Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Stadiums with grass routinely resod a few times a year. But it's a good thing this is an older facility; newer ones often have a variety of infrastructure under there. Besides having to be careful removing the sod, there's the possibility of whatever's down below not holding up under the unplanned weight. I wonder how much the final product, with cars and teams, will weigh compared to a packed rock concert's platforms and fans?
Thanks Charlie, now instead of sitting in my seat thinking about an earthquake collapsing the Colosseum I will be sitting in my seat through the whole race thinking about when the Colosseum is going to sink. o_O :(

Thanks Charlie, now instead of sitting in my seat thinking about an earthquake collapsing the Colosseum I will be sitting in my seat through the whole race thinking about when the Colosseum is going to sink. o_O :(
Let me see a show of hands, please: who feels the slightest bit of sympathy for @Nitro Dude or anyone else who's going to be there live and in person?

Higher, please; don't put them down yet.

And...okay, thanks. Both of you can put them down now.

My local KTLA news just gave a little shoutout about the race at the coliseum.

I wonder if Michael Waltrip is out here promoting the Clash. He is at SoFi Stadium right now watching the Rams game.

Is this the stadium they raced off road in years back. If I remember the cars and trucks entered the stadium through a upper pedestrian walkway and raced both inside and out

I don't think the reconfiguration happens at this point..

Why you say that? They wanted to spend a high 6-digit figure of planning/permitting to reconfigure the whole track just for ha ha's?

With a smaller track they can sell some land around the speedway grounds and make a profit. Also the current track is getting due for a repave. This is happening sooner than later.

Why you say that? They wanted to spend a high 6-digit figure of planning/permitting to reconfigure the whole track just for ha ha's?

With a smaller track they can sell some land around the speedway grounds and make a profit. Also the current track is getting due for a repave. This is happening sooner than later.
Or maybe now they plan on selling the entire property and bulldozing the track completely in a few years. There isn't much need to make such drastic changes for a short track when NASCAR has recently proven they are willing to go to already established short tracks. Plus they now also have the Coliseum right in the heart of LA.

I really sew zero point to having Auto Club Speedway (or whatever it's called these days) on the schedule in any capacity anymore. Especially since attendance there has been awful for years

My Christmas wish is news breaks during the upcoming season that Wilkesboro will be back on the 23 schedule

Could you imagine? Might as well since IndyCar has abandoned most ovals. No point in having tracks that can run both series

Here is a pretty good article about the Coliseum. I have lived here for over 30 years, and I had forgotten a lot of the history the Coliseum has.
Why NASCAR Going to the LA Memorial Coliseum Is Bananas ... and Brilliant (yahoo.com)

The article about the LA Coliseum also includes a link to a story about auto racing at Soldier Field in Chicago.

This is an ad that appeared in the Chicago Tribune on the day of the only NASCAR Cup race to be held at the future home of the Chicago Bears.

1956 Soldier Field NASCAR race.jpg

Didn't know that they held races at Soldier Field until the late '60's.

Interesting how the earlier photo shows tires and bales of hay around the infield while in the later one they've got a fixed guardrail.
They say the last race was in 68

It’s really hard for any of us to judge how the race will go, without seeing it tbh. I have hopes it could be a great show, but also know it could be a stinker. We won’t know until we see it in action.

They should make the stadium race the new All-Star race and move the Clash back to the Superspeedway. I know if I’m going to Daytona I’d rather spend 10-14 days there in FL.

They should make the stadium race the new All-Star race and move the Clash back to the Superspeedway. I know if I’m going to Daytona I’d rather spend 10-14 days there in FL.
I am sure the Coliseum (or other races) are being considered for future all-star locations

Exactly this.

I know they feel the need to give Texas a date, but I wish they would make the All-star race special again.

I don’t see why they can’t have a Clash practice, Daytona 500 qualifying practice, Daytona 500 qualifying, ARCA race, then Clash race on Saturday night? Full days worth of action with no downtime.

Maybe the times have changed but the Shootout was cool because you could watch the ARCA race right before.

Give everyone Sunday thru Tuesday/Wednesday off, then have them come back Wednesday or Thursday for Daytona 500 (Duel) practices.

Last edited:
I don’t see why they can’t have a Clash practice, Daytona 500 qualifying practice, Daytona 500 qualifying, ARCA race, then Clash race on Saturday night? Full days worth of action with no downtime.

Maybe the times have changed but the Shootout was cool because you could watch the ARCA race right before.

Give everyone Sunday thru Tuesday/Wednesday off, then have them come back Wednesday or Thursday for Daytona 500 (Duel) practices.
That makes too much sense, hence why it isn't currently happening

Back
Top Bottom