Kyle Larson Appreciation Thread

He has seen some great ones

Larson is no doubt special. Not sure I'd agree here though, give me Tony. But he's still special and has a career of true greatness ahead of him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Want to give @Revman a shout out here. For all the crap people give him, and all the opinions people have dismissed by him, he called this shot WAY before anyone else. Way before Larson even won his second race of the season. Way before we learned he can close out races. Way before his weaknesses in the 42 were no longer present..Rev dismissed them and more or less called the end of the season.

Just giving credit where it's due.
Thank you so much. For you to take the time to do this means a lot. Maybe, I am actually more objective than I thought? Oh hell no. LOL. :D

Thank you so much. For you to take the time to do this means a lot. Maybe, I am actually more objective than I thought? Oh hell no. LOL. :D
Yessir. I cleaned out the Tapatalk app, so when I opened up the thread, I wasn't logged in. This brought me to the top of the thread so I took the time and read through it.

I districtly remembered this conversation in may as I sat in a hospital bed awaiting gallbladder surgery, and I recall thinking that you were jumping the gun. But you called this before anyone else!

As for your last statement, as long as Toyota isn't involved, you're plenty objective ;)

His leadership, tone etc was there, he just struggled to adjust a car late into the race, and we saw this early this year as well.

JJ was over the hill, Cliff was new. I think Cliff grew this year as a CC.

But if I wasn't clear, my point was moreso about his personality than anything else.

Yeah I think that Pocono wreck did it for Jimmie. That brake failure spooked him and he never was the same driver again

Yeah I think that Pocono wreck did it for Jimmie. That brake failure spooked him and he never was the same driver again
His edge seemed gone, then with NASCAR changing the package, and him having to relearn how to apply his skillset to the momentum package, I think he just was sort of riding around using up seat time. There was an agressive precision to his style that just seemed to disappear.

It's interesting though..because he had the baha 1000 wreck where he was stranded for 20 hours, the Watkins Glen wreck, and it seemed pretty indifferent. Maybe being a father gives him more to lose.

These guys deserve to have a fun filled celebration. Nice job by the number 5 team. I have been there and done that a few times and I know exactly how they feel. :cheers:

Last edited:
1636382043418.png

One of the things I like about the Larson Family is they are so down to earth and don't seem to flaunt their wealth. For instance, Katelyn knew there was a pretty good chance Kyle would win the championship and there would be a lot of pictures taken after the race was finished, and yet she still wore old cutoff shorts and a white blouse. I love that about her. She is just having a good time, while raising their kids on the road and at race tracks across the country while supporting Kyles racing endeavors. I'm sure that can't always be as easy as and fun as she makes it look.

You can take the girl out of the dirt track, but you can't take the dirt track out of the girl
Yep...I'm bummed that they moved the Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ventura that Larson usually races in to Saturday night this year because I have a slot car race scheduled so I won't be able to make the Ventura race.

Yep...I'm bummed that they moved the Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ventura that Larson usually races in to Saturday night this year because I have a slot car race scheduled so I won't be able to make the Ventura race.
It's possible that somebody will tape it, Larson is going to be a big draw

I know give the guy a break, he just won the championship

So if next year
Larson goes winless and/or misses playoffs
Is he‘s not the best driver ever and 2021 was just a fluke

sure anything can happen
he can win 20 races next year

greatest driver ever based on one year?

he has a long way to 40 or even 50 wins
or even another championship

So if next year

sure anything can happen

He led the most laps in the history of Nascar and tied Jimmy Johnson's record of 10 wins in a season. Both of those aren't going away no matter what seasons ahead he has.

Reactions: sdj
He led the most laps in the history of Nascar and tied Jimmy Johnson's record of 10 wins in a season. Both of those aren't going away no matter what seasons ahead he has.
I don't think laps led is a very good stat to be using as a comparison in a year like this one. Given the current rules IMO its a lot easier for a driver to lead a ton of laps. The aero/hp package makes passing difficult at a lot of tracks. The way the starting positions are determined also helps a lot. If you finished good last week, you start near the front this week, that helps a ton.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I don't think laps led is a very good stat to be using as a comparison in a year like this one. Given the current rules IMO its a lot easier for a driver to lead a ton of laps. The aero/hp package makes passing difficult at a lot of tracks. The way the starting positions are determined also helps a lot. If you finished good last week, you start near the front this week, that helps a ton.

