Jimmie Johnson takes a bow

10-4

Team Owner
Hat's off to Jimmie. I never was a fan, and that's nothing personal there, but he really was a great driver and he would outdrive just about anybody out there when that car was dialed in. I dunno how many times I saw him go from the rear to the front for a win gnashing my teeth about it lol. I am a little sad to see him go. Can't believe I'm saying that thinking back to how dominant he used to be and how I hated it lol.

It's gonna be odd seeing that 48 car go around the track without Jimmie driving it. I'm just glad he was able to have a good run in his last start.

Thanks for the memories JJ, and best of luck in Indycar!:salute:

Reactions: Pat
I'll always remember JJ as I first saw him - skipping across the Turn 1 gravel trap at Watkins Gien, slamming into the foam blocks, then climbing out and standing on the roof like he'd won a title or something. Nobody had a clue what he'd do.

Hat's off to Jimmie. I never was a fan, and that's nothing personal there, but he really was a great driver and he would outdrive just about anybody out there when that car was dialed in. I dunno how many times I saw him go from the rear to the front for a win gnashing my teeth about it lol. I am a little sad to see him go. Can't believe I'm saying that thinking back to how dominant he used to be and how I hated it lol.
That's me in a nutshell. :laugh: Good luck to him going forward. It'll be interesting (to say the least) to see what he can do in an Indy car but I don't think he'll stink up the shows like he did so often in Cup.
Classic Tony. :XXROFL:

Jimmie's career was impressive when looking at it in-the-moment. But in retrospect he was winning in what will arguably always be NASCAR's most competitive era, 2003-2010ish. The talent then was just dripping, and I don't think people appreciated it til it was over. Sooooo many well-funded cars. Talented drivers who earned their way through the ranks. No ride-buyers, and the "I'm only here because of my sponsor" kind-of-driver was pretty much limited to Paul Menard and his weekly 25th place finish. Heck they'd get 45-50+ cars attempt to qualify week-to-week and the top 43 would almost always be within 1 second or less (unthinkable today).

Jimmie beat Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Kenseth, Kahne, Newman, Jr, both Busch brothers, Biffle, Martin, Harvick and quite a few others year after year after year after year. The talent pool in this sport never was and probably never will be as potent as that generation of drivers.

I know it's different given that Jeff wasfarfrom a champion at that point etc, but Chase winning it all in Jimmie's final race reminds me so much of the "torch passing" at Atlanta 1992 in Richard petty's last race.

I know it's different given that Jeff wasfarfrom a champion at that point etc, but Chase winning it all in Jimmie's final race reminds me so much of the "torch passing" at Atlanta 1992 in Richard petty's last race.
I thought of that today too.

As many of you here know, I have been a fan of Jimmie since his very first night in a ASA stock car, and it has seemed like we were somehow tied together ever since. I tuned into the first race of the 1998 ASA season looking for a second driver to support along side my long time favorite Scott Hansen. After scanning the starting lineup and not seeing anyone that caught my interest, they showed this white #44 car with the Chevy logos on it driven by some kid I had never heard of, but his crew chief was the great Howie Lettow, so I said what the heck, and started following his season. He went the distance that night and finished 8th. While he wasn't winning, he did well enough to keep my interest, especially when I found out he had ZERO actual car racing experience. In August of that year, I was lucky enough to be in the infield at IRP for the Truck race and Busch Series practice, and got to see Jimmie practice and qualify Tad Geschickter's Kingsford #59. I didn't get to meet Jimmie that day, but I DID talk to Howie. The next night I saw his Busch Series debut from the grandstands, where he finished 25th two laps down. He was solid back then if not spectacular, but his easy going personality impressed me, and I kept my hopes up. Fast forward two years later, and my dad and I were fortunate enough to be guests of Zippo Lighters and Jimmy Spencer for the Busch Race at Michigan, where we got to hang out in the garage and watch the race from Jimmy's pit. I saw Jimmie Johnson on pit road and we exchanged hellos, and I also got to "eavesdrop" on chitchat between Jeff and Brooke Gordon and some other dignitaries on pit road before the race. Of course I had no idea what transpired that day between Jeff and Jimmie that launched him into a career with HMS until much later. Fast forward to 2002, Jimmie's rookie Cup season. I was doing the ARCA thing and got to hang out outside the #48 garage stall during practice, once again at Michigan. I also got to meet Chad Knaus that weekend, who was sitting on the pit wall watching us push the "original" #48 car down pit road to get to the gas pumps in the Cup garage. fast forward some more, and I was in the stands for all four of his Brickyard 400 victories, saw every one of his 79 other wins and 7 championships on television, and today saw it all come to a happy, a sad and a bittersweet end after 22 years. Jimmie, thanks for the thrills, thanks for the great moments, and thanks for being a class act that I could be proud to be a fan of from the very start to the very end.

