Kenseth's take on Darlington return

Nice run for Matt .. experience really showed in stepping into the car with a package complete new to him. I think he's got a chance at a win or two this year. I think the car is fast enough .. he's just got to sharpen his racing chops a bit.

As loose as that car was at times I bet he has some sore arms today. He may not be able to move his arms by Wed. :)

Reactions: sdj
In some ways I think Matt might be more of asset to CGR than most people might think. While Larson was a heck of a talent I think Matt provides a lot more technical observations and suggestions. Between him and Kurt they have real potential to get that program to the next level

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In some ways I think Matt might be more of asset to CGR than most people might think. While Larson was a heck of a talent I think Matt provides a lot more technical observations and suggestions. Between him and Kurt they have real potential to get that program to the next level

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great point. Larson has said he’s not a mechanical whiz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of a cup car for a year and a half, returns in the middle of a NASCAR season which has become totally makeshift because of a nightmare pandemic, first race in a new car, new team and for a new owner, no qualifying and no practice and he scores a top ten. That's not too shabby in my book and is why I've been a fan of his for so many years. I've been overjoyed to see him back in a car.

My only question is why Chip apparently asked Carl Edwards (whom I also like) to return before he asked Matt.

Out of a cup car for a year and a half, returns in the middle of a NASCAR season which has become totally makeshift because of a nightmare pandemic, first race in a new car, new team and for a new owner, no qualifying and no practice and he scores a top ten. That's not too shabby in my book and is why I've been a fan of his for so many years. I've been overjoyed to see him back in a car.

My only question is why Chip apparently asked Carl Edwards (whom I also like) to return before he asked Matt.
Younger man and as good or better.

Matt Kenseth can drive a race car. Damn.

7 years younger, probably thought he had a chance to get another year out of him too

Great performance!

For reference, a guy who has been racing non-stop crashed out on lap 1. :)

I think we have to acknowledge that tenth place was helped by JJ and Shrub's brain dumps. Still, ever 12th would have been respectable.
Kez being dominate two thirds of the race and Blaney being out to lunch, Logano was off, whole bunch of guys who usually run pretty well didn't

Regardless of where he finished, I'm sure the body guys on the 42 are just happy that they're not having to hang a new body after the race
Matt will run good. This also will shed some light on what makes a race car driver.

Having the most talent doesn't make you the best race car driver.

Being the most athletic doesn't make you the best player.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Matt will run good. This also will shed some light on what makes a race car driver.

Having the most talent doesn't make you the best race car driver.

Being the most athletic doesn't make you the best player.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oh I agree, just making more of a statement about the last guy to drive that car, who seemed to struggle with bringing the car home in one piece.

Oh I agree, just making more of a statement about the last guy to drive that car, who seemed to struggle with bringing the car home in one piece.
Yeah I couldn't see Larson coming out of Darlington with the fenders on it either

Yeah I couldn't see Larson coming out of Darlington with the fenders on it either
F527ED02-260D-48A9-B515-95E5A6B506B2.jpeg

Interesting. The #42 finished 2nd at Darlington a year ago, and 3rd at Darlington two years ago. The #1 car driven by Kurt Busch finished 3rd in this race, and 7th in 2019. Jamie Mcmurray finished 9th in 2018 and 10th in 2017. Ganassi cars have performed well at Darlington.

It was a solid run for Kenseth in his first race back. This doesn't mean he is an upgrade at age 48. He will turn in solid and dependable performances, because that is the definition of Matt Kenseth as a driver.

Interesting. The #42 finished 2nd at Darlington a year ago, and 3rd at Darlington two years ago. The #1 car driven by Kurt Busch finished 3rd in this race, and 7th in 2019.

It was a solid run for Kenseth in his first race back. This doesn't mean he is an upgrade at age 48. He will turn in solid and dependable performances, because that is the definition of Matt Kenseth as a driver.
Kenseth got better and better as the race went on. He's a great talent. But 35 year old Kenseth would've contended for the win.

It sounds like NASCAR, the manufactures engineers, and the crew chiefs are doing a pretty good job working together designing a safe fast race car for the drivers. The drivers must love them because I have never heard a driver say please give me a dangerous ill handling race car to drive. :D

I've heard them ask for cars that are a challenge to drive, that lets them use their skills to put themselves ahead of the rest. There's certainly a middle ground between easy-to-drive and your too-far-over-the-edge vehicle description.

I've heard them ask for cars that are a challenge to drive, that lets them use their skills to put themselves ahead of the rest. There's certainly a middle ground between easy-to-drive and your too-far-over-the-edge vehicle description.
That makes sense. Some drivers want a loose car for more speed. Don't forget I'm use to straight line drivers.:)

Last edited:
I bet Stenhouse and Johnson did that last Sun. :)

Stennh won a few Busch races didn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stenhouse is credited with zero laps at Darlington. If a race car at the track doesn't make a lap, were they there? Does that count as "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound moment?

Back
Top Bottom