Jimmie Johnson test positive for Covid-19

The only thing I would say is that if all the safety measures (social distancing, masks etc) actually WORK, then nobody in NASCAR has anything to worry about, (As least as far as catching it on the job) right?
That's what I keep saying
Even if a test is 99% correct. They test a million people and 10,000 tests will be wrong and show false positives or negatives. Personally I don't believe any test they have comes close to being that accurate.
I'm hopeful NASCAR will be able to complete its 2020 season in some manner.

Not testing participants and support personnel will bite them in the ass ... it's just a matter of time.

The news reported this morning with big eyes that our state's hospitals were 95% full of Covid patients. The Governor yesterday evening and the State Department of Health's chart says different. The bottom dark blue line is a weeks worth of ICU capacity. Your state may vary.

1594407795841.png

Is Tulsa on the revised NASCAR schedule?
Oh I understand very well that anyone who has a differing opinion with or without data is portrayed as dumb, stupid, clueless and their views have to be suppressed by some of the self appointed experts. But it doesn't bother me in the least, I am used to hysterical people. :biggrin:

Why are all other professional and collegiate sports testing participants?

I would rather see NASCAR exercise an abundance of caution.

Meanwhile, Disney World is re-opening in Florida and the mayor of Atlanta wants to lock her city down again. Differing opinions about how to cope.

The "pandemic" is a crock of S. The death rate is miniscule and all you do closing things down is delay the inevitable. Sorry, but life happens and people die of things. I do agree with older and ill people staying in and other people should be helping those people out.

Why are all other professional and collegiate sports testing participants?

Visibility and Liability while having deep enough pockets to survive. Optics and Fear. Outside sport in a car vs Indoor/Outdoor sport with bodily interaction.

I can't entirely disagree. On one hand, I understand that NASCAR has done a good job of keeping cove it out of the sport. they've made a lot of efforts as the first sport to return to competition with social distancing guidelines. And up until Jimmie Johnson, things have gone successfully. No one in the sport has presented with any viral symptoms, thus there has been no need to to test anyone. So on one hand, you can say that Jimmie's case was a unique circumstance, an exception, and it doesn't reflect the efforts NASCAR has made to prevent the virus from presenting itself in the sport.

However, the fact of the matter which is the point you are trying to get at here, is that Jimmie still tested positive. And you are right. They didn't keep it out of the sport. I don't think this reflects too badly on NASCAR though. I think it just calls for new precautions. If Jimmie never chose to get tested because of his wife, you are right, it would have never been known by anyone. And Jimmie could have spread the virus.

To piggyback off of your point, which I agree with, there are so many variables that NASCAR can't account for. It's a highly contagious virus and the chances are, SOMEONE in the sport was bound to contact it.

I think they safest thing to do is for the drivers and teams to get tested every week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You have the asymptomatic stuff which would require testing to keep the thing from circulating.

NASCAR will not test drivers and teams weekly because they don't want the results.

Overall, I do agree that NASCAR has done a good job, but their work cannot be compared to other sports that are actually trying to dig to find the virus. F1 has done a better and more courageous job IMO.

Xfinity race last night showed they can't enforce social distancing.
I think Harrison could be unemployed for the rest of the season.

One thing that's funny to me is how many people just assume Jimmie was false positive. Do people realize how important an immune system is? If you take care of your body your body will take care of you. Jimmie eats right and exercises like crazy. That is going to boost your immune system. He doesn't eat donuts and play on the computer all day.

One thing that's funny to me is how many people just assume Jimmie was false positive. Do people realize how important an immune system is? If you take care of your body your body will take care of you. Jimmie eats right and exercises like crazy. That is going to boost your immune system. He doesn't eat donuts and play on the computer all day.
Vast majority of the Nascar personnel are in great shape, and in the younger age groups that are at low risk. Ya don't see any of the older car owners hanging around

Vast majority of the Nascar personnel are in great shape, and in the younger age groups that are at low risk. Ya don't see any of the older car owners hanging around
It's been hard to obtain the average death age stats for some reason, but stats I saw earlier suggested it is right around the average life expectancy of an American.

It's been hard to obtain the average death age stats for some reason, but stats I saw earlier suggested it is right around the average life expectancy of an American.
I don't understand what you are saying, but this flu attacks the older population. The average age expectancy in the US is something like 76, 78 years old. As you can see that is where the vast majority of fatalities are occurring below in the chart with an average age of 75.2 years. Hardly any in the under 50 group and who knows if they had other health problems or not. In some states like Texas they have the ages broken down more. The 85 and older and the 75 to 85 group combined are the largest fatality group. I would guess that they have more than Covid as a cause of death at those ages.

1594484899882.png

I don't understand what you are saying, but this flu attacks the older population. The average age expectancy in the US is something like 76, 78 years old. As you can see that is where the vast majority of fatalities are occurring below in the chart with an average age of 75.2 years. Hardly any in the under 50 group and who knows if they had other health problems or not. In some states like Texas they have the ages broken down more. The 85 and older and the 75 to 85 group combined are the largest fatality group. I would guess that they have more than Covid as a cause of death at those ages.

