Kentucky RACE thread

I was young with no open-wheel influence.. Sometimes I wonder where my real allegiance would lie if they could have held it together.. NASCAR is trying to fk me now.
Yeah, there used to be two IndyCar races per year here in Milwaukee, plus Road America later and my parents and family went since the oldern days so we watched every IndyCar race growing up which I'm sure had a big influence on me, plus went to the races in person. We watched NASCAR and NHRA too, but it was never "serious business" like open-wheel was.

I don't give a hoot about how popular it is, all I care about is the racing product and if i can see it. Being less popular means less commercials and more racing to me. I never have been a "me too" and indycar has slowly been getting better racing. What is it 7 different winners in 8 races and they race on various different tracks.
That's fine, but I don't know why you would imply that IndyCar is in any position to influence anything NASCAR does.

These 1.5s will have "exciting" racing next year when NASCAR puts throttle bodies (aka mini restrictor plates) on every track except Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond next year.

They'll be flat-footing them around like Nationwide cars. Bayne did a test at Michigan earlier in the year with one on and he didn't have to lift in the turns.

throttle body just allows seperate fuel / air intake into each individual cylinder. vs ole school carb intake manifold into all.
amt of fuel determined by injector size( sprayer) / ecu / etc. = where restriction could occur.

Reports coming in that Brad sliced his hand on a champaign bottle & is in the infield care center gettin stitched up

Yeah, there used to be two IndyCar races per year here in Milwaukee, plus Road America later and my parents and family went since the oldern days so we watched every IndyCar race growing up which I'm sure had a big influence on me, plus went to the races in person. We watched NASCAR and NHRA too, but it was never "serious business" like open-wheel was.

That's pretty cool you grew up in a true racing household. My family thinks I'm nuts. LOL

That's fine, but I don't know why you would imply that IndyCar is in any position to influence anything NASCAR does.
can't predict the future, but getting a stable TV contract with a network that doesn't think they are an afterthought after little league baseball and who knows. It is competition, and at one time indycar racing was huge as you well know. USAC. anyway

For?
Missed it.
Paraphrasing: "Passing was the most difficult part...so much downforce, the spoilers are huge, you could only pass on the restarts because after five laps you get strung out and once you get in someone's wake it's almost impossible to get by..."

throttle body just allows seperate fuel / air intake into each individual cylinder. vs ole school carb intake manifold into all.
amt of fuel determined by injector size( sprayer) / ecu / etc. = where restriction could occur.
Went back and found the article, it was an actual plate:

At the Goodyear tire test at Michigan earlier this month, Trevor Bayne ran some laps with a restrictor plate on his car.

"They took the power out of the 21 car and his center of the corner speed almost went up 10 miles an hour (from) what an unrestricted engine was running at,” Johnson said.

“I am not sure those eight miles an hour through the center of the corner is going to allow us to run comfortably through the corner side-by-side. Now we have picked up a lot of speed through the corners and are the tires going to hold up? Is the suspension going to hold up? It costs a lot of money to even put a tapered spacer on the car. We are going to go and work to change all the internals to maximize the role that the engine performs. So I sympathize with NASCAR because there isn’t an easy way to go about things.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...estrictor-plates-kevin-harvick-jimmie-johnson

Paraphrasing: "Passing was the most difficult part...so much downforce, the spoilers are huge, you could only pass on the restarts because after five laps you get strung out and once you get in someone's wake it's almost impossible to get by..."
Badmouthing the Nascar product (AKA telling the truth) and they will have none of that.

Went back and found the article, it was an actual plate:

At the Goodyear tire test at Michigan earlier this month, Trevor Bayne ran some laps with a restrictor plate on his car.

"They took the power out of the 21 car and his center of the corner speed almost went up 10 miles an hour (from) what an unrestricted engine was running at,” Johnson said.

“I am not sure those eight miles an hour through the center of the corner is going to allow us to run comfortably through the corner side-by-side. Now we have picked up a lot of speed through the corners and are the tires going to hold up? Is the suspension going to hold up? It costs a lot of money to even put a tapered spacer on the car. We are going to go and work to change all the internals to maximize the role that the engine performs. So I sympathize with NASCAR because there isn’t an easy way to go about things.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...estrictor-plates-kevin-harvick-jimmie-johnson

They are going to ****** kill the sport. I'm with you. Keep the power, lose the downforce.

Last edited:
throttle body just allows fuel / air intake into each individual cylinder. vs ole school carb intake manifold into all.

Hi dawg, when they asked Doug Yates about it earlier this year (still a big wig at RoushYates engines) he seemed convinced that they would reduce horsepower through gear ratios or spacers on the throttle bodies:

http://frontstretch.com/beyond-the-****pit-doug-yates-on-horsepower-reduction/

Neff: With the throttle body being tied in to the EFI system, is it possible to use EFI settings to reduce power or does that open a big can of worms if you monkey with those settings?