Jimmie's career was impressive when looking at it in-the-moment. But in retrospect he was winning in what will arguably always be NASCAR's most competitive era, 2003-2010ish. The talent then was just dripping, and I don't think people appreciated it til it was over. Sooooo many well-funded cars. Talented drivers who earned their way through the ranks. No ride-buyers, and the "I'm only here because of my sponsor" kind-of-driver was pretty much limited to Paul Menard and his weekly 25th place finish. Heck they'd get 45-50+ cars attempt to qualify week-to-week and the top 43 would almost always be within 1 second or less (unthinkable today).

Jimmie beat Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Kenseth, Kahne, Newman, Jr, both Busch brothers, Biffle, Martin, Harvick and quite a few others year after year after year after year. The talent pool in this sport never was and probably never will be as potent as that generation of drivers.
I can't help but agree. 2000-2015 is the most talented era we have ever seen. You are right. Jimmie dominated 4 of the 10 greatest drivers of all time year after year. Plus other champ Calibur drivers who never won a title, and ones who did. And then of course the 5 straight titles is about as untouchable as Petty's 200.

This is what sets his career apartment from the other 7x champs. And Gordon too. Jimmie's top end accomplishments and the competition he did it against outweighs any microstats imo.

We haven't had a consensus GOAT in nascar, I feel like, but I feel in 2-4 years Jimmie will be as close to that as anyone ever.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

As many of you here know, I have been a fan of Jimmie since his very first night in a ASA stock car, and it has seemed like we were somehow tied together ever since. I tuned into the first race of the 1998 ASA season looking for a second driver to support along side my long time favorite Scott Hansen. After scanning the starting lineup and not seeing anyone that caught my interest, they showed this white #44 car with the Chevy logos on it driven by some kid I had never heard of, but his crew chief was the great Howie Lettow, so I said what the heck, and started following his season. He went the distance that night and finished 8th. While he wasn't winning, he did well enough to keep my interest, especially when I found out he had ZERO actual car racing experience. In August of that year, I was lucky enough to be in the infield at IRP for the Truck race and Busch Series practice, and got to see Jimmie practice and qualify Tad Geschickter's Kingsford #59. I didn't get to meet Jimmie that day, but I DID talk to Howie. The next night I saw his Busch Series debut from the grandstands, where he finished 25th two laps down. He was solid back then if not spectacular, but his easy going personality impressed me, and I kept my hopes up. Fast forward two years later, and my dad and I were fortunate enough to be guests of Zippo Lighters and Jimmy Spencer for the Busch Race at Michigan, where we got to hang out in the garage and watch the race from Jimmy's pit. I saw Jimmie Johnson on pit road and we exchanged hellos, and I also got to "eavesdrop" on chitchat between Jeff and Brooke Gordon and some other dignitaries on pit road before the race. Of course I had no idea what transpired that day between Jeff and Jimmie that launched him into a career with HMS until much later. Fast forward to 2002, Jimmie's rookie Cup season. I was doing the ARCA thing and got to hang out outside the #48 garage stall during practice, once again at Michigan. I also got to meet Chad Knaus that weekend, who was sitting on the pit wall watching us push the "original" #48 car down pit road to get to the gas pumps in the Cup garage. fast forward some more, and I was in the stands for all four of his Brickyard 400 victories, saw every one of his 79 other wins and 7 championships on television, and today saw it all come to a happy, a sad and a bittersweet end after 22 years. Jimmie, thanks for the thrills, thanks for the great moments, and thanks for being a class act that I could be proud to be a fan of from the very start to the very end.
Powerful. You have as great a claim as a fan as anyone.

He always was one of the most professional athletes out there in terms of his attitude. It'll suck not having him on the track.

You just may see history repeated itself in the coming years. We have a new car, all new drivers, some new teams and hopefully racing under a new format. The future does look bright.

