Larson starts storm over autographs on Twitter

During the heyday, the drivers came to you. Dale senior made the trip to Bismarck North Dakota in the late 90s, signed thousands of memorabilia, and bull****ted with every single person that approached him. Kyle Larson and Danica can go back to selling t shirt at a dirt track, if they don't have enough time for anyone. Who knows, in a couple years, at the rate the sport is going to ****, they might actually make more money doing it that way.

Kind of agree with Larson. Why set there a sign stuff if you're only making $50? Im not one to buy merchandise to get it signed though, if I want an autograph it will be on a piece of paper.
Seriously? Is everything about making money? I have no clue what Kyle Larson actually makes in a year. But let's just say $1 million and lets just say he worked a 40 hour week (I know he doesn't). Using those numbers he would be averaging around $500 an hour. For it to be worth his time
I have never understood the desire to wait in line to meet anyone to exchange a few words and get something signed but I am in a teeny tiny minority on that. If there are certain concessions a driver wants he should have those things addressed and included in his contract so he can't complain about it later.
As an adult, I agree with you. It can be pretty exciting for a kid though. I have enjoyed waiting in line many times with my son years ago.

Back in 2000, Sterling Marlin had an autograph session at some random bar & grill in western Ohio. Good old Sterling stayed for hours and BS'ed with fans, got drunk off a dozen Coors Lights, signed anything for anybody. Made time for every person there and was smiling the whole time. He even gave my buddy (who was a huge Marlin fan) the hat right off his head.

The difference is that Busch has acted like he does his entire career, whereas this is the 2nd or 3rd time Larson has had negative publicity. That's a big difference.

Age is the only difference. Larson will be a superstar in the sport and will probably be hated eventually. I like Larson and if Kyle ever retires, he's my new driver. The guy is having success this year which leads to people paying attention to him, he's always been vocal and its not something new but now fans care enough to listen. I dont think what he said is bad nor negative publicity. He made a legit point and something should be done about it.

I've had a great time around so many drivers. Actually all others I've seen. Terry labonte Carl Edwards Trevor Bayne Jason Keller randy Lajoie Glenn Allen and several others in the Busch series late 90s. All made the fans have a good moment

Only posh moment seen was mcmurray.. of course he was supposed to be this break out star at any moment then so maybe that went to his head in those days who knows. Good to hear some have had some better encounters of him. Refreshing.

I've had a great time around so many drivers. Actually all others I've seen. Terry labonte Carl Edwards Trevor Bayne Jason Keller randy Lajoie Glenn Allen and several others in the Busch series late 90s. All made the fans have a good moment

Only posh moment seen was mcmurray.. of course he was supposed to be this break out star at any moment then so maybe that went to his head in those days who knows. Good to hear some have had some better encounters of him. Refreshing.

Jason Keller is by far my all time favorite BGN driver. :cheers:

Age is the only difference. Larson will be a superstar in the sport and will probably be hated eventually. I like Larson and if Kyle ever retires, he's my new driver. The guy is having success this year which leads to people paying attention to him, he's always been vocal and its not something new but now fans care enough to listen. I dont think what he said is bad nor negative publicity. He made a legit point and something should be done about it.
Not to make this a Busch vs Larson thread, but I don't ever see Larson doing some of the things Busch has done. For example, smashing a trophy in victory lane, or something like the Hornaday incident, or storming off pouting after finishing 2nd in an exhibition race.

From everything I've ever seen from Larson, he understands the word respect. Busch? Not so much.

I try to be hesitant to judge off of one interaction. The only bad interaction I've ever had was with one of the most beloved drivers ever. Mark Martin.

Not to make this a Busch vs Larson thread, but I don't ever see Larson doing some of the things Busch has done. For example, smashing a trophy in victory lane, or something like the Hornaday incident, or storming off pouting after finishing 2nd in an exhibition race.

From everything I've ever seen from Larson, he understands the word respect. Busch? Not so much.

Respect has nothing to do with it. Smashing a trophy(guitar) is not disrespectful in my opinion and pretty cool. Larson has a winners mentality and it will rub people the wrong way eventually which we've seen start this year.

Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson have many, many differences between them. Their age difference is irrelevant.

I agree they are different personality wise but their ages are the biggest difference in how people view them in my opinion. Larson just hasn't been in that spotlight as much.

Respect has nothing to do with it. Smashing a trophy(guitar) is not disrespectful in my opinion and pretty cool. Larson has a winners mentality and it will rub people the wrong way eventually which we've seen start this year.
For some reason, this does not surprise me at all. To each his own.

For some reason, this does not surprise me at all. To each his own.

Exactly, I enjoy someone who is controversial and voices their opinion. Kyle Busch does both very well. I also believe Larson shares some of those characteristics and now that he's on top of the sport they are starting to show. Im not saying he'll be the next Kyle Busch but of the young drivers he's the most vocal one.

Guess people just ignored what I posted. Or what he tweeted about the same thing. Guess some only care to read what fits their narrative.

The difference is that Busch has acted like he does his entire career, whereas this is the 2nd or 3rd time Larson has had negative publicity. That's a big difference.

Publicity. Key word here.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing. He has been married long enough to know this.

Not married I don't think...maybe this is the issue.

Yawn.

Exactly, I enjoy someone who is controversial and voices their opinion. Kyle Busch does both very well. I also believe Larson shares some of those characteristics and now that he's on top of the sport they are starting to show. Im not saying he'll be the next Kyle Busch but of the young drivers he's the most vocal one.

Tremendous post. :punkrocke

Time is money. Only the business illiterate will throw a tantrum over this.

Must be a slow news day.

IDK what the drivers are obligated to do regarding personal appearances and signing things but if they are contractually obligated then they just need to suck it up and do it. If they are not obligated then go do something they enjoy instead.

