Is NASCAR dying?

Respectfully disagree. It's the cars, and it has always been the cars. Ever since the COT came out, the racing has been terrible. Look how many comments that other thread got today about removing the splitter and side skirts. The format is not perfect, but if the on track racing were good, the format would fix itself. Right now we have the tail wagging the dog, i.e. they are trying to mess with the format in order to get the on-track product to be more interesting. Fix what's broken, not what is in working order.

I don't disagree with you at all as the cars are awful and something people can't relate to. What I should have said was Nascar doesn't have the will or leadership to make things better as they would rather plug holes in a leaky ship than bring it to shore and repair it properly.

I don't disagree with you at all as the cars are awful and something people can't relate to. What I should have said was Nascar doesn't have the will or leadership to make things better as they would rather plug holes in a leaky ship than bring it to shore and repair it properly.

The Gen-6 cars, and the Gen-5 car for that matter, look way more like street cars than the fourth generation cars did after the year 2000.

20df6ce7b11755fcdee5d45a6b36c334.gif

For now.

There is a silver lining if one looks, even with this autopsy.
Thank you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ter...SgB&biw=360&bih=512#tbm=isch&q=Teri+Garr+sexy

Respectfully disagree. It's the cars, and it has always been the cars. Ever since the COT came out, the racing has been terrible. Look how many comments that other thread got today about removing the splitter and side skirts. The format is not perfect, but if the on track racing were good, the format would fix itself. Right now we have the tail wagging the dog, i.e. they are trying to mess with the format in order to get the on-track product to be more interesting. Fix what's broken, not what is in working order.

From the rating thread:

One of the best races I've seen at Richmond in a long time, maybe ever. Clean air not a factor, the ability to run anywhere, substantial tire wear, a lot of really tight racing. Great stuff.

Using this logic, I'm gonna start talking about how "Supergirl" sucks and I'm gonna quit watching because the ratings were down a couple thousand viewers this week. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait, no I'm not. Because I like the show.

NASCAR fans are the only fans I've ever met who are so obsessed with ratings and attendance. The race at Richmond was good, so instead of focusing on that, let's bitch about everything else.
NASCAR fans sure do love to bitch about NASCAR, its almost as they are not really fans:laugh:

RIR President Dennis Bickmeier said in an interview after the Richmond race"everything is on the table"about possible changes to Nascar.I just don't believe these people that have millions at stake have their heads buried in the ground saying everything is fine.I am going to give them a chance to fix it,different rules packages,cars,whatever they decide.If you know a certain track is only going to have 1 race instead of 2,it might drive more fans to attend certain races.That makes a huge difference for our group as to the Darlington race.We already have our tickets.

I disagree strongly with this. Frankly, it makes me wonder if you are watching the races, and if so, what are you comparing them against. The quality of Nascar's on-track product has never been higher, IMO. There have always been some great Nascar races, and some good ones, and some mediocre. The standard today is higher than ever (in my 50+ years of following the sport) in conducting races that are closely competitive contests of skill, hard fought, and with the outcome in doubt throughout. There are more great races, and fewer clunkers, today than ever before, IMO.

I don't have answers for how to improve TV ratings or live attendance among young consumers... but I have followed many forms of racing for quite a few decades. I give credit to Nascar for transforming the racing over the last several years.

Every team is in extreme panic mode with regards to funding. Right now I wouldn't be surprised to see at least two cars no longer on track next season (from premier teams). It's not the end of the world (certainly not the end of NASCAR). The bubble is in full burst mode, and the market is readjusting. At some point, spending will be of equal value to a realistic revenue expectation, and all will be right in the sport again.
What is your opinion on a mass exodus of high salary drivers once the money tightens up and teams can no longer sell these drivers to sponsors?

It's the age of social media. Star Wars fans do the same thing. I don't think many of them have actually enjoyed a Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back came out on Blu Ray.
Yeah, its the new trend, to bitch about things , I am not a Stars Wars fan, but I do understand what you are talking about, ive seen some of the bitchign about it.

