It's a sad day for Rock music...

I like.... Taylor Swift. Flame away. As a metalhead that has listened to a ton of devil music, I think I've earned the right to listen to some light pop-country about boys and breakups.

I just sad that she hasn't shown us more of Taylor in her videos.

That's the worst song I've ever liked.
Yep. I cannot stand the song, or the video really, but I've already watched the stupid thing twice today. Stupid crappy, horrible, infectious pop music. :mad:

I don't like this even more generic direction she's going in, but I do like her. How can you not? She's adorable.

Yep. I cannot stand the song, or the video really, but I've already watched the stupid thing twice today. Stupid crappy, horrible, infectious pop music. :mad:

I don't like this even more generic direction she's going in, but I do like her. How can you not? She's adorable.

I like the video because Taylor Swift is so damn cute :wub:

I like the video because Taylor Swift is so damn cute :wub:
I just watched it AGAIN, and now the song is stuck in my head. Either I'm a masochist or this simplistic bubblegum crap is growing on me like some sort of horrible infectious disease.

Every time I watch it, I think "good Lord, this is terrible, why do I keep watching this crap?" But then I see her smiling, dancing, and acting all goofy and I'm just like "aww...let's watch it again." :wub:

It really is a stupid song. I hate that saxophone.

Music with a message played with real instruments. Who knew that still existed today?

That was a good song and video. I like 5FDP, but I have to confess that I'm impressed because that's about as deep as I've ever seen them get.

Anyway, Taylor's songs have messages and tell stories too. That's actually one of the main reasons why I like her over all the other lame pop artists out there. Heck, the message is the one thing I can't criticize about that abomination I posted earlier in this thread.

Here's one she did that tells a decent story. I dunno how "real" the instrumentation is in it, but all I hear is a guitar and drums, and I'm not overly concerned about that sort of thing anyway.

As for metal, I see your 5FDP and raise you one Meshuggah:

My vote would be for this kid....James Bell from the U.K. doing a cover of UFO's Rock Bottom...He's only 13 years old...Can be found on You Tube.............

Music with a message played with real instruments. Who knew that still existed today?

If they ain't got no hot babe's in it then I don't has the time.

Audio tracks: Shall be completely about the music done right, as it perhaps may have happened in the link.

Video Tracks: Thou shall not cast thine eyes upon the unhawt. Henceforth the the exhibitionistic hotties should be scantily attired and in heels, yoga-ing gymnasticating, maleless ballarinaing, or simply heiney shaking.
Music is optional.

First of all, yep, everyone can want whatever they want, and I have no problem with athletic women. Some of them are attractive and some of them aren't, just like women in general. I'm sure Chex's girlfriend is perfectly attractive.

@ChexOrWrex, I never got into Halestorm like that, but that song was decent and the singer is pretty hawt, to quote @Greg. I don't know if there was enough heinie shaking in that one for him, but she was probably scantily clad enough to make it worth his while. :XXROFL:

This is now the unofficial metal/hot chicks in music thread. This is my girl Alissa White-Gluz. She used to be the lead singer of The Agonist, a Canadian melodeath/metalcore band, where she did both growled and clean vocals. Now she's the lead growler of the Swedish melodic death metal band Arch Enemy.

The second song is easier to get into IMO. The first one took a while to grow on me because it's more of a standard death metal song, but now it's one of my favorites of theirs. First one also has an F-bomb at around the 2:38 mark or so. You have been warned.

First of all, yep, everyone can want whatever they want, and I have no problem with athletic women. Some of them are attractive and some of them aren't, just like women in general. I'm sure Chex's girlfriend is perfectly attractive.

@ChexOrWrex, I never got into Halestorm like that, but that song was decent and the singer is pretty hawt, to quote @Greg. I don't know if there was enough heinie shaking in that one for him, but she was probably scantily clad enough to make it worth his while. :XXROFL:

This is now the unofficial metal/hot chicks in music thread. This is my girl Alissa White-Gluz. She used to be the lead singer of The Agonist, a Canadian melodeath/metalcore band, where she did both growled and clean vocals. Now she's the lead growler of the Swedish melodic death metal band Arch Enemy.

The second song is easier to get into IMO. The first one took a while to grow on me because it's more of a standard death metal song, but now it's one of my favorites of theirs. First one also has an F-bomb at around the 2:38 mark or so. You have been warned.

I can't believe that's a woman growling like that. I kinda liked the music in the second song though. Yeah, that's not for me, but to each his or her own.

My son listens to a Swedish band called Blindside. I like them ok. Here's one of their songs. No chick singer though, sorry.

