Mexico City. Road America was a swap for Chicagoland and to some people a placeholder for Soldier Field but I thought over the summer Stern said there were some stumbling blocks with setting that event up, and quite frankly RA was too much of a hit.

Denver Sports Commission seems more interested in IndyCar. I agree a Denver Street Race makes sense when Pikes Peak is NOT happening.

I really don’t understand the street craze when you got Mosport & Autodromo.

Personal preferences are fine to express, of course, but there is a willful lack of understanding about the evidence of what urban street course events do in terms of live attendance, community engagement, and B2B opportunities. NASCAR business executives would be neglecting their fiduciary responsibilitities to not explore staging such races at this point.

Denver Sports Commission seems more interested in IndyCar. I agree a Denver Street Race makes sense when Pikes Peak is NOT happening.

I really don’t understand the street craze when you got Mosport & Autodromo.
Mosport I kinda understand because it’s a bit out of the way and that could be somewhat limiting compared to racing within Toronto, but the Truck races seem like a good proof of concept so far. Agreed on Hermanos Rodriguez, that’s in the city anyways.

Personal preferences are fine to express, of course, but there is a willful lack of understanding about the evidence of what urban street course events do in terms of live attendance, community engagement, and B2B opportunities. NASCAR business executives would be neglecting their fiduciary responsibilitities to not explore staging such races at this point.

Yeah until all the ovals are gone.

That Tony Stewart statement rings true, “give em in and inch they’ll take a mile”. Once they realize how good the street courses are they’ll have em all the time to ad nauseum like IndyCar.

There is not yet a single street race on the schedule, for God's sake.

Didn’t say there was? Just think they’ll ignore the Colorado market like they always do.

Just think NASCAR should worry about a new short track on the schedule like Nashville or something instead.

Auto Club looks cool. Hope it’s the new finale eventually.

Yeah until all the ovals are gone.

That Tony Stewart statement rings true, “give em in and inch they’ll take a mile”. Once they realize how good the street courses are they’ll have em all the time to ad nauseum like IndyCar.
Yeah we've gone from 2 road courses to what 7 this year? That's about 3 or 4 too many for me

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The street race is happening, just a matter of when not if. I wouldn’t panic about it just yet. I think a street race is a great idea, something different that fans can attend. We’ll see what City it takes place in, I have zero confidence it happens in Chicago, and frankly hope it doesn’t as there is a perfectly fine Speedway that could be used in Joliet. Denver or Seattle get my vote as places that Cup haven’t been to before. I feel no angst over these upcoming changes to the schedule, at some point as a fan you just have to make peace with the fact that it’s not the NASCAR from the past....Wilkesboro and Rockingham arnt walking through that door.

Yeah we've gone from 2 road courses to what 7 this year? That's about 3 or 4 too many for me

6 of them. Leaves 30 oval races which is plenty.

I will say though, with the talk of hybridization within a few years it makes total sense to stay at 550 HP. Develop the engine now, and then add your hybrid component in 2-3 years that brings it back to 750-800

6 of them. Leaves 30 oval races which is plenty.

I will say though, with the talk of hybridization within a few years it makes total sense to stay at 550 HP. Develop the engine now, and then add your hybrid component in 2-3 years that brings it back to 750-800
Actually 8. 2 at daytona, Cota, Sonoma, road America, Watkins Glen, Indy, and the roval

Well the Daytona RC was temporary.

Personally I think 5-6 road courses is enough. I think they should get a street race going and move the Brickyard back to the OVAL or IRP.

I personally hope the Coliseum Race is a 1 year deal before they go back to Daytona as an invite only race, but NASCAR doesn’t want practice or Bud Pole qualifying much anymore.

Going to new markets such as Road America (still kinda new), Gateway, COTA, Nashville have been brilliant moves. I think Portland is a smart move as well.

I think Gateway will be a sellout race, seems like oval races with a crowd worth a crap seems to do well among everyone.

Last edited:
The street race is happening, just a matter of when not if. I wouldn’t panic about it just yet. I think a street race is a great idea, something different that fans can attend. We’ll see what City it takes place in, I have zero confidence it happens in Chicago, and frankly hope it doesn’t as there is a perfectly fine Speedway that could be used in Joliet. Denver or Seattle get my vote as places that Cup haven’t been to before. I feel no angst over these upcoming changes to the schedule, at some point as a fan you just have to make peace with the fact that it’s not the NASCAR from the past....Wilkesboro and Rockingham arnt walking through that door.

No problem with what you said. I agree.

However NASCAR has to balance tradition with also moving forward. I personally do not care for the Firecracker 400 race being in August. I don’t care for the Brickyard being at the RC. I personally think they should keep the Clash at Daytona & make the All-Star Race rotate around to places like the Coliseum and make the All-Star race the gimmick show like it always has been.

Not easy decisions to make. I think NASCAR is doing a good job with the schedule (could use a few more standalone races), but the 550 package and playoffs still kinda suck.

North Wilkesboro and Rockingham aren’t walking through that door, but they would be great standalone races if they’re given 10 million to fix these places up.

Last edited:
I've watched a number of street races that the Pinty's series put on. Good stuff. There was some serious passing under braking going on

Ya know, I historically have disliked street courses.

I sat there Sunday and realized Roval turns 1 through 5 aren't much different from a street course. Maybe I need to reassess.

r
I've watched a number of street races that the Pinty's series put on. Good stuff. There was some serious passing under braking going on
I'm gonna check em out on YouTube see how I like it.

Back
Top Bottom