Japanese Grand Prix

This doesn't seem right at all..

These awkward crashes seem to be the ugliest...

Any links? Can't find much of anything

All the reports of a truck/tractor now distilled to the truth: Bianchi hit the crane that was lifting Sutil's car onto a flat bed. At least that's what is being reported in Twitter.

Kind of asinine they even have the happy music and gave them the champagne at all?

Sutil said he hit a crane truck... Apparently shaken, also a photo floating around of a white sheet covering the accident scene....

Why was a tractor out in the open where someone could crash into it?

Bianchi unconscious, being transported by ambulance, conditions too poor for helicopter.. Per r/formulaone...

I'm not sure it's necessarily good news he's unconscious like some on Twitter seem to think it is. :(

This will probably be the end of sectional cautions in Formula One. Or at least during the rain. It'll be a pain if every caution is a SC caution with Formula One's long road courses, but people will be calling for it.

I'm gonna have to check out. What a bummer. I hope it isn't as bad as it seems. Hang in there, Jules.

Can't help but think of Maria De Villota.. :(

Never good when info is closely held on these things. From that pic it looks like the car submarined under the tractor.

It just feels like this could have been easliy prevented. You're racing in increasingly bad conditions and a driver goes off the track then another in the same area hits a crane..Damn shame.

Yeah, like what Kevin said above there will probably be changes to SC stuff in the rain with recovery equipment on track.

Sutil: "Situation with Bianchi is critical. Hope he is in good hands. I was standing right next it. Don't want to talk about details."

Not good...

P8bCmVe.png

These drivers getting asked about the race is really uncomfortable. They all look shell shocked.

edit; watching stream from Sky sports

Severe head injury, underwent/undergoing surgery, then moving to intensive care...

Did the powers in charge not know the typhoon was coming? How could they even consider starting the race?
Did they expect the torrential rain to just magically stop while they ran the race?

I'm still in disbelief.

I like F1, but dang, they need to take better care of their competitors.

Did the powers in charge not know the typhoon was coming? How could they even consider starting the race?
Did they expect the torrential rain to just magically stop while they ran the race?

I'm still in disbelief.

It wasn't bad in the middle of the race. Most of the time they weren't even running full wet tires.

Honda refused to move the race up as the FIA/FOM asked.

I'm still in disbelief.

Personally, I think F1 does a great job taking care of the drivers. The rain/typhoon didn't really cause a problem. I've seen them run in worse conditions without a problem.

Having seen the video of what happened to Bianchi it looked like some kind of mechanical or electronic failure to me. He just went straight off, no spin or anything; like the throttle hung or the brakes or steering failed. I hope he's alright in the end; it was a terrible crash.

It's strange; some of the worst and scariest looking crashes that I've seen have happened under yellow conditions. This Bianchi incident, Steve Park's Busch series crash, and Montoya hitting the jet dryer, for example.

Video shows a green flag waving right above the crane.

Back
Top Bottom