Las Vegas Grand Prix (2023)

NASCAR didn't have this problem with manhole covers coming up when they went to Chicago

F1 cars have a ton more speed and more downforce.
These cars actually run a vacuum under the car, so it will suck up anything that is loose.

But, NASCAR also put more planning and more preparation into it. That’s the difference.
For the first ever cup street race, it was kind of amazing Nascar did so good of a job.

Here's what I don't get: F1 does street races in other countries. What made Vegas so different?

It's like if the Dodgers went to NYC to play an exhibition game in the middle of Times Square. NYC already has baseball, closing/building required infrastructure in Times Square is a massive hassle, and the city doesn't need to put its self through all the trouble for not exactly a huge increase its tourism that weekend... and the conditions for the game its self would likely suck.

Vegas already has a ton of entertainment and now sports options... they really didn't need F1 the FIA just wrote a big enough check and promised massive revenues. They were adamant about hosting this on the strip and ruined the experience of the strip and other parts of the city for tourists the previous 6+ months (I was there... it was pretty ruined). Had it been a regular weekend in Vegas the city probably would've made as much revenue as F1 is brining in and hotel occupancy is always 95%+ on the weekends save for December/January... so what was the point financially?

The other street courses F1 goes to... for the most part, it's either hosted out of the way of major roads, or the event draws people that would otherwise never go there. People are going to visit Las Vegas with or without F1. The street race at Chicago, with NASCAR, for example, significantly boosted what would normally be a "dead" tourism weekend for the city.

Singapore is in a pretty well trafficked area, but it's also Singapore, the Kindliest Military Dictatorship On Earth. It's not like they worry about making the locals mad since the locals are largely dependent on them for all the wealth that's been accumulated there. Monaco is a bit of a similar story except with less capital punishment.

It's like if the Dodgers went to NYC to play an exhibition game in the middle of Times Square. NYC already has baseball, closing/building required infrastructure in Times Square is a massive hassle, and the city doesn't need to put its self through all the trouble for not exactly a huge increase its tourism that weekend... and the conditions for the game its self would likely suck.

Vegas already has a ton of entertainment and now sports options... they really didn't need F1 the FIA just wrote a big enough check and promised massive revenues. They were adamant about hosting this on the strip and ruined the experience of the strip and other parts of the city for tourists the previous 6+ months (I was there... it was pretty ruined). Had it been a regular weekend in Vegas the city probably would've made as much revenue as F1 is brining in and hotel occupancy is always 95%+ on the weekends save for December/January... so what was the point financially?

The other street courses F1 goes to... for the most part, it's either hosted out of the way of major roads, or the event draws people that would otherwise never go there. People are going to visit Las Vegas with or without F1. The street race at Chicago, with NASCAR, for example, significantly boosted what would normally be a "dead" tourism weekend for the city.
One minor correction…the FIA don’t have any say as to F1’s commercial operations, they’re all on the regulatory side. F1’s commercial rights are on a 100-year lease and the big Americanization push has occurred since Liberty Media, an American group, purchased the rights from CVC Capital since 2016/2017. And that’s who’ve gotten the ball rolling on all these projects like Miami and Vegas that were once pipe dreams. And in this case, the series is taking on the responsibility of a race promotion for the first time and dumping all this money into construction and everything. Vegas is supposed to be their new U.S. headquarters, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Carlos said his mechanic's effort to get his car ready were "heroic," so it was good to see him reward the them with a strong run.

No refunds again.
They sent out a statement that was more of an excuseapalooza than an apology, and said nothing about refunds. Now they’re offering $200 vouchers to the LVGP store for Thursday ticket holders. Pretty much just panicking at this point.

I’m curious for tonight’s festivities, I was up late last night watching FP1 as that debacle unfolded, while sucks that happened let’s hope it was caught early and the next 24 hours go on without course issues. I’ll give them credit, the sight of those cars going out on the strip was a bad ass spectacle.

This is all just part of why F1 isn't a real sport, why I can't take it seriously, and why it's not the top of motorsports

BBC reported that the lack of anything remotely along the lines of an apology was due to the legal implications of saying anything that could be taken as an admission of guilt. Yikes.

It's a 4 mile circuit with a miniscule amount of seating. It looks horrible on TV. They managed to screw up making a race on the Las Vegas Strip look good.

Well... at least for the on-track prodcut... looks like we could have a nice race that's challenging but not impossible. I'm entertained enough to stay up for qualifying.

