Kat's Kitchen and Korner

Fall-Off-The-Bone Pork Back Ribs (Pic Heavy)

I use a dry rub consisting of brown sugar, garlic powder, black & white pepper, cumin, cinnamon, onion powder, Ancho chili powder, paprika, mustard seed and salt.

Generously rub dry baby back rack with spice rub and then wrap tightly in three layers of aluminum foil and bake for two hours at 250 degrees.

Meanwhile, soak hickory chips in water and prepare charcoal grille. I use an old-school round Weber.

Once the coals are ready, separate them off the either side to create an indirect cooking are for the rack.

Drain the hickory chips and place a handful on each pile of coals…

Remove your rib rack from the foil and slather with your favorite BBQ sauce. For pork, I like a blend of Chris’& Pitt’s Original and Tony Roma’s Original.

Once coated, set your rib rack on the grille between the coals and put on the lid. (Neighbors usually flip out about this time and wonder where the smell is coming from.)

Smoke for 12 minutes, flip the rack, apply BBQ sauce to the underside and cover. Cook for another 8 minutes.

Flip back over, recoat with sauce and remove from the BBQ. Tent ribs in foil to rest for 15 minutes.

Potatoes are red, purple and gold fingerlings, mashed with butter, milk and a small amount of a three cheese blend. Veggies are steamed haricot vert and French-cut green beans.

I wondered where this disappeared to.

I wondered where this disappeared to.
I am going to take a few days to read back thru the recipes and copy some of 'em...... I hope to post some that I have garnered over the years from folks ..... I am not one to post or try recipes that require a lot of work and a lot of ingredients that are hard to find..... Quick and easy is good...

I am going to take a few days to read back thru the recipes and copy some of 'em...... I hope to post some that I have garnered over the years from folks ..... I am not one to post or try recipes that require a lot of work and a lot of ingredients that are hard to find..... Quick and easy is good...

Two pages and I already have 1/2 dozen recipes to try. Here is a contribution. I make this casserole at least once a year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't follow the exact measurements in the recipe.

BROCCOLI WITH STUFFING

2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli spears. ( I use 2 heads fresh broccoli instead and only use the florets)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese ( I use as much as is necessary to sprinkle over casserole)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (I use whatever size a can of soup is)
½ cup of mayonnaise
½ cup finely chopped onion
¾ cup herb seasoned stuffing mix (I use more than that because I'm cooking a larger dish)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Ÿ Cook broccoli according to package directions, drain *be careful not to over cook
Ÿ Arrange broccoli in a lightly greased 11 x 7 x 1 ½ inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. * I use a 12x9 dish whatever
Ÿ Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients; spread over cheese
Ÿ Combine stuffing mix and butter; sprinkle over casserole
Ÿ Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated

Two pages and I already have 1/2 dozen recipes to try. Here is a contribution. I make this casserole at least once a year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't follow the exact measurements in the recipe.

BROCCOLI WITH STUFFING

2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli spears. ( I use 2 heads fresh broccoli instead and only use the florets)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese ( I use as much as is necessary to sprinkle over casserole)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (I use whatever size a can of soup is)
½ cup of mayonnaise
½ cup finely chopped onion
¾ cup herb seasoned stuffing mix (I use more than that because I'm cooking a larger dish)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Ÿ Cook broccoli according to package directions, drain *be careful not to over cook
Ÿ Arrange broccoli in a lightly greased 11 x 7 x 1 ½ inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. * I use a 12x9 dish whatever
Ÿ Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients; spread over cheese
Ÿ Combine stuffing mix and butter; sprinkle over casserole
Ÿ Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated
I copied that one Pat...... my family doesn't really care for broccoli but I love it.... With the cheese and stuffing maybe they will try it....... ;)

Reactions: Pat
I hope that you all will add to the recipe thread. I have tried alot of the recipes, some were good and some not so good. LOL It is fun.
Welcome to the forum and to the recipe thread. :)

Reactions: Pat
Scout’s Chex Mix
Ingredients

Directions
1. In a small bowel melt the butter in the microwave
(cut the butter in smaller chunks to aid melting); about 45 seconds should melt the butter.
2. Add the Worcestershire Sauce and salts.
3. Put the cashews in a one gallon zip lock plastic bag.
4. Pour the butter mix into the plastic bag.
5. Add cereal to the bag.
6. Seal the plastic bag and tumble the mixture in the bag to get an even coating.
7. Put the mixture in a microwave bowl.
8. Heat on high for 2 minutes.
9. Transfer the mix to another microwave bowl
(this breaks up the mixture and recoats the pieces).
10. Heat on high for 2 minutes.
11. Transfer the mix back to the first microwave bowl.
12. Heat on high for 1 minute.
13. Place the mixture on some paper towels to drain any excessive butter.

That bit put me off :D

I hope that you all will add to the recipe thread. I have tried alot of the recipes, some were good and some not so good. LOL It is fun.
Welcome to the forum and to the recipe thread. :)

Thank you. You posted a lot of the recipes I would like to try. The ones with boneles chicken breasts I know I will try.

WTF is a broccoli spear?
:XXROFL::XXROFL:
I thought asparagus was the only spears.

asparagus-spears1.jpg

I'm still laughing so hard that i have tears in my eyes.

I like to peel and eat the fresh stalks raw with a little salt and pepper.

I like the florets blanched then add a little salt and butter. I always take a few out of the pot for me when I make the casserole.

Broccoli was never served at our house. And cauliflower was yellow and came in a jar with the pickled onions.
Yeah but you live in the frozen wastelands of the far north. Hard to grow vegetables in the frozen earth. :D

Apricot Nectar Cake -- preheat oven to 350°
Grease tube pan, or a bundt pan.

1 pkg. lemon cake mix --- or yellow cake mix -- I prefer lemon
3/4 cup vegetable oil
6 oz. of apricot nectar --- I buy a 12 oz. can and freeze the rest -- may be hard to find.
4 eggs -- separated --- save the whites
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 pkg. lemon or orange jello -- I prefer the orange

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix at low speed for 5 minutes. Beat egg
whites until stiff, then fold into mixture.
Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from pan while hot and frost.

Frosting --- mix lemon juice and powdered sugar. I make mine thick, because
the hot cake will cause it to run a little.

Apricot Nectar Cake -- preheat oven to 350°
Grease tube pan, or a bundt pan.

1 pkg. lemon cake mix --- or yellow cake mix -- I prefer lemon
3/4 cup vegetable oil
6 oz. of apricot nectar --- I buy a 12 oz. can and freeze the rest -- may be hard to find.
4 eggs -- separated --- save the whites
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 pkg. lemon or orange jello -- I prefer the orange

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix at low speed for 5 minutes. Beat egg
whites until stiff, then fold into mixture.
Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from pan while hot and frost.

Frosting --- mix lemon juice and powdered sugar. I make mine thick, because
the hot cake will cause it to run a little.

I am definately trying this cake.

Have a headache? Chug a bottle of Gatorade or other similar energy drink and eat an apple. I learned this trick from my gym instructor in grade school and it is extremely effective...headache is completely gone within 20 minutes.
Have bad breath? Use a mixture of equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide to rinse your mouth. Alcohol-based products such as Listerine only cure bad breath in the short run and cause bad breath in the long run.
Have athlete's foot? Wash your feet with vodka and olive oil daily until symptoms subside.
Feeling depressed? Eat a hot pepper (habanero or hotter) to improve your mood. The main ingredient (capsaicin) in these peppers causes your brain to release endorphins (happy chemicals). Plus it's very healthy!
Don't want to spend a fortune on laundry detergent? Use 1 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of Borax, 1/4 cup of baking powder, and 1/8 cup of hydrogen peroxide with a full load of laundry (less amounts for smaller loads). Clothes will also smell fresher.
Don't want to spend a fortune on general household cleaners while also being environmentally-friendly? Use equal parts water and peroxide in a spray bottle. You can also add tinctures of your favorite scent such as orange, lemon, or pine (my favorite).
Need to fill a bucket with water but it won't fit under the faucet? Use a dustpan (wide side under the faucet with the "handle" hanging over the front edge of the sink, dripping into the bucket below). Much quicker than using small cups to fill the bucket.
Enjoy eating crackers with your chili? Add a handful of Cheez-Its to your favorite recipe for an added crunch and extra flavor. I tried this recently and it tasted amazing.

Have a headache? Chug a bottle of Gatorade or other similar energy drink and eat an apple. I learned this trick from my gym instructor in grade school and it is extremely effective...headache is completely gone within 20 minutes.
Have bad breath? Use a mixture of equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide to rinse your mouth. Alcohol-based products such as Listerine only cure bad breath in the short run and cause bad breath in the long run.
Have athlete's foot? Wash your feet with vodka and olive oil daily until symptoms subside.
Feeling depressed? Eat a hot pepper (habanero or hotter) to improve your mood. The main ingredient (capsaicin) in these peppers causes your brain to release endorphins (happy chemicals). Plus it's very healthy!
Don't want to spend a fortune on laundry detergent? Use 1 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of Borax, 1/4 cup of baking powder, and 1/8 cup of hydrogen peroxide with a full load of laundry (less amounts for smaller loads). Clothes will also smell fresher.
Don't want to spend a fortune on general household cleaners while also being environmentally-friendly? Use equal parts water and peroxide in a spray bottle. You can also add tinctures of your favorite scent such as orange, lemon, or pine (my favorite).
Need to fill a bucket with water but it won't fit under the faucet? Use a dustpan (wide side under the faucet with the "handle" hanging over the front edge of the sink, dripping into the bucket below). Much quicker than using small cups to fill the bucket.
Enjoy eating crackers with your chili? Add a handful of Cheez-Its to your favorite recipe for an added crunch and extra flavor. I tried this recently and it tasted amazing.

Good stuff. I need to remember the deal with filling the bucket.

Crock-pot Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

- 2 lbs ground beef (or soy crumble for vegetarian version)

- 2 green bell peppers, diced ( about 1 cup)

- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained

- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce

- 32 oz of beef broth (or veggie broth for vegetarian)

- 1 cup of water

- 1 small onion, diced

- 2 TBSP brown sugar

- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

- 2 tsp salt

- 1 tsp pepper

- 4 cups of cooked rice ( I love Seed of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice mix)

Directions:

1. Brown and drain grease from the ground beef and place in slow cooker.

2. Add in tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, peppers, onions, garlic, brown sugar, water, salt and pepper to slow cooker. (basically everything but your cooked rice) Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.

3. When about 30 minutes are left , add in your cooked rice, recover and continue cooking until time is up.

Broccoli Cheese Soup for the Crock Pot!!!

1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups milk (I used half and half)
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli

Directions: 1 Saute onion in butter. 2 Combine all ingredients on low in crock-pot for 3-4 hours. Do not add salt.

Just working through posts and personalities, I see where it was
9 years ago today, March 6,2008, that Kat2220 passed. She must of been
something from what I have read of her posts.

Dave Marcis Mac & Cheese (https://racing-forums.com/threads/post-your-experiences-meeting-drivers.58281/ post #9)

Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks of salted butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup (minimum) heavy cream
  • 6 bacon strips
  • 1-2 heads of broccoli (depending on size)
  • Seeds from 1 jalapeno
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 pounds of pasta (I recommend medium shells)
  • 1/4 cup of the following cheeses: Sharp cheddar, Smoked cheddar, White cheddar, Pepperjack, Muenster, Provolone, Colby jack, Monterrey jack, Cream cheese
  • Handful of fresh (preferrably) parmesean cheese
  • 1tbsp smoked black pepper
  • 1tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp red wine (the drier, the better)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • Garlic bread with your homemade marinara dipping sauce
COOKING TIME:
  • Begin by melting the butter in a large pot (should have stove around 80%).
  • Once nearly melted, add the dry ingredients (flour, salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, basil).
  • Stir until fully mixed and butter is completely melted
  • SLOWLY add the milk and heavy cream, stirring constantly
  • Add the lemon juice (this helps prevent the cheese from clumping up), red wine, and jalapeno seeds
  • Gradually add all the cheeses while stirring constantly
  • Add the cooked pasta, steamed (or boiled) broccoli, and bacon (should be cooked in oven and chopped into tiny bits)
  • If it seems to thick, add some more heavy cream. If not thick enough, add more cheese of your choice
  • Add olive oil to a sautee pan and toast the bread crumbs on high heat for about 2 minutes. Add these to the top of your mac & cheese pot
  • Bake in oven at 350 for 10 minutes
  • Bake garlic bread and begin heating up/making marinara sauce at this time
  • Once mac & cheese is finished baking, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
  • Enjoy with a side of garlic bread, marinara dipping sauce, and a glass of red wine.
Not an exact science, but this is as best as I can remember the recipe.

That sounds great...... but.... I can't believe you wrote that whole recipe on Dave Marcis's pocket notebook!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
I didn't write the whole thing...gave him the "important" stuff and he basically knew how to handle it from there.

Back
Top Bottom