Jerry Punch out at ESPN

I have nothing against Punch but what role would he fulfill at Fox or NBC? He was a lousy play by play dude and isn't really needed as a pit reporter so what would he do?

I have nothing against Punch but what role would he fulfill at Fox or NBC? He was a lousy play by play dude and isn't really needed as a pit reporter so what would he do?
Replace one of the current PRP , there a few I can think of, NBC has/had a opening this year for a PRP, Mike Massro left NBC shortly after the end of 2016 .

PRP=Pit Road Reporter

Replace one of the current PRP , there a few I can think of, NBC has/had a opening this year for a PRP, Mike Massro left NBC shortly after the end of 2016 .

PRP=Pit Road Reporter

If NBC needs a pit reporter he would be a good candidate but I am guessing he is in his mid 60's so maybe he would be happy just hanging it up.

Holy ****! Shame on ESPN! Shame on the rest of the networks if they don't make a huge run at this man. A true gentleman. Brilliant reporter.

It really is amazing. They basically gave their official "**** sports, we want to be TMZ featuring Steven A Smith" today.
E$PN might as make it official, they have been the TMZ of sports for awhile now.

It really is amazing. They basically gave their official "**** sports, we want to be TMZ featuring Steven A Smith" today.
I heard a radio report on NPR that basically said just that. Nobody needs SportsCenter to get a highlight fix anymore. The network needs to save money to pay for some fat new contracts, and 'talking head' shows are cheaper to produce than coverage and summary ones.

Why bother, at least around here? As far as I've read, most posters here haven't looked at them since their NASCAR contract ended.

I have not watched ESPN in over 15 years and from what I read they appear to have become a caricature of themselves.

Didn’t care for Punch in the booth. They had him trying to exaggerate ‘n hype stuff ‘n he wasn’t a natural at it.

Didn’t care for Punch in the booth. They had him trying to exaggerate ‘n hype stuff ‘n he wasn’t a natural at it.
I thought putting Doc in the booth was a disservice to him. He was much better suited as pit road reported, and his medical skills came in handy there on a few occasions.

Doc Punch was loyal to ESPN when they lost NASCAR in 2000. The rewarded him by naming him PxP when they got NASCAR back. Even after the most recent departure, he has opportunities to go elsewhere but decided to remain loyal. And this is what he got in return.

The parallels between NASCAR and ESPN are striking when considering both are giving the fans things they don't want and not keeping up with the times.

I thought he wasn't that good of a race caller.

Who can forget his word vomit when Johnson won #5? "That knocking that you hear is the final-coffin of-nail of the final coffin of the chase contenders hopes"

Holy sh!t! Shame on ESPN! Shame on the rest of the networks if they don't make a huge run at this man. A true gentleman. Brilliant reporter.

Plus he has helped save driver lives at race tracks, one that come to mind are Rusty Wallace, yes, he is a good man, easy to listen to and very knowledgeable on the sport. I hope someone grabs him.
I listened to a legends segment on XM radio the Godfather does every Thursday and he was a guest recently, he is quite the guy.

I thought he wasn't that good of a race caller.

Who can forget his word vomit when Johnson won #5? "That knocking that you hear is the final-coffin of-nail of the final coffin of the chase contenders hopes"

That was Marty Reid.

When I think of Pit Road Reporter Jerry is right up there near the top of the list.
He might be being gracious because at his age this can be a good thing...speaking from personal experience.

Jerry Punch as an announcer was awful especially when he did the fake excitement thing. Sounded more like he was trying to eliminate a particularly hard stool.

I thought putting Doc in the booth was a disservice to him. He was much better suited as pit road reported, and his medical skills came in handy there on a few occasions.

He was excellent in the booth when he filled in for Bob Jenkins and called ARCA and stuff. Doc was the one on the call of the legendary 2000 Winston 500.

ESPN's coverage in 2007 and 2008 was abysmal, downright unwatchable, for a long list of reasons. NBC was terrible the year before but at least they had Wally Dallenbach in the booth. That first year the races were on ESPN, especially, it was downright painful.

You know the coverage on ABC and Fox was bad when most everyone on here thought TNT was the gold standard for motorsports coverage. Well, until VS took over INDYCAR anyway.

Back
Top Bottom