OK, cut it back to those drawing 5 mil and more.
I personally think they will be gone quicker than a jump start.

Neither of us them will be spending their own money.

I hope they're billionaires.
At the end of the day Nascar is a business(team owners,sponsors,track owners,tv networks).All businesses are driven by return on investment.While I have very little confidence in Brian,they're still some smart business people involved in Nascar.We still have a loyal core of fans that follow and care about the sport,if we didn't, we wouldn't complain.All businesses go through and up and down cycle.I remember when baseball was supposed to be a dead sport.

NASCAR fans sure do love to bitch about NASCAR, its almost as they are not really fans:laugh:

I don't disagree but I think in this thread and others it is mainly just stating the obvious although there sure are a lot of things happening that none of us dreamed of even during the worst part of the last recession. The drop off in support for Nascar is something like I have never seen and just when you think you have seen the worst of it it gets....well.....worse. I do think Nascar will always be around in some form but it may be like the vinyl record/turntable business in that there are devoted fans of them but just not a lot compared to 35-40 years ago.

That's why Al Gore invented the internet: for people to bitch and moan. :XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL:

Good old Algore....the gift that keeps on giving. I belong to a forum where I participate in discussion of the NHL and there is some trash talk but no complaining about the league, the equipment, rules and things of that nature.

For some, NASCAR is dying.
For some, NASCAR isn't dying.
Or for s
I don't disagree but I think in this thread and others it is mainly just stating the obvious although there sure are a lot of things happening that none of us dreamed of even during the worst part of the last recession. The drop off in support for Nascar is something like I have never seen and just when you think you have seen the worst of it it gets....well.....worse. I do think Nascar will always be around in some form but it may be like the vinyl record/turntable business in that there are devoted fans of them but just not a lot compared to 35-40 years ago.
And, I dont disagree, and hell, even understand and agree with 95% of it.

You better watch out there Bud........ I mentioned Al Gore's name in a post and TRL deleted it and gave me a thrashing for it being political.......

Good luck to you.......:rolleyes:
I don't vote for either major party anymore since I feel the whole system is corrupt and flawed. I am merely quoting a statement of the former VP.
Shields up. :whoopee:

latest

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with most of this article. Nascar fan for life warts and all. Drop the flag!

When you hear about the TV ratings and the attendance and people leaving the sport, you sort of shrug: Oh well, their loss. Unlike your favorite TV show that loses viewers, NASCAR isn’t in danger of being canceled. The fact IndyCar still exists (it pulled in a 0.27 rating this weekend!!!) shows NASCAR can go on in some form indefinitely.

But that doesn’t mean you as a fan have to get sucked into the negative energy. You follow NASCAR because you love it, not because you have the answers to save it. If you don’t want to participate in all the hand-wringing, then don’t let it ruin a good thing for you.

My advice? Put your scanner headphones on, block out the noise and smile. It’s only five days until race day.

http://jeffgluck.com/how-to-enjoy-your-favorite-sport-when-it-feels-like-no-one-else-is/

Son of a bitch, @StandOnIt, this is why I love you! I am calling this the best post I have ever read on this Forum. You. Nailed. It. Nice work man! Put a smile on my face.

It's funny that this year is the year where everyone has said "Last nail in the coffin blah blah blah". It's been muttered for years but everyone is talking about it this year.

I personally have never been more captivated based on the racing we've seen. Bristol and Richmond both raced amazingly, several races have been bangers. The points are an improvement. The segments are a compromise I've learned to deal with. The latest version of the "young guns" are more exciting than the last version, imo.... It ain't that bad.

That said, I don't see how their current path is financially sustainable without further 'selling out'.

Electric self driving cars is what's putting an end to NA$CAR and auto racing, that and it's not on the internet.

Electric self driving cars will never end auto racing. That's the attraction, to watch men do battle with their machines. Those cars might, someday, make driving on public roads scarce, but human drivers will never be completely eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom