Jimmie Johnson fans, who will be your new favorite driver after he retires?

furredracer88

Team Owner
For me, it might be Martin Truex Jr but I am going to wait until after the 2020 season to make my decision final. It could change. What about you guys and girls?

I would love to see Larson in a Chevy at HMS after JJ retires. But If she keeps on improving I wouldn't mind seeing Deegan get the shot. I'm already starting to like her racing skills more and more.

Last edited:
For me, it might be Martin Truex Jr but I am going to wait until after the 2020 season to make my decision final. It could change. What about you guys and girls?
You and me both, although Kurt will be the other driver I root for after JJ moves on.

I'm gonna be keeping an eye on the relatively less hyped younger Hendrick drivers too.

they should put the busch beer guy in the 48,
he looks just like jj

JJ was my driver after Sr died ,took me awhile to switch to him but it was a good choice for me. Might take awhile to find another one.

JJ was my driver after Sr died ,took me awhile to switch to him but it was a good choice for me. Might take awhile to find another one.
Wow. You've witnessed 14 cup championships as a fan. Incredible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

they should put the busch beer guy in the 48,
he looks just like jj

Harvick will retire from a Ford whilst that 48 suffers many years of mediocrity and no more victories. I hope Jimmie enjoys retirement because his best cup days are behind him already. Hahahaha

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmie stick it out for another season if they don't get back to racing this year.

I dont think it works that way.

For me when Gordon retired I thought I'd gravitate toward Larson but it never truly happened for me. I just stopped watching overall.

It needs to happen organically, otherwise you're just fooling yourself into liking someone and that feels false. Even if you like the guy personally you might not feel the same fire. Which would them make you question why am I even a fan of this guy if my celebrations feel sort of empty.

Odd tangent. Carry on fellas. :lol2:

I dont think it works that way.

For me when Gordon retired I thought I'd gravitate toward Larson but it never truly happened for me. I just stopped watching overall.

It needs to happen organically, otherwise you're just fooling yourself into liking someone and that feels false. Even if you like the guy personally you might not feel the same fire. Which would them make you question why am I even a fan of this guy if my celebrations feel sort of empty.

Odd tangent. Carry on fellas. :lol2:

I mean, naturally wouldn’t whoever your second driver is move up?

I mean, naturally wouldn’t whoever your second driver is move up?

My secondary driver coicidentally is Jimmie but I still couldn't get fully behind him as my number 1.

To be fair though my love for the sport itself kinda died out. Gordon leaving just made it easier for me to step away from it.

My secondary driver coicidentally is Jimmie but I still couldn't get fully behind him as my number 1.

To be fair though my love for the sport itself kinda died out. Gordon leaving just made it easier for me to step away from it.

Fair enough.

Probably can work that way for some and others it can’t. Like for me, Chase was behind Jr and once Jr was done, Chase moved up and I get as happy for his wins as I did Jr.

Some of us are just different so I understand that honestly.

"Honestly, I feel like Mr. Hendrick doesn’t want to see me step away yet, Ally is signed up through 2023 – there are all these things that are there that I think would give me the opportunity to do it,"

Also, the talent pool is as weak as it's ever been.

Aside from the first half of Tony Stewart's career, this is the first time in a very very long time there have not been two top 10 drivers all time in the field.

First time since almost ever we haven't had one of the GOATs in the field. Kyle Busch has his time now as the guard is passed and his superiors retired, and what's left are an aging Harvick and Truex, a prime Logano and an aging Brad and Hamlin, as well as some young unproven drivers at the championship level.

Very different from his early Gibbs days against GOATS in Johnson and Gordon, a top 10 driver in Stewart, Champions in Matt, and Kurt, Brad.. as well as non champions, but championship contenders in Edwards, Harvick, Hamlin, Mark Martin at times. Crop of talent isn't what it was 10 years ago.

Chase Elliot is the next to break out, and no disrespect to him, but he still isn't even close to how good Edwards was his first 4 years, same with Hamlin and Busch as well.

The stars today are a step below than 10 years ago. It's disappointing and predictable.

Aside from the first half of Tony Stewart's career, this is the first time in a very very long time there have not been two top 10 drivers all time in the field.

First time since almost ever we haven't had one of the GOATs in the field. Kyle Busch has his time now as the guard is passed and his superiors retired, and what's left are an aging Harvick and Truex, a prime Logano and an aging Brad and Hamlin, as well as some young unproven drivers at the championship level.

Very different from his early Gibbs days against GOATS in Johnson and Gordon, a top 10 driver in Stewart, Champions in Matt, and Kurt, Brad.. as well as non champions, but championship contenders in Edwards, Harvick, Hamlin, Mark Martin at times. Crop of talent isn't what it was 10 years ago.

Chase Elliot is the next to break out, and no disrespect to him, but he still isn't even close to how good Edwards was his first 4 years, same with Hamlin and Busch as well.

The stars today are a step below than 10 years ago. It's disappointing and predictable.

Disagree entirely.

The incoming guys are still real young, while I do not think we will see a dominant force. I think the field of depth is better than it ever has been in terms of just talent.

We do not need another 7 time champion, it would be cool, but would it really be necessary? Let the competition be what it is, not to mention the strength of teams alter from year to year.

Disagree entirely.

The incoming guys are still real young, while I do not think we will see a dominant force. I think the field of depth is better than it ever has been in terms of just talent.

