Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

I wouldn’t be sad to see New Hampshire or Texas go adios.
I actually saw about a month ago someone who’s usually pretty keyed in said there’s been a rumor going around the mod scene that NHMS may not have a Cup race next year. Probably not at all related to North Wilkesboro though if it happens that soon, although would be an interesting twist if it happens later on considering how that track got one of its original dates.

I actually saw about a month ago someone who’s usually pretty keyed in said there’s been a rumor going around the mod scene that NHMS may not have a Cup race next year. Probably not at all related to North Wilkesboro though if it happens that soon, although would be an interesting twist if it happens later on considering how that track got one of its original dates.
Speaking of New Hampshire ouch

Well that's certainly interesting

What track loses a race if NW goes Cup....
I'd say whichever one of SMI's weekends makes the least money, but since SMI isn't going to allow a Cup race in Charlotte's back yard, it's moot.

As to how much they're spending with expectations of just a Truck race, it's taxpayer money that SMI couldn't choose to spend anywhere else.

It’d be a huge mistake to take a Bristol Race (spring or fall) and give it to someone else IMO. Maybe it’s not so much attendance there.... but more so that SMI over built the place. No one ever mentions that when we do our pow wow’s of “what track should lose a date.” Hate to say it but some of these tracks should be right-sized in terms of their seating capacity, maybe we should start there.

I would believe it. The track has been on life support for a while now. They've heavily reduced ticket prices to try and fix the slide. Tickets that were $110 3 years ago now going for $79. I don't think the track would be completely shuttered as it has a good club racing scene. But the track will need a good amount of $$$ thrown at it in the coming years. Certainly a re-pave. The track is in the middle of nowhere and far away from everything. It if was built 80 miles south outside the 495 loop it'd be a lot more popular with fans, IMO.

middle of the week and poor Pete is still wrap his head around why there was a race on Easter Sunday. Its really simple, someone should say "Hey Pete... TV pays alot of money to NASCAR to broadcast their races. They will race when, where, how and why if TV tells them too." Frankly I dont like some of the schedule changes either, but you have to make your partner, the one that pay$ the mo$t happie$t.

Remember when it seemed like 20 years ago or so that anything SMI touched turned to gold. Now look at it. Buys NHMS, down to 1 race. Buys Kentucky, now no races of any kind. Gets involved with Nashville Fairgrounds, can't get anything going and Dover gets Nashville SS going and steals SMI's thunder. Revamps Bristol, nobody goes because fans want crashing instead of side-by-side racing.

Don't color me excited to anything they're doing with North Wilkesboro. They're going to have nostalgic racing with asphalt cars, hoping people will come buy tickets to see the place open again. Then tear up the pavement to have some dirt races. Until they get their federal money, there will be no new asphalt or upgrades. Who knows how long that will take?

Looks like N. Wilkesboro for the time being is meant for regional talent rather than TV coverage. I think Marcus said something about maybe Truck racing in the near future. They could have some big name dirt races with a little here and there on the rehab pretty quick.

I wish everything in the world my August opens up so I can attend one of these first races back at Wilkesboro. I might just buy tickets and donate them as my Plan B, I really want to support the track if I can.

Yep they pretty much have, but we never know how it will be with the new car, it has the ability to change things. It was a much better dirt car than I thought they were going to be.
I remember in the mid 90's - mid 00's always looking forward to Dover (and Pocono, Richmond, Texas, Michigan) but since the CoT the racing at those tracks just hasn't been the same. That's not to say the races are always underwhelming, but certainly nowhere near the level they used to consistently be

I remember in the mid 90's - mid 00's always looking forward to Dover (and Pocono, Richmond, Texas, Michigan) but since the CoT the racing at those tracks just hasn't been the same. That's not to say the races are always underwhelming, but certainly nowhere near the level they used to consistently be
Dover and Richmond were always two of my favorites growing up. With the races in the last 5-10 years, I've almost forgotten why, but still then I always remember that they were.

Yeah let’s be honest, once computers really hit their stride and engineering went high tech this sport changed at those tracks for the worst

Last good Dover race was 2016 spring. Kenseth vs Larson vs Elliott. I go back and re-watch the last 20 laps of that race often. By far the most exciting NASCAR race I’ve ever attended.

I would say don't take a winner off of the board. L.A. was a win, one could say it helped AutoClub also.

Problem with New Hampshire or Dover losing dates are that Northeastern fans are still going to get screwed.

Unless you want Lime Rock anyway

Problem with New Hampshire or Dover losing dates are that Northeastern fans are still going to get screwed.

Unless you want Lime Rock anyway
I don’t think Lime Rock would ever be more than a Truck venue. Lots of regulations and not many amenities.

A Truck race is something they are working on getting within the next couple of years, according to Kligerman at least. He’s a minority owner at LRP.

I don’t think Lime Rock would ever be more than a Truck venue. Lots of regulations and not many amenities.

A Truck race is something they are working on getting within the next couple of years, according to Kligerman at least. He’s a minority owner at LRP.
Aren't they not allowed to run Sundays or something like that

Back
Top Bottom