I was talking to a neighbor friend yesterday, he’s 12 years younger than me. I’ve known him since obviously birth since our families were so close living next to each other since the early 90’s. His guy was Jimmie, was a fan of his since he was 5 years old. He’s 24 years old now and I texted him “sorry Jimmie retired” he responded it won’t be the same now will it? I told him no when you lose your first favorite driver something is missing, but the good news is your raceday’s won’t live and die with one driver. It’s easier to enjoy the full experience now. I was never a Jimmie fan, I loathed him when he was at the top. Mainly because he was kicking my favorite driver’s ass for most of that run (Jeff Gordon) I couldn’t believe this dude came in and took what was supposed to be JG’s reign. I had an unhealthy hate for JJ ha ha. But as the years wore on, I recognized his accomplishments in the Chase for the Cup/Playoff era. He also seemed like a pretty swell guy, just recognized each championship opportunity and seized it. I’ll maintain that from about 05-13, he was the closest thing NASCAR saw to Tiger Woods. Those guys wilted in the playoffs when Jimmie had a shot. I even cheered for him during his 7th Cup, more out of shock he had a chance really. I’m sad his drop off from the top was so steep, I never though he would have won his last race in 17. I would have liked to have seen him win a few more races in his later years, but not too many as to move past JG for that third on the all time wins list ;)But just a few more. I have this sneaking feeling just a hunch an uneducated hunch but a hunch after this Indy Car excursion and Sports Car dalliance we MIGHT see him back running full time in Cup, making a last go of it for that 8th championship or a few more wins. Also the fans would get to see him one more time and he seems like a decent enough dude as to where he’d want his 48 fans to see him one last time in a normal setting. Mark Martin was a health freak much like Jimmie and almost beat Jimmie when Mark was in his 50’s. Plus I think the new car coming out if it drives good...might tempt him. There’s precedence for this. Might be in denial but I see Jimmie back in 2-3 years time, not for long but long enough to maybe tie up some loose ends. In closing, it was fun cheering against and finally for the man. He was a class act to the end.

Knowing Jimmie, that's probably how he really feels, but I also think he is smart and savvy enough to realize that with a mostly sympathetic media covering your sport, there is nothing to be gained by being snarky, antagonistic or confrontational with them, even when they occasionally deserve it.

That's truly awesome. Thanks for sharing. How you and I came to be a fan of Jimmie's couldn't be farther apart as I didn't even choose to root for him and was practically born into it during NASCAR's boom in the 2000s. However we both ended up with a driver we could 100% proudly cheer for when it came to performance on track, and actions off of it.

I really didn't know what a marvelous fan you were of Johnson. The last time I heard you to have anything to say about Jimmie Johnson was last year when you were saying to me what a miserable excuse for a driver he was for taking Truex out in the last turn at the Roval.

I really didn't know what a marvelous fan you were of Johnson. The last time I heard you to have anything to say about Jimmie Johnson was last year when you were saying to me what a miserable excuse for a driver he was for taking Truex out in the last turn at the Roval.

That's not EVEN CLOSE to what I said. I said that he got lost in the moment of trying to win the race and lost sight of the bigger picture, which was to advance in the playoffs. It was a low percentage move that had almost ZERO chance of succeeding. Just because someone is one of my all time favorites does not mean that I stop being objective about what they do or say. If you will remember, earlier this year I criticized Chase for the way he handled the crash with Joey at Bristol. I thought the move was just an attempt to win the race, but I was disappointed in how he handled it afterwards, even if it was to a driver I don't care for. Does that make me a bad fan?

Awesome to see him go out with the great run he had yesterday

I'll miss him, one of the sports greats. Unfortunately it was time, the magic was gone.

over 2 minutes long, I can't believe they missed it

I'm happy for Chase and I realize the passing of the guard was a big story. Chase is probably going to be the next great champion and maybe the next Kyle Busch. However we may never see another seven-time champion And it's likely that we will never see that kind of domination again. Johnson retiring is a very big deal and the fact that the Porsche race coverage of this consisted of him passing the torch to Chase Elliott and then a few minute interview with this family is pretty disrespectful.

This moment should have been covered by NBC. Shame on them for treating his retirement like any random driver

Jimmie Johnson Started A Film Production Company Named After His Dog​

The project Johnson has been working on is a six-episode series about his last season in NASCAR. It’s called “One Final Time,” as per Variety.

Back
Top Bottom