Yates: At the end of the day, the way you control power is through reducing airflow to the engine. It is an air pump and the more air you give it, the more power you can make with it. If you reduce the airflow, just like we do at Daytona and Talladega through a restrictor plate, that is a way to get there. Somewhat controversial but, through the years, like when Bobby Allison went into the fence here in 1987, that was with an 830 carburetor. The first thing they did was make them go to a 390 carburetor at plate tracks, so it isn’t unprecedented. That reduced the air flow and that was the first step in going to the restrictor plates. It isn’t really that big of a deal; it is just a matter of what size throttle body do you want to start with?

Plus, there was that Ford test at Michigan with Trevor Bayne that FL mentioned where they tested a Cup car with spacers on the TBs. I don't think Ford would test like that unless they knew the direction NASCAR was going but we will have to see.

Roush has already said that they would probably restrict it on the intake side, it is the cheapest easiest way to do so. IF they decide to do so.

will this not keep em bunched up all the way around the track

pretty much on a large track I would guess, about like the Nationwide, some tracks they stay pretty close. But I don't see a great improvement, they still are going too fast to do much passing..clean air is just as important and all that jazz.

No, it'll be the opposite of driving in corners is supposed to look like I imagine. They'll be catching each other in the straights and string out in the corners. Either that or they'll just run around ovals like they are Indycars.. WFO..

They are fixin' to lose this fan.

i just figured if they can run flat out getting in the turns, and in the turns, and off the turns, where will the separation be

i just figured if they can run flat out getting in the turns, and in the turns, and off the turns, where will the separation be

Air. Not to mention how can anyone gain on anyone if they have the same neutered power and they can all drive any way they want at all times. Takes the magic out of stock car racing. I'm no aerodynamicist or an engineer but this scenario makes sense to me.

Last edited:
They are going to ******* kill the sport. I'm with you. Keep the power, lose the downforce.
Look at the cars 20 years ago and its directly related to the quality of racing. You could stick a football under those cars. Nowadays youd be lucky to squeeze shreds of integrity under the cars.

If people want flat out racing all the way around, watch Indy Car.

They are sending a BIG F-YOU and they are making sure we all see it. That HAS to be it...
TNT has been giving us the BIG F-YOU pretty much since the switch over in 2001, tonight wasn't the first time

Look at the cars 20 years ago and its directly related to the quality of racing. You could stick a football under those cars. Nowadays youd be lucky to squeeze shreds of integrity under the cars.

If people want flat out racing all the way around, watch Indy Car.
Fortunately, IndyCar's DW12 car they've used since 2012 is a lot better than the previous generation and the only cookie-cutter tracks they run now are Texas and Fontana but even those don't have pack racing like they used to. The product has improved a good bit recently.

Hi dawg, when they asked Doug Yates about it earlier this year (still a big wig at RoushYates engines) he seemed convinced that they would reduce horsepower through gear ratios or spacers on the throttle bodies:

http://frontstretch.com/beyond-the-****pit-doug-yates-on-horsepower-reduction/

Plus, there was that Ford test at Michigan with Trevor Bayne that FL mentioned where they tested a Cup car with spacers on the TBs. I don't think Ford would test like that unless they knew the direction NASCAR was going but we will have to see.

may change tb size .......read nothing on tb spacers. ??
but i ain't no doug yates either ! ha!

a little hope.....maybe ?
when nbc takes over 2nd 1/2 next year ....they'll have both indy and nascar and f1 .

hopefully they will cross promote all 3 ........which will help all. ??

tnt sold tha golden goose.....just gettin max $$ for last few golden eggs. only 2 left !

hKPoi0e.jpg

a little hope.....maybe ?
when nbc takes over 2nd 1/2 next year ....they'll have both indy and nascar and f1 .

hopefully they will cross promote all 3 ........which will help all. ??

tnt sold tha golden goose.....just gettin max $$ for last few golden eggs. only 2 left !
NBC/NBCSN does a great job with most of what they do, the sports they cover usually see increases once they're picked up.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...inal-down-but-among-most-watched-in-20-years/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/05/epl-viewership-up-big-in-first-season-on-nbc-networks/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/06/formula-1-viewership-up-111-on-nbcsn-43-overall/

RFR does kindof blow though..
They certainly suck, but still have a leg up on HScott and Tommy Baldwin Racing. Stenhouse has no excuse. Of all the rookie drivers to come up last year or this year the only two I can safely say he's performing better than are Bowman and Truex.

They certainly suck, but still have a leg up on HScott and Tommy Baldwin Racing. Stenhouse has no excuse. Of all the rookie drivers to come up last year or this year the only two I can safely say he's performing better than are Bowman and Truex.
Truth.

Don't listen to'em FL. At least you're posting links instead of blowin up the threads with huge graphs like a newbie. :D

Espn only spent about 1-2mins talking about last nights race, now they are back to baseball, soccer & tennis. Unreal, I sure wish they gave Cup a little more coverage than that!

Back
Top Bottom