Kurt Busch Rages During Interview

I'm pretty sure Kurt has a 5 year deal with Pennzoil, but they said it isn't about who drives the car because they got about $100 million worth of new business by going to Penske. They also made Dodge happy to keep putting pennzoil in their new cars.

And David Ruetimann had a contract with Aarons.

It would not be out of the question for Penske to replace Busch in the 22 with Hornish - even in 2012 -and just eat the remaining dollars on Kurt's contract. I'd go so far as to suggest that Roger could go to an arbitrator and have Kurt's contract voided at any time, citing "Actions detrimental to the success and viability of Penske Racing by a raging out-of-control azzhole" or some such verbage. ;)

It would not be out of the question for Penske to replace Busch in the 22 with Hornish - even in 2012 -and just eat the remaining dollars on Kurt's contract. I'd go so far as to suggest that Roger could go to an arbitrator and have Kurt's contract voided at any time, citing "Actions detrimental to the success and viability of Penske Racing by a raging out-of-control azzhole" or some such verbage. ;)

That out is in most sponsor contracts. It is possible, but I think Roger would fight for one more chance for Kurt. He has greatly toned it down over the radio the past 2 or 3 weeks, but he's still an A hole.

I would think it's up to Roger. If Pennzoil threatens to walk, Roger's money goes somewhere else. I think it would be PHENOMINAL to grab Ricky Stenhouse while the getting is good. That kid will be as good as Kez, and I believe both will win championships.

I don't think it will happen in 2012, just because Rodger knows that Hornish needs growth in the NNS. However if Busch has a stinker again next season and his tirades get bigger I could she it definetly happen by 2013. Especially if Hornish starts knocking off wins in NNS.

I'm pretty sure Kurt has a 5 year deal with Pennzoil, but they said it isn't about who drives the car because they got about $100 million worth of new business by going to Penske. They also made Dodge happy to keep putting pennzoil in their new cars.

Then why did kurt leave the 2

tomjensen100 tom jensen

"Penske Racing extends its apologies to Dr. Jerry Punch, our media partners and our sponsors and fans for Kurt Busch's inappropriate actions in Homestead on Sunday. These actions do not represent Penske Racing and are inconsistent with the company's standards for behavior, respect for others and professionalism. This matter is being reviewed internally with no further comment at this time."

Then why did kurt leave the 2

The official word from Penske, repeated through Kurt, was that "Pennzoil wanted him, or it was a deal breaker".

This contrasts with what the sponsors said.

Pennzoil: This deal isn't about who drives the car. It's a tremendous business to business opportunity for Pennzoil.

Millerlite: We are extremely excited to partner with an up and coming star in nascar who is a better fit for our demographic.

Pennzoil doesn't care who drives, as long as they don't alienate their customers or tarnish their brand. Simple terms, but Kurt may be messing it up.
It seems to me Millerlite asked for a switch, and Roger asked them to wait until he could grab a sponsor for Kurt. Pennzoil's contract with RCR was coming due, and Roger was holding a lot of cards. Richard Childress was very bitter about how the deal was done, but too bad.

Kez was coming off a pretty bad Cup season, so MLite saw something they really liked to switch from a former champ to a 26th place finisher.

Oh Noes!! He said bad words!! Anyone who has ever spent more than 15 minutes in the pits knows emotions run high especially when things go wrong. They don't say things like "Golly gee" and "Aw shucks". Any so-called reporter should not only know that but also realize the temperment of who he/she plans on interviewing. Why the big rush to get to KB? No other drivers available? Was it really that big of a story? Why wasn't the crew ready to 'roll tape'?

I'm not KB fan but if na$car fines him, well that ain't right.

brains next plan for 2012,,language police.:sarcasm:

His language doesn't bother me in the least ---I've heard worse. What bothers me is the disrespect he showed Dr. Punch. If Kurt didn't want to talk, all he had to say was "not right now", or something like it, and I'm sure Jerry would have backed off. Of all the reporters in the garage, Jerry is the one that would have the most empathy for the drivers.

