Is Corey Lajoie ready to drive for one of the top Cup teams? What are your thoughts?

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
Is Corey Lajoie ready to drive for one of the top teams? What say you?

-I say yes, he is getting good results based on his equipment or team.
-He currently has the 11th best average finish this year (for drivers competing in all of the first six points paying races this season).
-He has 5 top 20's out of the first 6 races, has good speed at times but also consistent and not making costly dumb mistakes.....

.... post your thoughts

I think so but I'm probably biased because I consider myself a fan of his.

The way I look at it is when you look around the garage who would you say you'd choose over him? The only one I might consider would be Zane, but I think Corey still has him beat

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I definitely think he's earned a shot. It's just the funding part unfortunately. Not sure where a seat would be available, maybe if Jones somehow goes to SHR he can take the 43 - would that be considered a top ride? Eh, borderline at best but he could probably do something with it.

I would have loved to have seen him go down to Xfinity in a JRM car for a year, I think that would have done a lot for his career. And Dale thinks a lot of him.

The way I look at it is when you look around the garage who would you say you'd choose over him? The only one I might consider would be Zane, but I think Corey still has him beat

Majeski, Kligerman, Hill, Creed, Nemechek, Berry, Hocevar. Even drivers like Rhodes, Allgaier, Hemric if they ever moved up again.

If you throw all them in a cup car tomorrow in equal equipment I'd take Corey over them all day long.

I’d rather see Lajoie in a Busch Series car before judging personally. The 7 & 77 aren’t the most well funded teams in the Cup Series.

I think he has paid his dues, but it takes timing and backing to get into most sought after rides.

I'd love to see Corey in the 4 next season. If it was only merit based, he'd be in the running.

I am probabaly a little biased as well. I think the urgency is greater for him than several other younger drivers mentioned.

Lajoie is already 31 years old and there is still time and then there isn't. The sky is the limit but the clock is still ticking for him. He needs to have a breakout year soon or it only will get tougher to be more than a talented driver that just never made it to the upper tier.
Sentimental stuff will not get you far if anywhere in racing and I think his age is probably working against him by now.
That's why I hoping he gets that opportunity soon, I think the next couple of years is most likely now or never for him.

I definitely think he's earned a shot. It's just the funding part unfortunately. Not sure where a seat would be available, maybe if Jones somehow goes to SHR he can take the 43 - would that be considered a top ride? Eh, borderline at best but he could probably do something with it.

I would have loved to have seen him go down to Xfinity in a JRM car for a year, I think that would have done a lot for his career. And Dale thinks a lot of him.

I don't really see SHR as an upgrade over Legacy. They are both B+ teams.

I'd like to see it. Corey is good for the sport.

I think to be considered for the #21, you would either have to bring money or be a Penske development driver. I don't see Corey really fitting that bill. I DO think he would be a good option for a 2nd tier team. (Kaulig, Legacy, JTG, RFK, etc.

I think to be considered for the #21, you would either have to bring money or be a Penske development driver. I don't see Corey really fitting that bill.

Unfortunately I think you're right. That doesn't seem to be a ride that "we're going to take a chance on this guy"

I remember in early 2017 we constantly mocked Corey and Gaulding for the amount of crashes they were involved in, the "BK Caution" was an early predecessor to the RWRSB caution.
Corey has gone a long way since, he constantly outperforms his equipment. Would love to see him get a shot with SHR or the Wood Brothers.

I remember in early 2017 we constantly mocked Corey and Gaulding for the amount of crashes they were involved in, the "BK Caution" was an early predecessor to the RWRSB caution.
Corey has gone a long way since, he constantly outperforms his equipment. Would love to see him get a shot with SHR or the Wood Brothers.
Let's not sell Spire short here either. They have put a lot more into their program this season

If Brad and partners during this silly season were to expand RFK to a 3 car team, I'd love to see what Corey could do on that improving team.

I think to be considered for the #21, you would either have to bring money or be a Penske development driver. I don't see Corey really fitting that bill. I DO think he would be a good option for a 2nd tier team. (Kaulig, Legacy, JTG, RFK, etc.

Corey has Connecticut roots so it’d be kind of neat to see him at the team co-owned by a New England based organization.

I’d rather see Lajoie in a Busch Series car before judging personally. The 7 & 77 aren’t the most well funded teams in the Cup Series.
I mean, that kinda helps the argument for him getting a good Cup ride. Look what he’s doing with a not well funded team. He’s getting a lot out of it, even better ride and more funded, who knows what he do.

Let's not sell Spire short here either. They have put a lot more into their program this season
Even though the equipment at Spire may be better this year, Corey wipes the floor with Ty Dillon on a weekly basis. He clearly has talent

Even though the equipment at Spire may be better this year, Corey wipes the floor with Ty Dillon on a weekly basis. He clearly has talent
I haven't heard but are both of those cars on the same plan this year? I know last year the 7 and 77 were on different motor plans

I haven't heard but are both of those cars on the same plan this year? I know last year the 7 and 77 were on different motor plans

They have been in the past with Bilicki. Ty hasn’t been great in Cup but I’m not sure what motors the 77 are getting.

I mean, that kinda helps the argument for him getting a good Cup ride. Look what he’s doing with a not well funded team. He’s getting a lot out of it, even better ride and more funded, who knows what he do.

3 of the 6 races have been road courses & Superspeedways. Idk I’d rather him go back to the Busch Series to see if he can win.

Only you would assume this.
You suggested he go down to the B Main series looking to win.

But yeah, they’ve upped their game to 18th in points. Woohoo nice perspectives there.
They’ve improved, an indisputable fact that’s caught the attention of many observers. There are other observers who choose to crap all over whatever doesn’t fit their ignorant narratives.

I’d like to see Lajoie in Harvick’s cars next year.

You suggested he go down to the B Main series looking to win.

I’ve never said it’s the “B Main” series. Lol nice try saying how people are being ignorant and than do the exact same thing. This isn’t iRacing or dirt track racing besides 2 Bristol dirt races where there’s no charter system elsewhere.

Spire has upped their game, bringing faster cars to the racetrack.

Their driver has stayed right with them. Yeah … he should demote himself immediately. Good grief.

I don't disagree with your view, BUT, if Corey could jump into a JRM car and dominate like Noah did last year, it might advance his career faster than finishing 20th every week in a Spire car, regardless of how impressive that accomplishment might be. It's just a fact that people pay a LOT more attention to winners. I also think there is a LOT of value in learning how to win consistently at a lower level, and taking that confidence and knowledge forward.

I don't disagree with your view, BUT, if Corey could jump into a JRM car and dominate like Noah did last year, it might advance his career faster than finishing 20th every week in a Spire car, regardless of how impressive that accomplishment might be. It's just a fact that people pay a LOT more attention to winners. I also think there is a LOT of value in learning how to win consistently at a lower level, and taking that confidence and knowledge forward.
They always say the biggest step in racing is the one from Xfinity to cup. It's just my opinion but I'd rather see a guy consistently outrun guys in cup that you know have more resources than see a guy set the Xfinity series on fire with wins. Just too many drivers have won tons of Xfinity races and not been able to drive cup car worth a crap. Not to mention there really isn't much that transfers between the 2 cars anymore.

Back
Top Bottom