iRacing (Sim Racing) Controversy

The little throw rug racing sheits piss me off the most.
They aint even ICAR, they just throw a rug and some hot wheel cars down and start running outlaw races. How do you regulate and control that?

I know somebody is fixing to say we did it too, but we had to free hand our tracks with masking tape. The instant throw rag tracks is just too unrestricted and too much power to allow.
LC205-B-1.jpg

It's worth noting the direct physical carryover of learned skill/reaction/concepts/hand-eye coordination is abnormally high similarity for iRacing when compared to other video games of pro sports. This is in part why many "real life racers" use it to brush up on tracks they haven't been on in a while, or simply get some racing in online without the real life costs. I wouldn't underestimate the talent you can develop.

Gluck running his mouth again. I have really lost a lot of respect for the guy. I don't consider him a journalist, but a twitter guy who in may cases misses the big picture. I hope he isn't talking about William Byron.

It's worth noting the direct physical carryover of learned skill/reaction/concepts/hand-eye coordination is abnormally high similarity for iRacing when compared to other video games of pro sports. This is in part why many "real life racers" use it to brush up on tracks they haven't been on in a while, or simply get some racing in online without the real life costs. I wouldn't underestimate the talent you can develop.

I don't think it has to be all drivers that can transfer. T.J. Majors is one of the leading spotters in the series and he and Jr became friends iRacing. Another win for Nascar.

There are real life racers who work on their cars, spend countless hours and dollars trying to find speed, bust their ass perfecting their craft on the track, meeting with fans and signing autographs off track, putting on a show in front of hundreds of fans at their local shirt track, and they're lucky to leave the track with a few hundred dollars.

Meanwhile, a 13-year-old kid can win $100,000 on iRacing.

**** that.
I agree with the tweet. That kid who won the IRacing Championship. Happy for him. But he's not a race car driver.

Byron is an exception. He was a racecar driver who had the raw talent...who just HAPPENED to be an iracer. It doesn't excuse IRacers from having a reputation of not being race car drivers.

They arent.

Let's get it real.

IRacers are professional GAMERS

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sim-shills rallying around Junior -- forming a geek mob to go after "Non-Believers"...

ridiculous

I agree with the tweet. That kid who won the IRacing Championship. Happy for him. But he's not a race car driver.

Byron is an exception. He was a racecar driver who had the raw talent...who just HAPPENED to be an iracer. It doesn't excuse IRacers from having a reputation of not being race car drivers.

They arent.

Let's get it real.

IRacers are professional GAMERS

you have totally missed the point. Race car drivers using a simulator to train are called gamers? Nonsense. I don't think you have any idea how much the OEM's have invested in SIM. They sell TIME on them.

you have totally missed the point. Race car drivers using a simulator to train are called gamers? Nonsense. I don't think you have any idea how much the OEM's have invested in SIM. They sell TIME on them.
Are people iRacing on manufacturers’ simulators?

Are people iRacing on manufacturers’ simulators?

I have no idea the brand they are using. Many drivers iRace, but the whole idea of poor mouth scoffers attaching themselves to it not being REAL racing is similar to the flat earthers. It's a technology that isn't going away and it will continue to be a useful tool, machines will continue to get better and weather SIM racers become track racers or not is a moot point. I really don't think many that compete in iRacing are thinking along those lines and race car drivers using the tool aren't thinking about being a SIM racing champion. They both will co-exist.

"When engineers first came into NASCAR, all the racer crew chiefs didn't want to listen to no engineer on their pit box -- and the sim is now the new engineer," Earnhardt said. "It's just a tool some of these guys might not be familiar with. They might look at it as a video game and not real and not realistic.

"But with what iRacing [racing gaming] has done over the years, I saw this coming a mile away. ... It's definitely going to be a useful tool and it's here to stay."