I can't believe that's a woman growling like that. I kinda liked the music in the second song though. Yeah, that's not for me, but to each his or her own.

My son listens to a Swedish band called Blindside. I like them ok. Here's one of their songs. No chick singer though, sorry.
I would never have known they were Swedish if you hadn't said that. They sound like a typical American hard rock band. I started out on hard rock and don't really listen to it much these days, but there ain't nothin' wrong with it. I'd much rather see our youth listening to stuff like that and not the absolutely soulless pop music that fills the airwaves today.

I'm equally open to male and female singers. I've been on a Dream Theater kick lately. They're an American progressive metal band that's been around forever. I love the bass in that calm middle section, and the solo is great.

As for the females, this is Leaves' Eyes, a German/Norwegian symphonic metal band. The lineup consists of Liv Kristine and her husband's death metal band, Atrocity. This song pretty much got me into symphonic metal. This particular guy's vocals add nothing to the song for me, but you know, nepotism. LOL.

My vote would be for this kid....James Bell from the U.K. doing a cover of UFO's Rock Bottom...He's only 13 years old...Can be found on You Tube.............

Can he play it like Shenker

Arch Enemy is AWESOME! Are you into Lacuna Coil?

The way it should be done. Great tune and girls working out on stage.
The video quality is dated but the happy ending babe doing the one legged stand is a moving experience.

Arch Enemy is AWESOME! Are you into Lacuna Coil?
Yeah dude, I love Arch's new album. I didn't care for their previous vocalist, who was also female, but I love Alissa. She sounds kinda like the dude from Avenged Sevenfold when she does cleans, but I doubt she'll be doing them for Arch Enemy.

And yes, I'm down with Lacuna Coil. I liked most of the songs on Dark Adrenaline. Their new album, not so much, but I do like this song, Zombies:

In 1974 I was 13, it was before MTV. I would stay up to watch stuff like this on Friday nights.

Tina Turner and those legs was just damn

Can he play it like Shenker
The kids no Schenker,,,,YET...Here he is 41 years ago...

He's almost 60 years old...and I think he plays better now...

The Kid

Last edited by a moderator:
That trend may change pretty soon.

September 4th 5:45 am, a tragical moment that will live in infamy forever: I heard the song on the radio. It was horrendous.

Later on today I have to make a drive to Atlanta. The battle lines have been drawn for the wife, you play that crap more time in the car, and I am so out of here.

If you should drive by me walking on I85, I will be the dude smiling because he doesn't listen to that crap.
But I still think the video is good. She should just do it in silent.

That really ain't a bad idea, video babe's could just do the silent videos like they did a 100 years ago. Then we don't have to pretend that the music is good.

Last edited:
September 4th 5:45 am, a tragical moment that will live in infamy forever: I heard the song on the radio. It was horrendous.

Later on today I have to make a drive to Atlanta. The battle lines have been drawn for the wife, you play that crap more time in the car, and I am so out of here.

If you should drive by me walking on I85, I will be the dude smiling because he doesn't listen to that crap.

That really ain't a bad idea, video babe's could just do the silent videos like they did a 100 years ago. Then we don't have to pretend that the music is good.

What's this "radio" thing of which you speak? ;)

LOL. I see this as a cautionary tale about the dangers of listening to the radio. I never do. I just plug my mp3 player into my auxiliary jack or listen to mp3 CDs. Eff that.

I've come to the conclusion that the song (and especially the video) is just Taylor having fun and being silly and shouldn't be taken too seriously, so I no longer hate it (desensitization through repetition). Yes, she can do better than this simplistic stuff. That being said, I have a different perspective on it because I know that her best songs are usually the ones you never hear on the radio - at least, that was the case with her last album, Red.

You'd only know that if you actually sat down and listened to (or even sampled) the album, which most folks with decent taste in music and any dignity and pride whatsoever just aren't gonna do because they hear the pure poppiness from the singles and get turned off. Plus, it's Taylor Swift. Your 9 year old daughter just begged you to buy one of her albums for her birthday. The fear is totally understandable, and palpable. I've felt it myself. I'm a Christian, and I was just as apprehensive about buying a Taylor Swift album as I was about buying my first so-called Satanic metal album, perhaps even more so, which I guess says a lot about me and my faith. LOL. As was the case with the "evil" metal, the fear of Taylor was, and is, ultimately misguided.

She's not for everyone, and I don't listen to her 24/7 or have her poster over my bed or a shrine dedicated to her in my closet where I meditate, light candles, burn incense, and worship her greatness. I have to be in the mood for her music, but when I am, it hits the spot. Believe it or not, she's actually much better than most people will ever give her credit for.