I hope NASCAR does NOT fine Kurt or punish him in anyway --- it hasn't before.

Geoff Smith, President of Roush Racing 2005 " we are officially retiring as Kurt Busch's apologist".

By all accounts, Kurt Busch got away with drunk driving and Roush knew it.

I explained this earlier, and it's been confirmed by a reporter who spoke to Kurt. He was trying to coast into the garage and was blocked by a vehicle that shouldn't have been there, so he flipped the bird at the vehicle and whoever was driving it. Kinda like flipping the bird when someone cuts you off.

People in the garage area are supposed to be aware and keep things clear for anyone coming in, so he had a right to be pissed. He wont be fined for this little birdie.

OOOHHH! I did'nt realize there where times when it's okay to flip anyone off on National TV :sarcasm:

Found the actual incident on Youtube. Not sure who it was aimed at though.

My guess is a fan with a hot pass or a crew member from another team was either clapping or giving his own bird as Busch drove by. He's a real treat. :rolleyes:

My guess is a fan with a hot pass or a crew member from another team was either clapping or giving his own bird as Busch drove by. He's a real treat. :rolleyes:

Why imagine when he already said exactly what was going on?

I can't either, FB. The only thing that really chaps my ass is the way Kurt treated Dr. Punch and the TV team. If he didn't want to talk right then, why didn't he say so?

IMO, Dr Jerry Punch could have demonstrated his surname on Kurts face and I would have applauded him for it. That's an especially vile term Kurt used, and it would get him a major ass whooping on any street corner.

IMO, Dr Jerry Punch could have demonstrated his surname on Kurts face and I would have applauded him for it. That's an especially vile term Kurt used, and it would get him a major ass whooping on any street corner.

Both the Busch brother need a good a$$ kicking.

Kurt Busch Statement: "Unfortunately, our result in the season-ending race at Homestead on Sunday was not what we had hoped for as a team. In my frustration with the loss of my transmission early in the race, I let my emotions get the better of me. I regret having done this and apologize to the sponsors of Penske Racing , to NASCAR, its fans, to the media and in particular, Dr. Jerry Punch."(Tom Roberts PR)

Now that his azz has been outed, he apologizes. Sorry, dude. Damage done.

naw, he just needs another dose of Jimmy Spencer. :)

^ This.

His language doesn't bother me in the least ---I've heard worse. What bothers me is the disrespect he showed Dr. Punch. If Kurt didn't want to talk, all he had to say was "not right now", or something like it, and I'm sure Jerry would have backed off. Of all the reporters in the garage, Jerry is the one that would have the most empathy for the drivers.

If I were Dr. Punch, or anyone else, I'd refuse to interview Kurt after a top-five or after he wins a race. That would push the sponsors right out if their driver doesn't get exposure for a win.

Jack fired Kurt's azz and Kurt was lucky to hook up with Roger. Roger should place a call to Jack, then call a mediator, terminate Kurt's contract and settle on a buyout of that contract (which I think has 2 more years on it). Then Roger can put Sam in the 22 and move forward. Sam is probably close to being ready to return to CUP - even though he saw limited duty in the N'wide series in 2011. Pennzoil would love, Love, LOVE to have Hornish drive for them again, I am sure!! (He enjoyed great success with them in Penske's INDY Cars)

I am still not convinced that Kyle is a lost cause. I think he has the smarts to be "rehabilitated" if you will. Kurt, however, IS a lost cause - and needs to be sent packing so the he has an opportunity to reflect on why he is where he is.

And here's where Kurt should begin that evaluation: IN THE EFFEN MIRROR, MOFO!!

What an ass. He should have just walked away. Maybe his contract says he is required to give interviews, I don't know, but I have seen other drivers refuse interviews before.

I would imagine Dr. Punch has it in his contract that he is required to interview any driver they ask him to... but... they may assign a different reporter next season "IF" Kurt is still driving.