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/...hardt-jr-likens-racing-simulator-new-engineer

Honestly, I think this is part of why we're seeing the high downforce, low horsepower stuff in NASCAR. They want to replicate iRacing with the real cars and make it easier for people to be able to jump from a computer to a cockpit.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing people who love working on cars and taking them to the track not have a place to do so anymore because of computers. Social media's already enough of a cancer... the social commentary in science fiction has warned us about this virtual reality stuff for decades and we're ready to ignore all that and jump right in.

Spot on.

But - I mean no disrespect to sim racing. I personally detest it, but respect people who make more money doing it than I do in my career. I cannot fault people for going where the money is. You are worth what people are willing to pay you.

I guarantee if I was a young wipper, instead of spending all of my money buying and working on slot cars, I would be all over an iRacing setup. These guys into iRacing will know more about the tracks, dirt and pavement, car setups etc. than any fan joining the sport without that knowledge.
Three time winner in a row at the Chili Bowl, who's involved in racing?

EOWBLVMWAAEjTf1.jpg

I have no idea the brand they are using. Many drivers iRace, but the whole idea of poor mouth scoffers attaching themselves to it not being REAL racing is similar to the flat earthers. It's a technology that isn't going away and it will continue to be a useful tool, machines will continue to get better and weather SIM racers become track racers or not is a moot point. I really don't think many that compete in iRacing are thinking along those lines and race car drivers using the tool aren't thinking about being a SIM racing champion. They both will co-exist.

"When engineers first came into NASCAR, all the racer crew chiefs didn't want to listen to no engineer on their pit box -- and the sim is now the new engineer," Earnhardt said. "It's just a tool some of these guys might not be familiar with. They might look at it as a video game and not real and not realistic.

"But with what iRacing [racing gaming] has done over the years, I saw this coming a mile away. ... It's definitely going to be a useful tool and it's here to stay."

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/...hardt-jr-likens-racing-simulator-new-engineer
I don't disagree that iracing is a useful tool. Obviously, it is.

The simulators in use at manufacturer's facilities run on data acquired during real world testing. These devices have nothing to do with iRacing.

ca8471ae85b688e296fdf211734ae330.jpg

iRacing provides the technical aspect of what certain cars can drive like and how to maneuver tracks. This is valuable information that can be learned at home at a much lesser of an expense than buying/maintaining a race car and traveling.

What iRacing does not currently provide is the physical aspect. There are no g-forces. You cannot feel the weight of the cars or any body roll. There is no fear of heat exhaustion or bodily harm. You are not racing a car. You are in a comfy chair in the comfy air conditioning playing a computer game.

I’m positive some players who are already in shape could hop into a real race car and with time run some quick laps. Other neck beards chugging mountain dew would run 10 laps and puke in their helmet.

It does look like that's the next thing the sim market is working on to get closer to real feel with motion rigs and g-force seats. Not everyone can afford that though. (It's still not exact and never will be, but attempts to get close)

There's no hook to hang your helmet on when you have to go to the bathroom.

Missed this. No I dont. But I wasn't talking about that. Ironically, you missed my point. My comment wasn't about whatever point you are making. My comment was clearly about people who race on sims who have never sat in a race car, and never will. I don't disagree with the usefulness of sims, and agree with what you are saying. However, I wasn't talking about that. You are responding to words you put in my mouth. Read the post, my comment and opinion has nothing to do with what you are talking about ;)

There's no hook to hang your helmet on when you have to go to the bathroom.
Like, if you are running a Sims 500 or 600 mile race can you get up and go pee or get a bag of cheetos? Sounds like a huge diaper marketing opportunity, asking for a freind.

Like, if you are running a Sims 500 or 600 mile race can you get up and go pee or get a bag of cheetos? Sounds like a huge diaper marketing opportunity, asking for a freind.
I assume, like 'real' drivers, they just pee in their firesuits.

I assume, like 'real' drivers, they just pee in their firesuits.

I would say that is some serious racing there.
Imagine if one has a family as in a wife and kids in the house.

'Eweeel Deddy just pee'd all over his self and drove through."
"No you can't keep a bag of speedy dry in the house".

Back
Top Bottom