Jack has his answer

For what ever reason...Mopardh9 has illustrates a very unhealthy prejudice against Matt Kenseth.
I'm sure Matt is losing more sleep over the #6 performance than he is the opinions of strangers on the web. I also suspect he isn't losing much over the #6.

How is a champion driver with almost 40 wins overrated in you book? Believe there are only a couple of active drivers with more.
He's overrated because if he was so damn good he would have a premium ride this year. Don't give me the sponsor excuse either, doesn’t fly, if he was so valuable he would be in a competitive ride instead of testing for Roush.

I wonder how much Kenseth’s helmet bag weighs?

upload_2018-6-8_9-58-5.png

Reactions: sdj
I think Roush racing has been in decline for a long time, even before Kenseth left. Kenseth can provide feedback but changes will take time. Depending on how fast they can change processes to catch up with the top teams it could take years to recover. Even then they will have to come up with innovations that has helped advance other teams.

I think Roush racing has been in decline for a long time, even before Kenseth left. Kenseth can provide feedback but changes will take time. Depending on how fast they can change processes to catch up with the top teams it could take years to recover. Even then they will have to come up with innovations that has helped advance other teams.
And drivers, who's going to want to drive for them?

They are progressing, that is for sure.

Matt Kenseth is performing about like I expected him to. Nothing extravagant yet, but the gains are being made.

I hear when Matt gets into Victory lane with Roush then Carl is coming back. :rolleyes:

I just think Matt is overrated, an opinion that I have backed up, his results since being back show that.
Most drivers are only as good as their equipment and team. The relationship ship between driver and CC also is a factor. Another factor and I think this may be true of HMS is that the shop becomes complaisant.

Most drivers are only as good as their equipment and team. The relationship ship between driver and CC also is a factor. Another factor and I think this may be true of HMS is that the shop becomes complaisant.
True, but if Matt was as great as you all say, he would have a top ride right now instead of being a test driver.

True, but if Matt was as great as you all say, he would have a top ride right now instead of being a test driver.

You’re disregarding a very important dynamic of the sport. The business side of it, with contracts and comittments signed and in place far in advance. Also consider financial compensation for an older asset vs. less dollars for a younger one. Furthermore, consider the issues surrounding breaking a contract with a signed driver to bring him in.

Matt not having a top tier ride is more a reflection of the current economic landscape of the sport; not his ability. He’s a first ballot HOF driver in my opinion.

You’re disregarding a very important dynamic of the sport. The business side of it, with contracts and comittments signed and in place far in advance. Also consider financial compensation for an older asset vs. less dollars for a younger one. Furthermore, consider the issues surrounding breaking a contract with a signed driver to bring him in.

Matt not having a top tier ride is more a reflection of the current economic landscape of the sport; not his ability. He’s a first ballot HOF driver in my opinion.
I'm not, you all can bitch about sponsr money, business. ...blah blah, bottom line if Matt was as good as you all say he'd be in a top ride right now...he isn't. ..he's overhyped.

Matt has two strikes against him in the current business environment. Neither of them are his talent.

1) He's a Chase-qualifiying veteran with high salary expectations. He's financially set for life, so he's able to decline a smaller salary as the cost of landing in a top-tier ride. This is something many other veterans are going to face in the next few years; the sponsorship money just isn't there any more. He has other things he could be doing outside the sport, so he's not worried if he doesn't race Cup again.
2) Last year he was (one of?) the oldest full-time driver in the field. Let's say he would accept a smaller paycheck. Younger drivers can be had for the same price, with many more years ahead of them.

JGR had a pipeline full of talent and needed to put it somewhere or lose it. They could have handled it better, but it made business sense to drop the talented but expensive and aged Kenseth. They're the same reasons the Indianapolis Colts dropped Payton Manning for Andrew Luck. "Nothing personal, it's just business."

Last edited:
I'm not, you all can bitch about sponsr money, business. ...blah blah, bottom line if Matt was as good as you all say he'd be in a top ride right now...he isn't. ..he's overhyped.
You're wrong. So wrong on so many levels thats its mind boggling how you could be so wrong. Everyone with an IQ over 1 knows Matt is a Championship caliber driver. So if you dont think so Im just going to go ahead and assume you dont.

Just saw this is Matt’s last race until September, is this true? Also been reading the last page or so....if anyone is of the opinion that Matt Freaking Kenseth isn’t a championship driver and up till last year was one of the 10 best drivers in the sport....like I said you’re entitled to your opinion, but it’s a bad one.

Matt Kenseth is the 12th all-time winningest driver in NASCAR history.

He is not over hyped, nor is there a debate about him vs. Bayne. History speaks for itself.

Back
Top Bottom