Johali's rate the Cup race --- Bristol dirt

10 - for NASCAR having the guts to even try this. It had some great moments & a wild finish.

race had some entertaining moments and the finished saved it some but this race is too gimmicky to me to be a points paying race

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I was all aboard giving Bristol dirt the Old Yeller treatment after last night's Truck race. Tonight showed it can put on a great show but I would prefer a dedicated dirt track for Cup. If the experiment continues, save it for the all-star races and make it a traveling temporary dirt circus

5...would have been a 3, but bonus point for going caution free at the end and another point for getting the entire race in tonight. Was just hard to get into the flow of the race.

Last 100 laps bumped it up a few numbers. For the record I’d be fine and would rather watch concrete bristol. It’s actually a pretty good race

7. But take the thing to Eldora, that place is built for this. Quit playing games

4. I’m sorry I just can’t get into a dirt race at Bristol. I don’t even think I can get into a dirt race at the Cup level. I’ve always watched WoO to get my dirt fix, and I’ve never once wondered “Man I’d love to see Cup do this.” I just don’t care for this...give me back an OG Food City 500. Onto Dega

20 gazillion! I love dirt!

4. I’m sorry I just can’t get into a dirt race at Bristol. I don’t even think I can get into a dirt race at the Cup level. I’ve always watched WoO to get my dirt fix, and I’ve never once wondered “Man I’d love to see Cup do this.” I just don’t care for this...give me back an OG Food City 500. Onto Dega

Same, love me some dirt racing but I never sat back and said hell, “give me the Cup series on dirt!”

there are just so many different ways to see a great show on dirt which happen around the country

6.5, not awful. Third stage was exciting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I will give it a solid 9. I love watching stock cars bumping and banging on dirt. I think every year it will only get better, and I would love to attend the next one.

Okay, I confess to going to bed at the 35-to-go caution / red, so I didn't see the whole race. I understand my rating won't count.

I don't think it was as good as the Truck race the night before. That race really had my mouth watering for the Cup event. When I wondered what the difference was, I was told the unpredictability of the surface is the nature of dirt track racing.

It was better than last year's Cup race. At least this time I could see what was going on (when Fox wasn't using the in-car cameras). But there was a lot of unnecessary drama that I though distracted from the race. There's still the whole 'blocked grille' problem. There was the nonsense with the running order after the second stage break. There's still the non-competitive pit work; I like seeing the crews do their thing.

6.5 I don't regard it as better than a regular paved race would have been and would prefer they not do it again. But we all know the key factors are, were more people watching and did it make more money?

I'll admit I didn't think it was bad, and actually way better than last year. The early caution and the weather tried to make a mess of it all but as a whole the actual racing was good. Plenty of battles for the lead, and long ones at that.

With that said I still just don't think NASCAR needs a dirt event. The field seems split on who actually likes it, and if they like the idea some don't like the execution (i.e. Larson). I'd say if they want to do dirt, maybe do it every few years somewhere to allow it to retain its newness. BUT, if they insist on keeping it yearly, can we please just give Bristol their 2 concrete dates?

I'll admit I didn't think it was bad, and actually way better than last year. The early caution and the weather tried to make a mess of it all but as a whole the actual racing was good. Plenty of battles for the lead, and long ones at that.

With that said I still just don't think NASCAR needs a dirt event. The field seems split on who actually likes it, and if they like the idea some don't like the execution (i.e. Larson). I'd say if they want to do dirt, maybe do it every few years somewhere to allow it to retain its newness. BUT, if they insist on keeping it yearly, can we please just give Bristol their 2 concrete dates?
Agree 100%. I liked that the dirt guys asserted themselves until Briscoe Briscoed. Interesting to me to watch their technique....and to learn about this stuff....but I'm good now. Give me my concrete back please. I also feel like these cars are more sophisticated than ever. That just doesn't translate to dirt IMO.

8.... great ending, not about who won, but the Briscoe chasing Reddick drama. Believe Chase got a tad too aggressive on his dive in an attempt to not to move Reddick and that was his undoing.
The cars themselves need more suspension travel for dirt. Believe the trucks worked better.

8. I love dirt track racing and watching the moves everyone made. However, the suggestion they use dirt for the all-star, or some other race not awarding points, makes a lot of sense. Tossing in a points paying race in an entirely different format used one time is too gimmicky and smells like a 1948 P.T. Barnum carnival side show.

Back
Top Bottom