Dude, you're right! The Networks are all about getting the "heat of the moment" reaction from the drivers! It makes for Great Headlines (and a gazillion hits on YouTube). It probably wasn't Jerry's call to rush up to Kurt. Most likely, it was the Director ordering him to "Go in there and get the story!" It could have been any of the pit reporters. Jerry was just the closest.

Maybe Kurt would have been kinder to Jamie Little (Oh, Jamie! :p) but then again, maybe not...

It runs in the Penske family...

Ehh...not quite apples to apples. Wheldon was a little justified in that situation since lives were at risk during that horrible restart IN THE RAIN. Helio, well - I don't remember what exactly happened there but I remember it being some terrifically bad officiating. In both cases, both drivers managed to cool off better than Kurt prior to talking to the press.

Kurt on the other hand was talking to a reporter long after the race was done (or was it before?). Every driver in every series all across the world should know that positive perception gets you $$$. Showing disrespect to the Dr. is not going to get you any good press no matter how you spin it. This dude is a ticking time bomb and it is only a matter of time before he does something that gets him in jail.

Wheldon was a little justified in that situation since lives were at risk during that horrible restart IN THE RAIN.

We know that you meant Will Powers... But I agree with you 100%. Not a direct comparison - and Will was right to be pizzed!!

It's probably already been posted on here although I hadn't seen it but..... Did anyone catch the video of Kurt driving into the garage area after dropping his transmission this past weekend? He was giving the one finger salute to someone. I wonder if that was his ex crew chief Steve Addington?

If it was already posted I apologize.

I wonder if that was Steve pulling out in that Suburban?
Read today that the SUV was associated with the First Lady's antourage, though she wasn't in it. So, did Busch think Michele was in that SUV?

Read today that the SUV was associated with the First Lady's antourage, though she wasn't in it. So, did Busch think Michele was in that SUV?

That's almost funny!

actually, I have to admit that I laffed out loud when I read that

Maybe I missed it somewhere but was this attempted interveiw after the race or right after the 22 car went in for repairs on lap 3?
Either way it Busch's treatment of Dr. Punch was Way out of line, just curious when it was.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but was this attempted interveiw after the race or right after the 22 car went in for repairs on lap 3?
Either way it Busch's treatment of Dr. Punch was Way out of line, just curious when it was.

It was right after the trans issue.

Poor Dr having ti sit there and take that. Drivers say "decline interview" all the time. That's alot shorter then ********** ************* *********** ***** *** ************ ****** ************

off of Jayski.....

Kurt Busch tirade at Jerry Punch: UPDATES: During Sunday's Ford 400 at Homestead, analyst Jerry Punch tried to interview Kurt Busch after the driver was forced out of the race with transmission problems. What resulted was a profanity-laced tirade by Busch who didn't want to wait until the ESPN control booth threw it to Punch. In the end, Punch decided he had enough and walked away from Busch telling his producers, "never mind, never mind."(USA Today)(11-22-2011)
UPDATE: Penske Racing extends its apologies to Dr. Jerry Punch, our media partners and our sponsors and fans for Kurt Busch's inappropriate actions in Homestead on Sunday. These actions do not represent Penske Racing and are inconsistent with the company's standards for behavior, respect for others and professionalism. This matter is being reviewed internally with no further comment at this time.(Penske Racing)(11-22-2011)
UPDATE 2: Kurt Busch Statement: "Unfortunately, our result in the season-ending race at Homestead on Sunday was not what we had hoped for as a team. In my frustration with the loss of my transmission early in the race, I let my emotions get the better of me. I regret having done this and apologize to the sponsors of Penske Racing , to NASCAR, its fans, to the media and in particular, Dr. Jerry Punch."(Tom Roberts PR)(11-22-2011)

We know that you meant Will Powers... But I agree with you 100%. Not a direct comparison - and Will was right to be pizzed!!
I was at NHMS for that race, and I gotta tell ya, sitting in the grandstands, I thought Will was giving ME the finger.....
But INDYCAR really blew that one....
I know, I know, post on the Open wheel board....

Back
Top Bottom