If it's easier, surely some other talented people would have eaten into Larson's total. The guy led more laps in 2021 than anyone else has ever led in any year since the beginning of time.

Minimize that.

If it's easier, surely some other talented people would have eaten into Larson's total. The guy led more laps in 2021 than anyone else has ever led in any year since the beginning of time.

Minimize that.
I think I explained it pretty well above how this season made it easier than previous seasons to lead more laps.......

Eh I don't agree with the lack of passing for the lead statement. In fact I think it is harder to lead a race. Phelps thinks so too and I bet he has access to the data to prove it.

“You look at green-flag passes for the lead, I think it’s the second [most] since 2007. The most passing throughout the field that we’ve had ever.”

Eh I don't agree with the lack of passing for the lead statement. In fact I think it is harder to lead a race. Phelps thinks so too and I bet he has access to the data to prove it.

“You look at green-flag passes for the lead, I think it’s the second [most] since 2007. The most passing throughout the field that we’ve had ever.”
It's would be interesting to look at those number and see how many of those passes occurred within a lap or two of a restart.

It's would be interesting to look at those number and see how many of those passes occurred within a lap or two of a restart.

They have always had restarts. Please save us from the fake cautions yammering in comparison to the stages. Either way they have had plenty of cautions for measurements to be made

I think I explained it pretty well above how this season made it easier than previous seasons to lead more laps.......

Your explanation doesn't register with me.

They have always had restarts. Please save us from the fake cautions yammering in comparison to the stages. Either way they have had plenty of cautions for measurements to be made
The reason I bring it up is because one would think that passes in the laps immediately following a restart had to of increased as a result of the choose cone. You can now organize pushes easier snd start in the preferred line.

I would have also expected an increase when they went to double file restarts

So if next year

sure anything can happen

I don't know, but this I do know for sure...with the Next Gen car, 2022 is a mulligan. No book. No real race experience. Crap shot. My only question is, how long before the top teams figure it out and have the big advantage?

I don't know, but this I do know for sure...with the Next Gen car, 2022 is a mulligan. No book. No real race experience. Crap shot. My only question is, how long before the top teams figure it out and have the big advantage?
Half a season or shorter would be my guess. Engines, aero, and handling they are already working on. They have quite a bit of info from the various tire tests I would think

One of the things I like about the Larson Family is they are so down to earth and don't seem to flaunt their wealth. For instance, Katelyn knew there was a pretty good chance Kyle would win the championship and there would be a lot of pictures taken after the race was finished, and yet she still wore old cutoff shorts and a white blouse. I love that about her. She is just having a good time, while raising their kids on the road and at race tracks across the country while supporting Kyles racing endeavors. I'm sure that can't always be as easy as and fun as she makes it look.
My God really? I'll put money on it that those down home shorts and blouse cost more than you could possibly. That's designer **** these days. Okay, I'm done...continue the narrative....Where were we? Salt of the earth....down home folk.....got it.

So if next year

sure anything can happen

Don't **** with the narrative. He is Jesus behind the wheel.

Half a season or shorter would be my guess. Engines, aero, and handling they are already working on. They have quite a bit of info from the various tire tests I would think
I've got a feeling I know who will get the jump.....and I will say this....I have 0 interest in listening to ANY driver **** talk the direction NASCAR is going with this. I support it 100%, and it fascinates the **** out of me. I can't wait. I feel like MTJ gives it a year, and walks. KFB might not be far behind....

I've got a feeling I know who will get the jump.....and I will say this....I have 0 interest in listening to ANY driver **** talk the direction NASCAR is going with this. I support it 100%, and it fascinates the **** out of me. I can't wait. I feel like MTJ gives it a year, and walks. KFB might not be far behind....
I think the car is going to need some tweaks when it goes from testing to week to week racing. Some drivers will have a field day complaining, most won't say much. That's my guess. Going from the drawing board to real life almost always will point out some flaws in the design.