View attachment 47922
I'm saying the average age of someone dying from coronavirus is right around the average life expectancy for an American.....

Some context would be helpful.

Does the chart have a date? Are those figures scaled by population?

I'm saying the average age of someone dying from coronavirus is right around the average life expectancy for an American.....
yeah, any flu is tough on the older population. One good thing is that the Covid isn't as strong as some other strains were on the younger population. if you take the highest testing group above, the 18-35 group, it comes out to around .08 mortality. It's 11% on the over 65 group.

Some context would be helpful.

Does the chart have a date? Are those figures scaled by population?
It's data from the Oklahoma Departmant of Health website. Maybe you can find some data from your area put out by reliable resources. I put a link above from the CDC website, I noticed there that the Northwest US is doing well compared to some other areas.

This is how 4% of the world’s population generates 25% of Covid infections and deaths worldwide.

Shameful.
The first town in Oklahoma to mandate masks is the little town of Norman Oklahoma, home of the Oklahoma Sooners. The second town after that is the even smaller town of Stillwater Oklahoma, home of the OSU cowboys. Political? Football? Covid? Shameful?

^^ For some reason, in spite of you posting that, the numbers haven’t changed.

Nor will they in the absence of a coordinated federal response. A lot of people follow examples set by leaders. How unfortunate for them.

They choose to not attempt to breathe with their heads in the sand.
They are going to be spitting in each others faces? :laugh: Maybe have no contact flag football, and a game of horse for basketball. Oh they will figure out a way no matter how ludicrous. We're going to have Oklahoma football around here.

It's data from the Oklahoma Departmant of Health website. Maybe you can find some data from your area put out by reliable resources. I put a link above from the CDC website, I noticed there that the Northwest US is doing well compared to some other areas.

We are? Talk is that we may be scaling back to Phase 2 again because the damn thing is so out of control. Whatevs. I will keep checking back here to see how good we are doing.

^^ For some reason, in spite of you posting that, the numbers haven’t changed.

Nor will they in the absence of a coordinated federal response. A lot of people follow examples set by leaders. How unfortunate for them.

I could be wrong, but it's that coordinated response that has other parts of this world in better shape than us. Maybe those places are where Oklahoma will be playing their football games?

Bottom line in all of this is that NASCAR is not doing as well as they would like to believe. They are likely consistent with the numbers from the scientists--not the politicians or media--and those scientists think scientifically so they don't feel obligated to be perfect because scientists conduct experiments and sometimes those experiments go wrong, and the scientists just explain that in their abstracts. They don't know or care that Oklahoma wants to play football.....but, if you don't test, you don't know.

Bottom line in all of this is that NASCAR is not doing as well as they would like to believe. They are likely consistent with the numbers from the scientists--not the politicians or media--and those scientists think scientifically so they don't feel obligated to be perfect because scientists conduct experiments and sometimes those experiments go wrong, and the scientists just explain that in their abstracts. They don't know or care that Oklahoma wants to play football.....but, if you don't test, you don't know.
I think that is many people's problems..they spend too much time believing what they hear on TV instead of getting off their asses and looking at more accurate data without all of the drama.

"Absolutely, and I think it is the right first step," Gov. Stitt agreed with the modified summer collegiate Texas League play in Tulsa. "Again, we've been open since June 1, so I think churches are doing the right thing and little league baseball too. Remember, when the government tries to fix something they end up breaking three other things. If you look at our schools being shut down, restaurants, unemployment going up, and the suicide rate going up you have all other things going on. Actually DHS, my DHS director, the department of human services, the reports of abuse have gone down by 40 percent. When you look at that the reason is that most of the reports come in from teachers, coaches, and restaurants, and so their are other things happening in our state and our country right now because we are trying to fix one thing."

I think that is many people's problems..they spend too much time believing what they hear on TV instead of getting off their asses and looking at more accurate data without all of the drama.

"Absolutely, and I think it is the right first step," Gov. Stitt agreed with the modified summer collegiate Texas League play in Tulsa. "Again, we've been open since June 1, so I think churches are doing the right thing and little league baseball too. Remember, when the government tries to fix something they end up breaking three other things. If you look at our schools being shut down, restaurants, unemployment going up, and the suicide rate going up you have all other things going on. Actually DHS, my DHS director, the department of human services, the reports of abuse have gone down by 40 percent. When you look at that the reason is that most of the reports come in from teachers, coaches, and restaurants, and so their are other things happening in our state and our country right now because we are trying to fix one thing."
That's the thing. If you dare bring up any of these points, you just want old people to die. Look at the negative affects this is having on at risk kids. Kids that need one on one instruction. Kids without internet. Kids from broken homes. Latchkey kids. Women in domestic violence relationships. But per usual everything has to be black and white.

The pandemic either has to be the worst thing ever or nothing to worry about at all because that's where we are in America. Everything is political. Critical thinking left the building a long time ago.

Our Governor held a presser last week with a Mariners mask on. When asked how the M's could be practicing in a Phase 2 community, he had no answer. Our politicians are crummy scientists, and not much better at politicking. Maybe that is why our beautiful country is struggling with this?

Back
Top Bottom