Jimmie Johnson test positive for Covid-19

Wait really?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes Want to know the reason USA has so many cases and deaths from the virus?
To many people think it doesn't apply to them. Nascar is doing what they can to have racing and be careful and this spoiled brat breaks the rules. If I am in charge, he doesn't race the rest of this season.

There's little consensus on the level of long term damage being caused.
So the heck with being careful, after all your going to die some day from something.
Go talk to people who are fighting every day just to breath. Consensus is BS from people that can't prove anything.

So the heck with being careful, after all your going to die some day from something.
Go talk to people who are fighting every day just to breath. Consensus is BS from people that can't prove anything.
That's your choice if you want to run that way. At your age I would advise against it. I sure wouldn't at my age.

There is little consensus on the level. There is burgeoning consensus that long term damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys and liver exists.
Kinda hard to believe that myself whith a healthy adult. There hasn't been time to study the long term affects, who it affects, their physical condition, age etc. Not saying it isn't happening because it could. Some who are close to the end stages of life who already have serious physical problems could have partial shutdowns of vital organs after survival of the virus.

I'm really struggling to see college football working out. How do you contain 100+ kids on 130 teams?
You don't. College kids are idiots these days.

This has been driving me nuts during this whole thing. Why isn't there a massive media campaign talking about how to strengthen people's immune system. All we hear is how to avoid the virus but no talk about what you can do to strengthen your bodies ability to fight it. Having chips, pasta, soda, and cake for every meal is not conducive to a healthy immune system.
Jimmie should be held up as an example of how to prepare your body for battle with any virus or disease. Instead, all we hear is wear a mask, social distance, or stay home.
You're telling me lol. But sometimes, it just isn't enough. Two summers ago I evidently contracted the Epstein-Barr virus (mono virus). I've always been relatively healthy, have eaten healthy, and was athlete in college. I presented with virtually no viral symptoms other than a low fever.

However, my immune system decided to betray me and attack my nervous system instead of the virus. This resulted in respiratory failure, and a med flight into Boston from the hospital I was at, leaving me hospitalized, paralyzed and on a ventilator for a couple months with a rare case of Guillain-Barré syndrome.

I recovered and I am at full strength, But the only reason I found out that I had a virus was because I went to the emergency room due to my neurological symptoms. (Numb mouth double vision).

I take care of myself and my mind is very healthy, but sometimes, as Kevin Harvick said, "things happen".

Kids that need one on one instruction.

My younger son is one of these. Heck, my older son is too. There is no way that sporadic video calls with his teacher were replacing in-class instruction. It was a joke, frankly. I fear for what the fall holds with schooling.

This is why the situation needed to be taken very seriously from February / March forward, with a robust and centralized nationwide response. Countries that have done this are in a true recovery stage. The U.S. managed the worst of both worlds. Inconsistent and lethargic partial shutdowns that caused tremendous economic and social harm, but didn't begin to contain the spread of the virus.

Much of what is being posted in these last two pages is still pure denialism, which is the real cause of the impossible predicament we're now facing. If everyone would have "overreacted" from the start, our outlook would more like Germany, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, and so on.

You're telling me lol. But sometimes, it just isn't enough. Two summers ago I evidently contracted the Epstein-Barr virus (mono virus). I've always been relatively healthy, have eaten healthy, and was athlete in college. I presented with virtually no viral symptoms other than a low fever.

However, my immune system decided to betray me and attack my nervous system instead of the virus. This resulted in respiratory failure, and a med flight into Boston from the hospital I was at, leaving me hospitalized, paralyzed and on a ventilator for a couple months with a rare case of Guillain-Barré syndrome.

I recovered and I am at full strength, But the only reason I found out that I had a virus was because I went to the emergency room due to my neurological symptoms. (Numb mouth double vision).

I take care of myself and my mind is very healthy, but sometimes, as Kevin Harvick said, "things happen".

Yikes, glad you made it through to full strength.

If everyone would have "overreacted" from the start, our outlook would more like Germany, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, and so on.
Comparing the US situation to nations that have, at most, 25% the population that the US has?

Comparing the US situation to nations that have, at most, 25% the population that the US has?

Yes. The dynamics don't change so radically with scale as to make that a viable excuse for the mismanaged and inept American response. There are many other countries that could be cited, those were the few that came quickly to mind. A few European nations (all smaller than us, of course) were hit harder initially. All have shown more ability to bend their case and death curves more substantially downward.

Is there a suitable comparison for you, since most nations are considerably smaller and there are a couple that are radically larger? If there is a nation closer to our size that will fare even worse, it is probably Brazil. And sure enough, look at their leadership and its extreme denial that the threat was real.

I'm not going to bat this around further here and contribute more to the Podium-ization of the thread, but I'll read your response with interest.

Last edited:
Perhaps there is a lesson here for governors and the CDC. It is easy to visualize Americans submitting to this:

Oh, there might be a few Deplorables in rural areas who object to the collar -- for awhile, anyway. But they will have to submit eventually.

It takes no effort to predict the cultural stereotype that will submit quickest and most easily to the collar.
Rather than call it an "Elizabethan collar," I like to think of the "Collar of Obedience" of Star Trek fame. Recall the episode with thralls, providers, and quatloos. How prescient that show managed to be!

Yes. The dynamics don't change so radically with scale as to make that a viable excuse for the mismanaged and inept American response. There are many other countries that could be cited, those were the few that came quickly to mind. A few European nations (all smaller than us, of course) were hit harder initially. All have shown more ability to bend their case and death curves more substantially downward.

Is there a suitable comparison for you, since most nations are considerably smaller and there are a couple that are radically larger? If there is a nation closer to our size that will fare even worse, it is probably Brazil. And sure enough, look at their leadership and its extreme denial that the threat was real.

I'm not going to bat this around further here and contribute more to the Podium-ization of the thread, but I'll read your response with interest.
In short, there isn’t one. There is no other nation on the planet with such a large population, vast cultural diversity with federalism policies that includes major social and economic freedoms.

Since the onset of the virus in February and March, the US has been gifting testing kits and ventilators to nations across the globe between latin america to asia, along with having manufacturing enough ventilators and supplies for our own people. All of this while trying to collect data from China when they were unwilling to give it. By February, community spread in the US began. At that time, thanks to China for not preventing their own community spread and not warning the globe early enough, the CDC was very uneducated on how contagious the virus was and how severe it could be to select populations.

Kicking back to federalism, look at New York and New Jersey. They alone are responsible for 35% of all US deaths recorded from COVID-19 (which the way deaths are counted is incredibly skewed). NY and NJ deaths combined ranks 3rd on number of deaths globally. What did those two states not get “right”? They account for 48,000 deaths while the next two states on the list account for 15,500.

Looking at their errors is key in looking at the US’s errors as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom