Kenseth in the 42 was a mistake

I'm a fan of Kurt Busch but he has a ceiling. It just seems like he's only good for a win or two every year. He's always consistent and he will get more out of equipment than most others but he's never again gonna be a driver that clicks off 3, 4 or 5 or more wins in a season. Those days are behind him. His best chance at that was with SHR. Larson clicked off a few wins but he probably was at his ceiling with Ganassi.

He ran Cup to support everything. That is why I said "if he saved and invested wisely" in my post 7. He obviously won't make the same coin on dirt, but as good as he is on dirt he should be able to make a pretty good living with a fraction of the stress. Plus he is still pretty young so he has plenty of time to return later if he wants to.
I always thought the same thing about Stewart, than he surprised me by doubling down and become a cup owner. Tony made some statements over the years about just being in cup to make money and wanting to get out asap.

I always thought the same thing about Stewart, than he surprised me by doubling down and become a cup owner. Tony made some statements over the years about just being in cup to make money and wanting to get out asap.
I imagine Haas had a lot to do with his extended stay as an owner.

Maybe but Almirola has better sponsor backing than Bowyer & Bowyer is older.
Either one of them are looking awfully expendable right now. I still think either one of them should have been given the boot at SHR instead of Suarez. We're in Year 3 of the Almirola experiment in the 10 and he doesn't really look like he's showing any growth or improvement.

I really don't think Stewart is doing it just for the money, never have. You would have to be about half nuts to own a racetrack, be a Nascar multi car owner, even more so to start your own Sprint car racing series, but Stewart has been a success at doing all of it.

Either one of them are looking awfully expendable right now. I still think either one of them should have been given the boot at SHR instead of Suarez. We're in Year 3 of the Almirola experiment in the 10 and he doesn't really look like he's showing any growth or improvement.
Top 5 drivers in Nascar don't grow on trees. Both are in the top15 and if you study who is in that group there aren't any slackers.

Top 5 drivers in Nascar don't grow on trees. Both are in the top15 and if you study who is in that group there aren't any slackers.
They may not, but these two haven't really been running as well as they should in that equipment. These aren't exactly newcomers that we are talking about.

Nah, it was a fluke...
I think it was a case of nobody else having been in a car for three months, so Matt’s longer inactivity wasn’t initially as much of a disadvantage. Now I think his inexperience with these packages and the lack of practice are part (not all) of the problem.

Back to the thread, yeah he wasn't the move. Probably should have gotten Chastain in that ride to be quite honest with you.

Back to the thread, yeah he wasn't the move. Probably should have gotten Chastain in that ride to be quite honest with you.

Hindsight's 20/20. I get it being the right move in the moment, with Ross trying to win the Xfinity championship. But in retrospect, Matt's washed up, I'm sad to think.

I've been pretty disappointed with the Kenseth return. He's not driving well, and his crew sucks. I thought after his first week back he was going to be solid, but a lot of factors have played into a big under performance from the #42 team. I'll give it another couple races, but they are so bad I almost doubt Matt will get to finish the season out.

I've been pretty disappointed with the Kenseth return. He's not driving well, and his crew sucks. I thought after his first week back he was going to be solid, but a lot of factors have played into a big under performance from the #42 team. I'll give it another couple races, but they are so bad I almost doubt Matt will get to finish the season out.

An unenviable way for a legend to go out.

Obviously I'm a fan but I don't consider Matt a legend.

But those of you that do should talk to DW's fans. Now THAT was no way for a true legend to wind up his career.
It was sad to see, I remember my brother and I laughing at him missing races because we didn’t know....then thanks to the advent of the internet I educated myself real quick on him

I think it was a case of nobody else having been in a car for three months, so Matt’s longer inactivity wasn’t initially as much of a disadvantage. Now I think his inexperience with these packages and the lack of practice are part (not all) of the problem.
Have to agree with you. Everyone should keep in mind that there was more than just a driver change...a couple of people that handled setting up the car in the shop are gone along with the on site race engineer guru. When Kenseth came back to Roush for a partial year, took until Indy for the combination to perk up. Believe the last race of that year would have been more indicative of the performance if Kenseth would have stayed there.

This coming week should be telling. Larson was never a super speedway ace, but it falls into the realm of one of Kenseth's strengths. All things being equal based on equipment, Kenseth has always been competitive on the super speedways....Larson not so much. Kurt does well in these venue's also...but believe the Ganassi is a tad of a step down from the other big teams when it comes to the super speedway....but it will be interesting if Kenseth can run with lead pack.

I don't understand why Ganassi didn't put Chastain in that ride. It was a puzzling move to put Kenseth instead.

I don't understand why Ganassi didn't put Chastain in that ride. It was a puzzling move to put Kenseth instead.

Because Ross, his Xfinity team and sponsor were committed to running for the championship and given the uncertainty from Covid I'd imagine they couldn't guarantee that they could run all races in both series. Not to mention that CGR and their sponsors obviously wanted someone that could run for the Cup championship and since you can only run for one championship a season that kinda put Ross out

Because Ross, his Xfinity team and sponsor were committed to running for the championship and given the uncertainty from Covid I'd imagine they couldn't guarantee that they could run all races in both series. Not to mention that CGR and their sponsors obviously wanted someone that could run for the Cup championship and since you can only run for one championship a season that kinda put Ross out
Thanks for clarifying. I suppose Ross will get that ride next year for sure.

Time to pull the plug....have been a fan since he was a little kid first starting out at Jefferson Speedway....but he is carrying an empty sack to the track.

Who was the better choice? Ross was committed to his Xfinity ride. Matt brings sponsor stability and above average talent

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The above average talent is long gone. Matt is only a seat warmer at best now.
Even Kurt is not getting the job done. Time for CGR to start making moves. I suppose Ross is already penciled in for 2021. I hope they renumber the car.

Not letting drivers practice before the race is the real mistake.
One good thing about the No Practice is it makes the crew chief and engineers step up to the plate. There is no chances for change if they goof up. Personally I think most teams are doing quite good with no practice with Kyle B. being the exception.

But the checks keep arriving on time.

One good thing about the No Practice is it makes the crew chief and engineers step up to the plate. There is no chances for change if they goof up. Personally I think most teams are doing quite good with no practice with Kyle B. being the exception.
There is no upside to not allowing pre-race practice.

He’s getting better results than the 6 year Danica experiment.

1. Suarez lost his sponsorship
2. Suarez wasn't improving.
3. Almirola and Boyer are sponsored and both are solidly in the chase.

I don't think it is that easy to find another driver to plug n play at the cup level who brings talent, solid sponsorship, and is the right fit for the organization like some think it is. It just isn't that simple, this isn't stick n ball with players who basically have no choice where they go or a whole army of backers to please.

If Larson has saved and invested his NASCAR money wisely and with the fact that he is doing what he truly loves doing and is one of the best at it without near the amount of mental stress, makes me think he may not miss racing in NASCAR as much as people thought he would.

I don't think he misses it at all, but his wife has to shotgun cheaper beer now. He should stay where he is.

I don't think he misses it at all, but his wife has to shotgun cheaper beer now. He should stay where he is.
I don't see that being a problem...she is a sprint car girl and she already chugged cheap beer.

Your source, please? Because I haven't heard Larson say that, and I have heard him deny it...
https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/21721/kyle-larsons-love-of-dirt-racing-irks-nascar-fans-again

He said it....he was covering his ass in the quote you provided.
I don't see that being a problem...she is a sprint car girl and she already chugged cheap beer.

Truth. Honestly, it was good to see her happy. She and her kids will suffer for her husband's issues, but they don't deserve it. I would never wish bad things on a man's family.

Back
Top Bottom