We do not need another 7 time champion, it would be cool, but would it really be necessary? Let the competition be what it is, not to mention the strength of teams alter from year to year.
right on. Cars and the times have changed, it is harder then hell to win a race, any little advantage is huge at this point in the current car development. Another huge factor is no testing. How do the younger drivers get over that disadvantage when they can't go to a track and test?

Disagree entirely.

Edit: This turned out to be a long post. Don't feel obligated to read it if you don't feel like it.

I can't agree with this at all. So what that they were young? So was the last crop. Look back in time.

Jeff Gordon at the start of 2000 was the best driver in the field. He was still arguably in his prime for the next 10+ years, contending and winning a lot of races. Stewart and Johnson were the other all time drivers of that decade, better than the best 2 or 3 drivers of today..historically.

Now look at the young guns during that time in top equipment.

Tony Stewart: Season #4, Champion with 15 career wins at age 31 (I think). Not that young.

Matt Kenseth: Season #4, champion with 7 wins, age 31. Yeah, a bit older too.

Kurt Busch: Season #4, champion with 14 career wins, age 25.

Jimmie Johnson: season #5, champion, 19 career wins, age 32

These guys are champions. Yeah.

Non champions:

Carl Edwards: season #4, 16 career wins, and a 2 time champion runner up. Age 28

Kyle Busch: season #4, 14 career wins, championship contender/favorite. Age 22

Denny Hamlin: Season #4, 8 career wins, age 28. Was championship runner up in 2006 as a rookie, and a contender by season 4.

Joey Logano: Took some time, by age 25, he was a contender with 14 wins under his belt.

Brad Keselowski: Season #4, 9 career wins, champion in full time season #3, at age 28.

Even Ryan Newman, who didn't really contend, had 12 wins by year #4 at age 27.
Now today.

Who are the best young guns?

Chase Elliot: season # 4, age 23, 6 career wins, has not contender for a title. Looking to be compatible to Logano by year 7, okay.

Ryan Blaney: Season # 4, age 25, 3 wins, no contention for a title.

Kyle Larson: season #4, 5 wins, age 24, no contention for a title

Erik Jones: season #3 at age 22, 2 career wins, no contention for a title.

Not sure who else I am missing. But my point here is that, yeah, the previous crop of drivers got their starts a few years older than today, but not only did the previous crop of drivers have more rookie success and early career success than today, but they did it against a lot more championship Calibur drivers.

Kurt and Kyle Busch both started just as young as today's young guns and had way more success.

Edwards at a rookie at age 25 won more races and was closer to a championship than Elliot's 4th season at age 23. Same with Kyle Busch at age 22 in year #4.

More success.

Stewart, Johnson, Gordon, Kyle Busch, Harvick, Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Edwards, Hamlin, Keselowski and Logano is just a better overall talent pool than

Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick, Martin Truex Jr, Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, Ryan Blaney, Chase Elliot, Erik Jones and Kyle Larson.

More wins, better points finishes. Etc.

I like all the Hendrick guys, Chastain and Blaney. not sure I'm gonna have another "number 1" driver. I'd also like for the 48 to never be driven by another Hendrick driver and for the successor to drive the 5 or 25

right on. Cars and the times have changed, it is harder then hell to win a race, any little advantage is huge at this point in the current car development. Another huge factor is no testing. How do the younger drivers get over that disadvantage when they can't go to a track and test?
Testing is fairly big, I'll give you that. But going fast and figuring out a line is one thing, racing is another. Race practice and actual races are the best teachers, and imo, better teachers than testing.

Everyone plays by the same rules. If you are suggesting that younger drivers had it easier then, I hear you, although I disagree. The cars 10+ years ago, per many driver report, were more difficult to drive than the cars of today.

I just don't think today's new era of drivers are as talented as last eras. And if I wasn't clear, my reason is exclusively due to their lack of early career success against champions compared to their predecessors. I just don't think you can attribute their superior success to age and closer cars.

Nailed it to the tune of 100%.

That is how I feel about the whole situation NASCAR is in now. Besides the crop of mixed talent there just isn't enough personality in NASCAR.

To think Gordon was considered to be a boring non hot take driver. :lol2: he runs circles on the interesting scale compared to the ones we have now.

Nailed it to the tune of 100%.

That is how I feel about the whole situation NASCAR is in now. Besides the crop of mixed talent there just isn't enough personality in NASCAR.

To think Gordon was considered to be a boring non hot take driver. 2: he runs circles on the interesting scale compared to the ones we have now.

Kyle is a top 10 driver of all time. But he isn't on THAT GOAT level like the media wants him to be...and there isn't anyone else today, besides an aging Harvick who has top 10 potential...and he doesn't.

We haven't seen this in over 30 years. Today's version of racing, in a vacuum is a shadow of what it was.

Thank God we have Kyle's personality though. Sport would be more dull without him

I will say if Hallie Deegan winds up being legit, she will become as big as Dale Earnhardt. She drives aggressive af, gets social media, and is attractive (I’m 26 lol). I think the sport is definitely on the uptick after that decline

It needs to happen organically, otherwise you're just fooling yourself
That is so true. When Junior retired, my head picked Chase Elliott but I think my heart has been with Jimmie Johnson. I seem to get more emotional about his ups and downs. I still like Chase, plus a few more.. Blaney, Kurt, Logano. I think it will take some time to click.

Back
Top Bottom