Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

That makes too much sense, hence why it isn't currently happening

Friday - ARCA Practice & Qualifying (alternative date when Super Bowl is in Florida)
Saturday - Clash practice, Daytona 500 qualifying practice, Daytona 500 qualifying, ARCA race (80 laps / 200 miles), Clash race (40 laps / 100 miles)
Sunday - rainout date / day off / ARCA East at New Smyrna (Super Bowl in the evening so race early in the morning)
Monday - day off
Tuesday - day off
Wednesday - day off
Thursday - Cup practice, Truck practice, Cup Duels
Friday - Cup practice, Xfinity practice, Truck qualifying, Truck race
Saturday - Cup practice, Xfinity qualifying, Xfinity 300 race
Sunday - Daytona 500

Last edited:
For now.

NASCAR's exhibition races are always more of an experiment nowadays. There's already been talk about how if this works, converting stadiums into racetracks is an option for NASCAR to go international.
I was referring specifically to the LA Colosseum. Assuming Fontana is indeed reconfigured as a short track, I assume NASCAR would prefer to use its own 'already ready' track.

Who knows what they'll do with the Clash in the coming years. It may go back to Daytona, it may move around, it may find a new home. Seems like once you take it out of Daytona, it's hard to take it back. Keep in mind with the NFL adding a 17th game this year, the Super Bowl is a week later and is overlapping when the Clash would take place, part of the reason there's a gap between it and the 500. It may remain that way, thus the Clash may move around. Guess we'll see.

Who knows what they'll do with the Clash in the coming years. It may go back to Daytona, it may move around, it may find a new home. Seems like once you take it out of Daytona, it's hard to take it back. Keep in mind with the NFL adding a 17th game this year, the Super Bowl is a week later and is overlapping when the Clash would take place, part of the reason there's a gap between it and the 500. It may remain that way, thus the Clash may move around. Guess we'll see.

Nothing stopping The Clash from being a Friday or Saturday Night race. People like night racing in Daytona.

A lot of Florida locals didn’t attend Sunday afternoon because Daytona 500 qualifying is a bore and they didn’t have the opening practices or the ARCA race before.

To me I look at it as a tourist who must book 3-7 night minimum stay in and around the 500 date. If I am going to travel and have to book that many nights it was nice to have a full week of racing and on track action
That's how I feel. If/when I go to a Daytona 500 it will be for at least a week, and I would want to see action on track every day I am there if I'm going going be taking time off work and spending that kind of money

To me I look at it as a tourist who must book 3-7 night minimum stay in and around the 500 date. If I am going to travel and have to book that many nights it was nice to have a full week of racing and on track action

Personally, I would like to see The Clash moved back to Daytona on Saturday Night with ARCA before.

I guess every sport has to bow down to the Super Bowl and can’t even try to run the day before though.

If I’m going to Daytona, I’m spending 10 days or so there. Sunday-Wednesday in Orlando & at the Beach.

I recommend going to Volusia a night or two during Daytona 500 week for the late models and big blocks

Here is the schedule for the Clash at the LA Coliseum and Speedweeks at Daytona.
Since there are no garages at the Coliseum I wonder if they will be working out of their trailers, and I wonder if fans will be able to watch them work on their cars like fans can at an NHRA drag race.

Last edited:
Here is another schedule from the NASCAR site for the Clash.

I've been to Daytona 3 times for the July 4th race. We got there sometime around the last week of June and didnt leave till around the 6th. My wife and I actually had no desire to go to Orlando, we love Daytona its so laid back there compared to some other places we've been.

I've been to Daytona 3 times for the July 4th race. We got there sometime around the last week of June and didnt leave till around the 6th. My wife and I actually had no desire to go to Orlando, we love Daytona its so laid back there compared to some other places we've been.
That’s really not the point….. Orlando that is

This article touches on some of the improvements that are going to be done at North Wilkesboro in 2022 from the government money the track is receiving.

This article touches on some of the improvements that are going to be done at North Wilkesboro in 2022 from the government money the track is receiving.
Sounds like we could know a lot more after Smith talks at that meeting on the 20th

Just saw an article that the NFL has had some preliminary talks about alternative site for the super bowl as covid increases and there's at least some thought CA might shut down live sports. Man that would really kill the excitement they've had over the clash

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I get that. If you go to Daytona in February there is a lot of great racing, both asphalt and dirt for several weeks before the 500. A couple tracks are only 15 miles or so from the speedway.

FB_IMG_1641515277669.jpg

Okay, that looks incredible.

I'm excited to see how the Clash goes.
I thought the same thing. They went and built a track in the middle of a 100 year old football stadium. Let’s see how it races now!

Back
Top Bottom