Just realized this......manufactures

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by 28car, May 4, 2019.

1. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

I'm assuming that's sponsorship dollars? How is this a bad thing?

2. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

nobody said it was..what was said was that Toyota wasn't outspending everybody.

3. Revman

Revman God bless America.

...and if I read that outdated source correctly, Chevy spends 7.3 times average? With any reasonable Stand Error of Measurement (SEM), you could conclude that Toyota spends as much as Chevy....and if you are going to criticize Toyota for their spending, then you would have to criticize the manufacturer who won 13 Manufacturer Championships in a row I would think. Ford spent nothing in 2017, and then dominated in 2018...would be interesting to see an actual current source to see how much more they spent to get there.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  4. Revman

Whoa wait, those are sponsorship dollars? The context of the conversation was investment in R&D, etc. Talk about investment!

2 Sweet likes this.
  5. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

I assumed the conversation was referring to factory support. Resources spent on their teams. Maybe they have a higher budget than Chevrolet and Ford, but I doubt that information would ever be public.

6. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

With deals at the sanctioning body, team and track levels, Toyota Motor North America Inc. was the biggest spender in NASCAR during the 2016 season. The company spent 7.6 times more on the sport than the average of all NASCAR sponsors.

7. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

you do sound like a used car dealer. I'll give ya that. :D

Revman likes this.
  8. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

I'm a diehard Chevrolet fanboy. I'm not a Toyota defender. That being said, I try to be fair. Those numbers seem like hogwash in the context of our conversation. Nobody knows how much support the manufacturers spend on resources for their respective teams. I think the "team" reference is nothing more than sponsorship/advertising.

9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

you think whatever ya want, better yet find some different figures.

10. Revman

Yeah, and I think the conversation was at the team level so in order to have a point (in 2016 anyway), you would have to sort out the sanctioning body and track level spending. Biggest spender could easily be changed to biggest investor when you think about it....and again, Chevy right there with Toyota, but you are good with that, right?

11. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

All I know is Chevrolet and Ford have help sustain NASCAR from day one. They will always be held in high regard to me. If Toyota is spending that much on 5 cars I would say that is a lot of money per car. Chevrolet and Ford are everyman race cars not just for the elite.

Dr_B_UNC likes this.
  12. Revman

LOL. Truth. :D

13. mack

mack Team Owner

Why so angry? I'm ok with Toyota outspending everyone else. They'll spend whatever it takes to win, because they can. Chevy and Ford can't. Joe Gibbs can't spend out of pocket like Haas, Penske and Hendrick. But Toyota can spend whatever through him. What's to stop them? Penske, Haas and Hendrick can't out spend Toyota. So Toyota is sitting pretty in my opinion. And what's even neater, they take all those resources and their boy Kyle and go whoop up on the minor leagues. So much to boast about!!!

14. Revman

Toyota came in and spent when Chevy and Ford financially shot. You give no props for that? You should be thankful. The founding fathers were ready to run the sport into the ground.

15. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

16. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

The fact that Lowes is far ahead of Ford proves my point. The figures are for sponsorship, nothing more.

I think it's pretty obvious that Toyota spends much more per car than Ford/Chevy. We don't need a graph to know that.

17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

so Lowes wasn't sponsoring Johnson and it wasn't Lowes motor speedway?

18. Revman

How is that obvious?

19. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Huh?

Are you telling me Lowes spent more to sponsor the 48 than Ford spent on all their teams, plus sponsorship? That's ridiculous.

Also, Lowes hasn't owned the naming rights to Charlotte in years.

20. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

I was more excited when Dodge came back.The demise of the other manufacturers is definitely what is really sad.

Revman likes this.
  21. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

look bud, you are the one who said it was crap, (it wasn't) Said Toyota wasn't outspending everybody (they did) and like I said some Toyota fans do more harm than good.

22. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

They only have 5 cars. JGR + LFR. Ford and Chevrolet resources are spread pretty thin across all their teams. Obviously some are higher on the pecking order than others, but there's no doubt Gibbs is getting anything and everything they need from TRD. That's not a problem IMO, but they aren't just the top team with Toyota, they are THE team.

LewTheShoe and gnomesayin like this.
  23. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I'm sure he will come up with a perfectly logical answer to that one too. :D

24. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

They could at least throw me a few bucks for representing them on this forum. 7.7 times the average ain’t gonna kill ‘em. :D

StandOnIt likes this.
  25. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

I could be wrong, but it seems like common sense to me. GM has Hendrick, Ganassi, RCR, and others. Ford has Penske, SHR, Roush, and others. Toyota has JGR.....and one Leavine car.

I'm sure all three manufacturers have racing budgets set by the corporate bean counters. At this point, Toyota can afford to spend more per team. It is what it is.

26. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

It's like I said way back when in this B.S. thread. The Yotas are a thinly veiled factory team pouring their money into only 4 cars..sorry Guido, you guys are getting table scraps at best. Hopefully the other manufacturers don't follow suit. Many who follow the sport aren't jumping up and down about it. It would be easier and cheaper for the others to do the same thing and have a 12 car field.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  27. Revman

A couple of others have recognized the context of the conversation. I have hope for you. Cryptic Toyota comment remains cryptic. Whatevs...bud.

2 Sweet likes this.
  28. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Good point. This is another reason why NASCAR would benefit from another manufacturer joining.

When this sport was really taking off in the 80s and 90s, we only had Ford and GM. Crazy how much times have changed.

29. Revman

I mean, you just can't conclude that IMO.

30. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Fair enough. There's really no way to know for sure. Either way, it doesn't bother me. Toyota has proven to be good for the sport.

Revman and Charlie Spencer like this.
  31. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner

FWIW, GM was split into Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, and Buick at that time, so at least there were 5 different makes competing for a while. Buick left Cup at the end of the ‘91 season (though they stayed in BGN for another couple years after that), Olds bolted after the ‘92 season, and Pontiac hung around until 2003.

gnomesayin, 2 Sweet and StandOnIt like this.
  32. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Money goes faster than no money.

33. mack

mack Team Owner

Yep, and under the GM banner we had Chevy, Pontiac, Olds and Buick. And all of those makes had a distinctive look. I miss those days. I recall Junior bolting Chevy at the end of 1988. He was too far down on the totem pole. The #3 was top dog with Hendrick right on their heels. Labonte won a time or two for him in 89 in the Bud Thunderbird.

ToyYoda and 2 Sweet like this.
  34. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Like I said..."times change" :D

ToyYoda likes this.
  35. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Toyota also apparently spends some of their money on drivers.

36. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

There are a lot of regionalists up in here.

Globalism is good for professional auto racing.

37. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Ir looks like TRD has more to spend on fewer cars.

If I had a Toyota and you had one, the above fact would make us faster. This is essentially the whole idea behind auto racing, always has been and quite likely always will be ... unless someone figures out how to cost-cap a large group of liars and cheaters.

38. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

I'm still waiting on an answer to how much money is being spent on average. A link to the original source would be even better.

39. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

What context? The original poster tossed this out and hasn't been seen since; his post is the cryptic comment. Everything since has been based entirely on assumptions, mostly the one you made in the fourth post.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  40. 28car

28car Team Owner

I was out fishing all day yesterday on Lake Erie (did not take phone)

With how the Toyota‘s are running well and winning
    I have heard that Toyota is ruining the sport and not just from folks on this board
    For some reason
    I was thinking there would be more Toyota’s than any other manufacture starting each race

Only 5 Toyota’s surprised me

Turtle84 and Charlie Spencer like this.