Kkfans Motorsports Updates

Passed tech ready to run sometime after 4
20230423_125347.jpg

Had an absolute blast today. 2 wheel drive tuff trucks were the first event of the day and I went out third. Was just one truck at a time this time. Probably because they had 2 mud bogs and ramps set up for Mega Trucks (more on them in a second) I'm most proud that my work survived on a course that featured 3 jumps. I came in 5 out of 5 in the class unfortunately because I hit the first jump a bit sideways amd clipped a stick for the mud pit and that's a 5 second penalty in a race where first and 2nd were split by 3 hundredths. But I'm happy I want up against 2 90s Rangers a 90s Cherokee and an 07 Equinox. I think I beat the Equinox without the penalty. He broke bad over the last jump lot of fluid coming out. Biggest issue was my visor fogged up so when you see the video realize I'm about blind from the time I start my first turn, but as they say in sprint cars send it. The day did have a bad incident in the mega trucks however which soured the mode. One of the trucks after its run didn't slow down...went through the entrance to the pit area crashed through a chain link fence and into another, at the same time striking and running over one of his crew members. Ironically the one controlling the kill switch on the truck. It was a very scary couple of minutes as I was maybe 50-75 feet away in the stands dozens of people rushed in to help lift the truck off of him and you could see the EMTs doing CPR. The latest update was positive though he was at the hospital, breathing on his own, vital signs good and in stable condition. He had also been communicating. The mega trucks canceled the rest of their show understandably its a small community. I'm glad I ran before it because my nerves were shocked for awhile. They finished up the tuff trucks and mud bog still at the end. Can't wait for the next show though coming up in about a month. Though I know I'm going to feel those jumps tomorrow

The final ramp, a good 2.5 feet comes up above my knee.
20230423_151209.jpg

How we ran the course today

20230423_152245.jpg

20230423_172444.jpg

The truck involved in the crash

Best wishes and it sounds like you will be competitive, keep on chasing the dream.
Glad to hear that the crew member will mostly likely be okay.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I interested in reading how it is all going for you.

First time editing video, cut about 2 minutes of nothing out of it. The camera bounces downwards after the last jump but that is right at the finish.

Someone else who was there filming on Sunday. Nice to see a different view also shows me things I can work on. 1) cornering faster, 2) hitting jumps straight.

Do you get a bonus point for being one of like three guys to actually run a truck in the tuff truck race?
No I should though lol I'm definitely at a weight disadvantage. It's pretty much always been dominated by Jeeps since I've been going.

The track shared some photos from the event, I picked out the relevant ones.
FB_IMG_1682548972482.jpg
FB_IMG_1682548978363.jpg
FB_IMG_1682548983480.jpg

Can you adjust the weight any to keep the nose up a little more on the jumps.
I've been thinking about that. I have to read through the rules and see if I'm allowed to add ballast to the rear. Over all I've just been think how I can drop weight as I have the heaviest truck in the class by far.

I've been thinking about that. I have to read through the rules and see if I'm allowed to add ballast to the rear. Over all I've just been think how I can drop weight as I have the heaviest truck in the class by far.
Maybe a dumb question and I may have my methodology crossed up.

But if you stay on the throttle while in mid flight over ther jump will it help to keep the nose up (just a little)? or would pumping the brakes to stop the momentum of the rear wheels in midflight make the nose drop more?
Similar thought to what they do in motocross but obviously not as effective due to weight and torque differences (but any gain is still a gain)

Maybe a dumb question and I may have my methodology crossed up.

But if you stay on the throttle while in mid flight over ther jump will it help to keep the nose up (just a little)? or would pumping the brakes to stop the momentum of the rear wheels in midflight make the nose drop more?
Similar thought to what they do in motocross but obviously not as effective due to weight and torque differences (but any gain is still a gain)
I honestly have no idea, I like to think I'm staying in the throttle but it happens so fast I'm not entirely sure what I was doing. As much as I bounced around don't know where my feet were.

Took some screenshots from the youtube video
Screenshot_20230428_121641_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_121617_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_121450_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_121434_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_121410_YouTube.jpg

Night 2, supposed to go head to head tonight. Course will be different because it's paired with a monster truck show, probably more about speed and turning than jumps.
20230520_133546.jpg

We ended up going against the clock tonight. Best result yet 4th place and a $150 dollar check for the effort. I'm still learning this truck and getting it to turn even competitively with the Jeeps is a challenge. Jump was a little rough on the back. Have a noise I need to investigate now. It's like a whirring and I thought I smelled antifreeze...not sure if related will have to dig in during daylight, it's still running and the gagues are ok.

The thumbnail from someone else on YouTube of my landing off the jump explains all the back pain today
Screenshot_20230521_123815_Gallery.jpg
20230520_152624.jpg
20230520_174528.jpg

I go out 2nd here. First 7 trucks were my class. The 4wd had to go out in the rain and the track became a skating rink.

Video from today...filled with my daughters fascinating color commentary as my wife films.

Narrator- it was at this point he noticed something was wrong
FB_IMG_1690247947659.jpg

Those shows actually have some decent crowds it looks like.
Yeah Buck Motorsports Park pulls in a steady group. This was mixed in with a mud bog that night. Other times we are paired with monster trucks. They also do demolition derby, truck and tractor pulls, and diesel truck drag racing. Also started to have rodeos, Motocross, and a Justin Moore concert this year and last.

Video from today...filled with my daughters fascinating color commentary as my wife films.

Excellent stuff. I am sure you cherish having your daughters commentary on the audio. It will be something to hold on to and enjoy more with each passing year.

It absolutely does not want to come off...I'm guessing something is bent? Also looks like I have a broken shock.
20230806_153415.jpg

The wheels rust on the hub up north. Pretty common. Kinda strange with all of the jumping you do.

The wheels rust on the hub up north. Pretty common. Kinda strange with all of the jumping you do.
It's the first time I've tried to take the wheel off don't know if that plays into it I have no idea how long it's been on there. I'm going to get something bigger than the rubber mallet I had on hand.

It's the first time I've tried to take the wheel off don't know if that plays into it I have no idea how long it's been on there. I'm going to get something bigger than the rubber mallet I had on hand.
I watch a couple of guys on Youtube, one is a full time shop mechanic in upstate N.Y. and he uses a big air hammer to loosen them up and another amateur guy in Canada that uses a sledge hammer. I think you are going to have to get serious with it. The pro guy smears anti seize on the wheel when he puts them back on.

I watch a couple of guys on Youtube, one is a full time shop mechanic in upstate N.Y. and he uses a big air hammer to loosen them up and another amateur guy in Canada that uses a sledge hammer. I think you are going to have to get serious with it. The pro guy smears anti seize on the wheel when he puts them back on.
I got drug on the wheel after it broke don't know if that may have something to do with it. All I know is it's not coming off no matter how much I yank on it.

I got drug on the wheel after it broke don't know if that may have something to do with it. All I know is it's not coming off no matter how much I yank on it.
I wonder about kicking it down on the bottom heee yaaa. Might work if it isn't stuck too badly

I wonder about kicking it down on the bottom heee yaaa. Might work if it isn't stuck too badly

Yeah that's worth a shot. Or take another wheel off the truck (or if you have another loose wheel somewhere), and hurl it into the stuck wheel. Always works for me, but it may take a few tries. Alternate your shots from top to bottom (hopefully that makes sense). Just make sure the truck is really secure on the jackstands

Back
Top Bottom