I’ll say, at least the track is reliably fixed at this point. Still feels like whatever goodwill there was has been used up by this point, even if there’s a good race. But we’ll see.

It’s nice to see Williams up there, as it sure felt like a track that would favor them heading into the week. Could be a huge opportunity for Sargeant.

Interesting quali result to say the least.
It's a joke that Sainz got a 10-place grid penalty. Non of the parts that had to be changed were his or his team's fault.

The incident with the manhole covers are inexcusable for the pinnacle of motorsports. This has been a known problem on street circuits for decades.

I've seen some people complaining about the inconvenience because it's a race that "doesn't matter" because Verstappen has already clinched the championship.

And people wonder why NASCAR decided a playoff was a good idea.
If Verstappen wins 18 out of the first 21 races and somehow loses the championship due to a minor issue at Abu Dhabi no one would consider this a legitimate championship.

It's a joke that Sainz got a 10-place grid penalty. Non of the parts that had to be changed were his or his team's fault.
Especially since it was the organizer's fault.
The incident with the manhole covers are inexcusable for the pinnacle of motorsports. This has been a known problem on street circuits for decades.
I'm not sure how you can predict a concrete failure. The important thing is no one got hurt and now all the covers have been inspected. Anything can happen, but my guess it that problem has been solved. There might be new problem we haven't foreseen though, so anything from a cluster fork to a good race is possible.

Qualifying didn't produce any more unwanted drama, so maybe this thing can go off as planned and hopefully we'll get a good race out of it.

One bit of good news is it seems the cold temps isn't really creating a lot of problem for the tires. I guess Pirelli has to be slightly relieved. Outside of Williams running so well the order didn't even get shook up too badly. With Max on the front row we already know how it's going to go.

Where I see the failure is in the camera placement. The angles are so low you can't see any of the lit-up attractions. It doesn't look like Vegas. It looks more like any other street track. You can't see the signs and you can't see the buildings. I'm sure the live atmosphere is much better, but on TV it doesn't look any better than the new Detroit. I was hoping being on the strip and all it would be visually spectacular, but it isn't. I'm sure they can easily correct that for next year, but what we have doesn't live up to Vega on the screen.

Interesting quali result to say the least.

The stewards stated in their documentation they would’ve allowed Sainz to keep his spot but the regulations don’t allow for force majeure in that situation. They just got put in a bad spot by the venue and promoter.

Good thing is Ferrari look really fast and Sainz will be doing a lot of passing. McLaren kinda **** the bed on tire strategy in Q1 apparently. And this could potentially be Williams’ best weekend in a long time.

Where I see the failure is in the camera placement. The angles are so low you can't see any of the lit-up attractions. It doesn't look like Vegas. It looks more like any other street track. You can't see the signs and you can't see the buildings. I'm sure the live atmosphere is much better, but on TV it doesn't look any better than the new Detroit. I was hoping being on the strip and all it would be visually spectacular, but it isn't. I'm sure they can easily correct that for next year, but what we have doesn't live up to Vega on the screen.
I was thinking this last night too. The sense of place with track-level cameras is nothing. It’s all fencing and Rolex/T—Mobile/Heineken/Paramount+ advertising plastered everywhere. And it’s just so damn dark. I can’t see **** except for from the helicopter cam.

This probably would’ve been better as an evening race, but I doubt the city would’ve allowed that.

I thought the same too. The helicopter shots showed this is Vegas but it's still so dark you have to know the city to recognize anything.

Doc nailed it. They needed to put some lights on the crowd or something. For an event like this, you should have droves of people all along the Strip, all along Koval, anywhere you can fit people I should expect to see them. That's not what happened. This entire event is supposed to appeal to Europeans and Europeans alone, which given that it is here in America (which has a higher GDP than the entire Eurozone, mind you) is absolutely mental. I'm actually mad about this because it should have been much, much more of a slam dunk.

This entire event is supposed to appeal to Europeans and Europeans alone, which given that it is here in America (which has a higher GDP than the entire Eurozone, mind you) is absolutely mental.

This part sums it up best.

They're trying to grow their American audience, they want the glitz and glamor that comes with Las Vegas, they really want this to be a staple event in the United States, they want Americans spending money, but they're catering this event exclusively to Europe even though the United States has the strongest economy in the world.

Back
Top Bottom