LOL. I see this as a cautionary tale about the dangers of listening to the radio. I never do. I just plug my mp3 player into my auxiliary jack or listen to mp3 CDs. Eff that.

I've come to the conclusion that the song (and especially the video) is just Taylor having fun and being silly and shouldn't be taken too seriously, so I no longer hate it (desensitization through repetition). Yes, she can do better than this simplistic stuff. That being said, I have a different perspective on it because I know that her best songs are usually the ones you never hear on the radio - at least, that was the case with her last album, Red.

You'd only know that if you actually sat down and listened to (or even sampled) the album, which most folks with decent taste in music and any dignity and pride whatsoever just aren't gonna do because they hear the pure poppiness from the singles and get turned off. Plus, it's Taylor Swift. Your 9 year old daughter just begged you to buy one of her albums for her birthday. The fear is totally understandable, and palpable. I've felt it myself. I'm a Christian, and I was just as apprehensive about buying a Taylor Swift album as I was about buying my first so-called Satanic metal album, perhaps even more so, which I guess says a lot about me and my faith. LOL. As was the case with the "evil" metal, the fear of Taylor was, and is, ultimately misguided.

She's not for everyone, and I don't listen to her 24/7 or have her poster over my bed or a shrine dedicated to her in my closet where I meditate, light candles, burn incense, and worship her greatness. I have to be in the mood for her music, but when I am, it hits the spot. Believe it or not, she's actually much better than most people will ever give her credit for.
That is very well said. I've said on here many times that she is a very gifted song writer and I love her voice and her singing ability is, in my opinion, a bit underrated. I haven't listened to her last few albums in completion, but her first couple were exceptional. She covered some subjects that people from our generation considered old and tired subjects, but to many of her listeners they were new and exactly what they were going through for the first time and needing to hear support and guidance on. I know that my youngest daughter, in particular, has drawn a lot of strength, understanding, encouragement and wisdom from her over the years. She wouldn't listen to another country singer if you paid her to, but she just loves Taylor Swift. The biggest thing that she gets from Taylor Swift, I think, is knowing that all of the screwed up stuff that happens in her teenage head and heart is not is not something that she alone is going through. The fact that literally millions of other girls who love her music are going through the same stuff is a huge thing for all of them to realize.

It's the same thing we all experienced with the Ramones or any other band that spoke of our experiences growing up. Whether it was My Generation or Were Not Gonna Take It or something much more personal like I Was Only Joking by Rod Stewart was for me at times, there is nothing like the feeling of knowing that someone else gets you and that there are tons of other people that feel the same way.

This what I think of when I think of radio usually. Most of you can probably relate to this one like I can.
Being an 80s kid, I'm too young to truly relate to that, but I liked all the nostalgic references and the one gutiarist's shirt that said "if this song is too pop for you, it's probably past your bedtime." LOL. Good stuff.

My turn. Here's some Within Temptation. They're a Dutch symphonic metal/rock band. They use background effects like subtle choirs and orchestral sounds very well, and it gives the music a deep, atmospheric feel. They did this song with Tarja Turunen (the woman on the left), the former lead singer of Nightwish, a very popular Finnish symphonic metal band. Tarja does operatic vocals.

This is Delain, another Dutch symphonic metal band that was actually started by the former keyboardist of Within Temptation and Charlotte Wessels, the lead singer of the band. I love their newest album, The Human Contradiction. This is one of the best tracks off that album, Stardust.

And for my man @ChexOrWrex, here's some Amon Amarth, a Swedish viking-themed melodic death metal band. They do growled vocals, but this guy is pretty easy to understand IMO.

This what I think of when I think of radio usually. Most of you can probably relate to this one like I can.

The only everclear I've ever heard of is in a bottle and will kick your everlovin ass.

The only everclear I've ever heard of is in a bottle and will kick your everlovin ass.
That was the first kind of Everclear I ever heard of myself, and I'm sure that's where these guys got their name. But, I really like the band too. This song is a bit more pop than most of their other songs. They are usually a little grittier and heavier, but not always. They mix things up a lot.

So, I heard this song on The Tonight Show:

:rolleyes: No comment.

LOL. I had managed to block this abomination completely out of my memory until you posted it.

For what it's worth, I actually do think the girl is cute, and at least the underlying message of this steaming pile of feces she calls a song is positive. Yeah, my praise ends there. This may just be the absolute worst thing I have ever heard in my life. If not, it's at least in the top 5.

While we're on pop, this is probably my favorite Lorde song, which isn't saying a whole lot because it's one of maybe three songs she's done that I like. The only thing I don't like about her is that, like most pop artists, her lyrics don't always make sense to me or have any meaning.