I think they are going to have fits with the higher clearance and the underbody that is supposed to create downforce. 40 cars stirring up the air is hard to replicate in a lab and I think they are going to lose more down force than they expect. They could be a handfull to drive, and that isn't going to make some of them very happy.

Last edited:
Neither of those are accurate stats. Johnson's 10 wins isn't a record. Gordon, Dale, DW have all won more in the modern era.

Larson's lap lead record is for the 36 race season. Dale Sr lead over 3,000 laps in 33 races, Gordon lead over 2600 in 33 races.

I'm loving this season by Larson, but there's a lot of inaccurate stats being tossed around, or at the very least, carefully worded.

Minimize that.
Again, the laps lead record simply isn't true.

And I cannot believe that Phelps said that on live TV, and that the media has run with it.

Dale Sr lead over 3,000 laps in 87 in a 33 race schedule. Gordon lead over 2600 in a 33 race schedule.

Larson's record is for the 36 race schedule. It's not the most laps lead ever. It's the most laps lead since 2001. Not only is it not the most ever, but drivers have lead more with fewer races, IN the modern era.

Nascar media needs to get their stat checker right.

The reason I bring it up is because one would think that passes in the laps immediately following a restart had to of increased as a result of the choose cone. You can now organize pushes easier snd start in the preferred line.

I would have also expected an increase when they went to double file restarts

Totally fair. Rather, the side by side racing, as well as the aero issues making it near impossible to pass will register constant "passes" on the leaderboard, as long as one car is a few inches ahead. A driver may take 8 laps to pass a car. One lap, his nose is an inch ahead, the next lap, after failing to complete the pass, the slower car regains the positon. That can go on 5 or 6 times during a battle. That 8 laps of side by side racing can very well show 6 "passes" on the leaderboard in that 8 lap run, even though it was merely 1 car attempting the pass the 3rd.

This is the kind of context those moronic fan surveys ignore, and that nascar hopes the fans actually believe.

Unless passing isn't scored that way. If it is, the passing stats are completely unreliable.

Neither of those are accurate stats. Johnson's 10 wins isn't a record. Gordon, Dale, DW have all won more in the modern era.

Larson's lap lead record is for the 36 race season. Dale Sr lead over 3,000 laps in 33 races, Gordon lead over 2600 in 33 races.

I'm loving this season by Larson, but there's a lot of inaccurate stats being tossed around, or at the very least, carefully worded.

Larson ended up leading 2,581 laps

Sunday at Texas, Larson led a race-high 256 laps. He has now led 2,267 laps this season in the No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet.
According to Racing Insights, he still has to overtake Hendrick legend Jeff Gordon and Kevin Harvick to claim the record for most laps led in a season since the Cup Series went to a 36-race schedule in 2001.

Gordon led 2,320 laps on the way to his fourth and final Cup title that season

Here is the correction on Larson. I think it was one of the gerbils that was saying most laps led all time since the beginning of Nascar. As it is, it looks like he tied Stewart's playoff record.

He claimed the title with his 10th victory of the season (11th counting the NASCAR All-Star Race). He’s the first driver to reach double digits in Cup wins in a season since Jimmie Johnson won 10 times during his 2007 championship season. Larson’s five wins in the playoffs match Tony Stewart’s record when he won the 2011 crown.

Last edited:
Again, the laps lead record simply isn't true.

And I cannot believe that Phelps said that on live TV, and that the media has run with it.

Dale Sr lead over 3,000 laps in 87 in a 33 race schedule. Gordon lead over 2600 in a 33 race schedule.

Larson's record is for the 36 race schedule. It's not the most laps lead ever. It's the most laps lead since 2001. Not only is it not the most ever, but drivers have lead more with fewer races, IN the modern era.

Nascar media needs to get their stat checker right.

My bad. Thanks for the correction. I counted on their numbers.

I guess we’ll just have to wait for Larson to have a good season. 😎

Back
Top Bottom