International Race

The track where they run the 24 hours of le mans (the Circuit de la Sarthe). Safety considerations aside.

Loooooong straights. Relatively few tight turns. Seems like a great place for a stock car race.

If we went international we'd then be complaining about NASCAR competing with Football of the FIFA variety.

If I had to rate my desire to see NASCAR go international on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most desirable..... My number would fall somewhere in the less than zero range. No interest whatsoever.

They would need an F1 budget to travel internationally. Races would be on in the middle of the night or delayed broadcast. I don't see any positives except to see how the cars run on some interesting tracks.

The track where they run the 24 hours of le mans (the Circuit de la Sarthe). Safety considerations aside.

Loooooong straights. Relatively few tight turns. Seems like a great place for a stock car race.
With no plates.

A couple of NASCAR entries actually ran at Le Mans one year back in the late 70's.

South of the equator they’d be goin’ clockwise on ovals.

There’s that.

They would need an F1 budget to travel internationally. Races would be on in the middle of the night or delayed broadcast. I don't see any positives except to see how the cars run on some interesting tracks.
The sanctioning fee should handle a lot of the budget. And, as long as it's in Europe, it wouldn't be much different than the morning London NFL games that people already get up for here.

Under the leadership of Brian France, the charter holders will fix it!

On to international motorsports entertainment!

So lets hear it then, don't be obtuse.
"So?" is being obtuse. That said, I'll take a run at an explanation:

NASCAR TV broadcasts have a global reach.

http://www.nascar.com/international.html

Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge NASCAR race engine blocks are cast offshore, most of them in Brazil. Engine builders source crankshafts, connecting rods and pistons from Germany, Austria and Japan. All 3 manufacturers have plants all over the world. NASCAR is quite simply another extension of the global economy.

A race or two off the North American continent should be on the table for an organization looking to expose itself to a larger audience. Clearly, the base they have is shrinking.

I fail to see how an International event would "just spoil the sport even more".

"So?" is being obtuse. That said, I'll take a run at an explanation:

NASCAR TV broadcasts have a global reach.

http://www.nascar.com/international.html

Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge NASCAR race engine blocks are cast offshore, most of them in Brazil. Engine builders source crankshafts, connecting rods and pistons from Germany, Austria and Japan. All 3 manufacturers have plants all over the world. NASCAR is quite simply another extension of the global economy.

A race or two off the North American continent should be on the table for an organization looking to expose itself to a larger audience. Clearly, the base they have is shrinking.

I fail to see how an International event would "just spoil the sport even more".
Nascar is not popular overseas, F1 pretty much rules and V8 SuperCar series also. If Nascar were to venture to race say in England or Germany the expense alone of getting the cars and teams there would be extremely high. What sponsor is going to give up more money to do this? Nascar needs to fix their problems here in the USA before they can even consider a race on a different continent. I don't ever see it happening, while I see your point about the engine blocks and all that, Nascar isn't that popular in Europe, hell it isn't that popular here in the US anymore! The sport doesn't need to be diluted more, it needs to contract more before it's going to get better.

Let me see if I got this straight your wanting NA$CAR to spend ****t loads of money to pack up all their tools, parts, cars & go to Europe to race NA$CAR? Why? I don't think so.

Let me see if I got this straight your wanting NA$CAR to spend ****t loads of money to pack up all their tools, parts, cars & go to Europe to race NA$CAR? Why? I don't think so.
The promoter helps cover that with the sanctioning fee.

NASCAR has already been approached about international races plenty of times. They're not going to make some careless deal where the teams front all of the costs and the market provides no value. Relax a bit.

Were they thinking about an international Cup race when they did those exhibition races in Japan and Australia, or were those exhibition races only... exhibition races?

I'd love an international All-Star-Race. The Top10 of the NASCAR Cup Series, the DTM and the V8 Supercars race with their respective cars on a track that has an oval and a road course configuration. 4 timed races on two days, 2 on each configuration, alternately in- and outside the US.
Tracks outside the US that could host such an event would be Rockingham, the Lausitzring, Welkom and maybe Motegi.
Is that oval in Melbourne still in use?

Nascar is not popular overseas, F1 pretty much rules and V8 SuperCar series also. If Nascar were to venture to race say in England or Germany the expense alone of getting the cars and teams there would be extremely high. What sponsor is going to give up more money to do this? Nascar needs to fix their problems here in the USA before they can even consider a race on a different continent. I don't ever see it happening, while I see your point about the engine blocks and all that, Nascar isn't that popular in Europe, hell it isn't that popular here in the US anymore! The sport doesn't need to be diluted more, it needs to contract more before it's going to get better.
Maybe NASCAR isn't popular overseas because they don't have a presence there. The minimal possibility of ever seeing an F1 race live is one reason why I make no effort to follow it (although only one of many reasons).

Regardless, I think LS16's point was to discuss tracks it would be interesting to see Cup cars on, not that there was any intention to actually run overseas. She opened with a comment about if all the financial issues could be handled, so that covers your sponsorship and funding objections.

I keep wondering why NASCAR doesn't dabble with a Europe race. Surely it would bring in new fans, sponsors? I don't know the risk vs reward factor but I agree with the premise that the reason I don't attempt to follow F1 in part is because the only race in this country for it is in Austin, Texas. I feel like NASCAR does lag behind in international audience/support but I have no basis for this opinion.

Back
Top Bottom