Now excuse me while I spend the next hour or so listening to the angriest metal I can find on my mp3 player and purging that musical atrocity you posted from my brain.

It all went into the crapper when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for the first Metal award on the Grammies whenever that was.

Okay, everyone...thoughts on Babymetal?

If you haven't heard of them, it's three little Japanese girls backed by a metal band. They combine J-Pop with trance and metal sounds. It's definitely...different, to put it mildly. I'm not so much into the girls because I don't really care for the whole J-Pop thing, but the backing instrumentals are pretty good, and I actually do like some of their songs. I listen to Blood Stain Child, another Japanese band that combines melodic death metal and trance, so I'm used to this type of sound.

This is probably my favorite of theirs that I've heard so far. Check your musical pretension at the door. LOL.

And here's some Blood Stain Child. There's a girl singing and a guy growling. I generally loathe autotuned vocals but I can tolerate them here. Again, music snobs need not apply.

Okay, everyone...thoughts on Babymetal?

If you haven't heard of them, it's three little Japanese girls backed by a metal band. They combine J-Pop with trance and metal sounds. It's definitely...different, to put it mildly. I'm not so much into the girls because I don't really care for the whole J-Pop thing, but the backing instrumentals are pretty good, and I actually do like some of their songs. I listen to Blood Stain Child, another Japanese band that combines melodic death metal and trance, so I'm used to this type of sound.

This is probably my favorite of theirs that I've heard so far. Check your musical pretension at the door. LOL.

And here's some Blood Stain Child. There's a girl singing and a guy growling. I generally loathe autotuned vocals but I can tolerate them here. Again, music snobs need not apply.

I wouldn't consider myself a music snob, but I don't like it at all. Just not my thing and I like a lot of different stuff. Just not this. The second one was a lot better than the first one, but I just don't get the growling mostly.

I wouldn't consider myself a music snob, but I don't like it at all. Just not my thing and I like a lot of different stuff. Just not this. The second one was a lot better than the first one, but I just don't get the growling mostly.
That's totally fair. It took me a while to even sit down and listen to Blood Stain Child, let alone get into them. I'm actually impressed that your biggest complaint was the guy's growls. LOL.

I listened to some more Babymetal yesterday, and I'm a little disappointed. I initially thought I was going to buy their album, but they've been relegated to Lorde status for now. Out of everything I've heard from them so far, I only like maybe two or three of their songs, including the one that I posted here. I actually did buy Lorde's Pure Heroine album, but that's only because it was on sale for $4 on Amazon, which is what it would have cost to buy the three songs I liked individually. Babymetal wants $12. Eff that.

By the way, I hope I didn't sound like a snob when I used the term music snob. Ha ha. If so, I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I was one for a good amount of time and I probably still am one to some degree. :)

That's totally fair. It took me a while to even sit down and listen to Blood Stain Child, let alone get into them. I'm actually impressed that your biggest complaint was the guy's growls. LOL.

I listened to some more Babymetal yesterday, and I'm a little disappointed. I initially thought I was going to buy their album, but they've been relegated to Lorde status for now. Out of everything I've heard from them so far, I only like maybe two or three of their songs, including the one that I posted here. I actually did buy Lorde's Pure Heroine album, but that's only because it was on sale for $4 on Amazon, which is what it would have cost to buy the three songs I liked individually. Babymetal wants $12. Eff that.

By the way, I hope I didn't sound like a snob when I used the term music snob. Ha ha. If so, I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I was one for a good amount of time and I probably still am one to some degree. :)
Babymetal is odd. The first clip I saw was a live clip that seemed to have gone somewhat viral. At first I thought, killer riff, some pretty cool industrial metal. And then, well, it turned strange.

Babymetal is odd. The first clip I saw was a live clip that seemed to have gone somewhat viral. At first I thought, killer riff, some pretty cool industrial metal. And then, well, it turned strange.
I'm gonna assume that what you saw was the video for "Gimme Chocolate." LOL. That seems to be their most popular song.

Babymetal has grown on me like a disease, and I ended up caving in and buying their album, just like I knew I would. I finally learned to not take them so seriously. Honestly, they're just fun to listen to and watch, and they have the most random transitions. There's one song, "Iine," where they break out into a hilarious little hip-hop section and then follow it up with this heavy, metalcore-style breakdown. :XXROFL:

Su-metal (Suzuka Nakamoto, the oldest girl and lead singer of the group) actually has a pretty decent voice which is showcased well in this song. The guitar solo here is pretty good too, though the skeleton guys in the video are clearly just acting. They do have a live band that backs them up during concerts sometimes called the Kami Band.

Back
Top Bottom