When Busch was Larson's age, he had already lost his ride for rubbing people the wrong way and acting like a jackass

Which hasn't hurt his career any and some could argue has helped it. Now I wasn't a fan of his when he was with Hendrick as I was still pulling for Jr then. Once I seen how Kyle drove and he just didn't give a damn what people thought of him I've been a fan. Actually was a race where him and Jr got into it on the track that made me switch to Kyle.

Not married I don't think...maybe this is the issue.

Larson is young to be married, and maybe has not taken the vows.
But I think he is at least hitched. They show up every week looking every bit the couple, as mom and dad too.

Edit: Refer to he already DUN married previous post by @DUN24 above.

Last edited:
Which hasn't hurt his career any and some could argue has helped it. Now I wasn't a fan of his when he was with Hendrick as I was still pulling for Jr then. Once I seen how Kyle drove and he just didn't give a damn what people thought of him I've been a fan. Actually was a race where him and Jr got into it on the track that made me switch to Kyle.

Different strokes for different folks as a relatively small amount of people will like Kyle because of his overall behavior but I suspect most won't. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter as he is paid wheel a car and only needs to keep his owner and sponsors happy.

Once I seen how Kyle drove and he just didn't give a damn what people thought of him I've been a fan.

Dude, Kyle Damn Busch through 8a and into 9 at Sonoma---Absolute magic. Just awesome.

I am truely dissapointed in his remarks. I think he has great talent and is up and coming. The way his response came off..... unacceptable for someone who should be trying to build a fan base ........ I guess maybe the younger kids might not realize where all the millions of dollars they are making comes from. Coming up hardscrabble and wondering if you have enough money to make the next race is what endeared a lot of fans to some of the older drivers...... and it showed in their character.......

Kyle Larson posted on Twitter several days ago how much money he made off t-shirt sales at the dirt tracks he's been racing at versus the money he actually makes from NASCAR shirt sales. That has caught the eye of the national media.

As people continue to talk about that and Larson interacts with fans on the subject, someone said fans would buy more drivers' merchandise if the drivers would hang around the hauler after the races to sign items.

Larson's response had some very bad optics to it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the pre-race shows this weekend talk about this.

He's right, you know...

I am truely dissapointed in his remarks. I think he has great talent and is up and coming. The way his response came off..... unacceptable for someone who should be trying to build a fan base ........ I guess maybe the younger kids might not realize where all the millions of dollars they are making comes from. Coming up hardscrabble and wondering if you have enough money to make the next race is what endeared a lot of fans to some of the older drivers...... and it showed in their character.......
Isn't that how Larson came up?

Isn't that how Larson came up?

It's exactly how he came up. There are a bunch of old timers in here begging for yester-year and the days where Richard turned the wrench on his own car. Get with it, it's 2017 and these mega stars haven't turned a wrench on their cars in over 20 years. Kyle's twitter comments are bot going to ruin any aspect of his career. Look at the landscape of American sports. If you are talented you can get away with almost anything. The good ole boys network of NASCAR is no different. A bunch of pissing and moaning about absolutely nothing from a bunch of people simply reading a perspective in under 150 characters. Most of whom, have zero direct knowledge or contact with the person.

It's exactly how he came up. There are a bunch of old timers in here begging for yester-year and the days where Richard turned the wrench on his own car. Get with it, it's 2017 and these mega stars haven't turned a wrench on their cars in over 20 years. Kyle's twitter comments are bot going to ruin any aspect of his career. Look at the landscape of American sports. If you are talented you can get away with almost anything. The good ole boys network of NASCAR is no different. A bunch of pissing and moaning about absolutely nothing from a bunch of people simply reading a perspective in under 150 characters. Most of whom, have zero direct knowledge or contact with the person.
And maybe what you posted is the main reason Nascar is losing so many viewers and attendance.......

NASCAR does not have a union for its drivers does it? So who brokers the deals and the payouts for the drivers and their merchandise? Maybe, just maybe Larson is shedding light on something that desperately needs to be changed.

And maybe what you posted is the main reason Nascar is losing so many viewers and attendance.......

Yeah, I think you nailed it......

The guy who comes home to Placerville to run the WOO race and signs at a Napa store for over 3 hours then goes to the race and has people swarm him in his pit stall and while he is watching heat races all while signing for everyone is the reason.....

Are you going to not watch until Larson apologizes or something?

This is apparently one of the main reasons why NASCAR has attendance issues and is losing viewers.......

Yeah, I think you nailed it......

The guy who comes home to Placerville to run the WOO race and signs at a Napa store for over 3 hours then goes to the race and has people swarm him in his pit stall and while he is watching heat races all while signing for everyone is the reason.....

Are you going to not watch until Larson apologizes or something?

I think he was getting at how 'out of touch' racing has become. Drivers are all "Cole Trickle" and don't know how to set up a car and turn wrenches and whatnot. Plus, we are super connected now. So connected, that we get to see random thoughts typed on a phone from well-known people.

It's funny though, half the drivers could have hot rods in the garage and no one would ever know because it really doesn't matter that much. Maybe the media needs to raid racecar drivers personal garages.... that would actually be pretty dope.

I think he was getting at how 'out of touch' racing has become. Drivers are all "Cole Trickle" and don't know how to set up a car and turn wrenches and whatnot. Plus, we are super connected now, so connected that we get to see random thoughts typed on a phone from well-known people.

It's funny though, half the drivers could have hot rods in the garage and no one would ever know because it really doesn't matter that much. Maybe the media needs to raid racecar drivers personal garages.... that would actually be pretty dope.
Bowyer has some very nice toy cars. So does Ryan Newman.

Back
Top Bottom