charlotte 105
talladega 100
rockingham 1230
phoenix 230
homestead 1230
atlanta 100

here is the skinny from the new president Dewar

New NASCAR President addresses start times for Cup races

Dewar mentioned that the schedule was an example of collaboration with NASCAR’s partners, which includes TV networks, and noted that “there were tradeoffs that we needed to make both for broadcast, tracks, teams, etc.

“We did some later start times this year and some in the industry have not liked that, but it was important to interact with our West Coast audience,’’ Dewar said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “Still our largest audience is California, and 1 o’clock starts is too early for them on the West Coast. So we’re trying to find the right balance of that. But yes, I think you’ll see more innovation to make it a win-win for the industry. We will do it together as an industry. It won’t be unilateral on NASCAR’s part.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/new-nascar-president-addresses-start-times-for-cup-races/

Dewar mentioned that the schedule was an example of collaboration with NASCAR’s partners, which includes TV networks, and noted that “there were tradeoffs that we needed to make both for broadcast, tracks, teams, etc.

“We did some later start times this year and some in the industry have not liked that, but it was important to interact with our West Coast audience,’’ Dewar said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. “Still our largest audience is California, and 1 o’clock starts is too early for them on the West Coast. So we’re trying to find the right balance of that. But yes, I think you’ll see more innovation to make it a win-win for the industry. We will do it together as an industry. It won’t be unilateral on NASCAR’s part.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/new-nascar-president-addresses-start-times-for-cup-races/

West coaster here, let the east coasters burn their day up. Give me a 1 Eastern start over a 3 eastern.

I didn't think what Dewar said about California being the largest market was one of the reasons for the later starts would go over well with the Easterners. A while back is was also said the later times would put the race into prime time, so you can be mad at Dewar AND the networks..a double win

It would be interesting to see where Nascar has the highest concentration of viewers. With a population of 40 million people Cali may indeed have the highest population of Nascar fans but States in the Eastern Time Zone make up 47% of the the US population while States in the Pacific Time Zone make up only 14% of the population. Whatever the case I am sure Nascar has this situation royally screwed up and the new triumvirate of leaders are even worse than their predecessors.

Still our largest audience is California
giphy.gif

Man, I know I'd love to see what kind of damage the crew I used to go to races with in my 20's would do back then if the green didn't drop till 3 or 3:30. This was a hard partying tribe. It was on from the time you got up. Add another three hours in the parking lot...

ice-delivery-trucks.jpg

Dewar may end up going the metric time as that would be about his ability to innovate. The guy couldn't last at GM so he went to Nascar. Does that put things in perspective?
He was there for 30 years.

Put that in perspective.

He was there for 30 years.

Put that in perspective.

Difference been he has a hell of a lot of room to mess up in NASCAR. He doesn't have the net worth to fall back on if he screws up.

Why would he say something that is demonstrably false? Trying to be like the President of the United States?

The largest audience is in Greensboro. That's in North Carolina, not California.

hell of a lot of room to not mess up also

Thanks for that.

That's what I meant to say. Sort of.

He has a lot less room to screw up, whereas in GM he had a lot of cap room to venture out. With the Net worth being triple that of NASCAR and all.

NASCAR wants to emulate all other sports... except when it comes to start times. Lol
Thats another thing

When other sports say they start at X time, they start.

When NASCAR says they start at X time, fans still have to sit through half an hour of pre race festivities & commercials before the green flag is actually dropped.

Thats another thing

When other sports say they start at X time, they start.

When NASCAR says they start at X time, fans still have to sit through half an hour of pre race festivities & commercials before the green flag is actually dropped.

The NBA does the same ****. Pisses me off.

found a 1999 one

times are eastern
daytona 500-1200
rockingham -1230
las vegas 230
atlanta 100
darlington 1230
texas 200
bristol 100
martinsville 100
talladega 100
fontana 200
richmond 730
coca cola 600---605
dover 1230
michigan 100
pocono 100
sear point 430
daytona 800
loudon 1230
pocono 105
indy 100
watkins glen 1230
michigan 1230
bristol 730
darlington 100
richmond 730
loudon 230
dover 1230
martinsville 100
charlotte 105
talladega 100
rockingham 1230
phoenix 230
homestead 1230
atlanta 100
Wow, I wonder how the west coast fans survived through this?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people in Indy who are going to sit through 90+ degree heat and 70 degree dew point. A 1pm start would have made it at least slightly more tolerable.

I dont see what the problem is with late starts. So the race starts a bit later, it is better for the west coast. I enjoy it as I get to watch other forms of motorsports like F1, Indy, Formula E, or GRC which might run earlier in the day.

It's rough for big tracks like Michigan. For instance race ends at 630, then you have to wait forever to take the tram since the track is so massive and you don't get on the road really until 930

The Triad market, which includes Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem in a 16-county area, averaged an 8.5 rating for the 17 NASCAR Sprint Cup races on ESPN’s schedule (including three Saturday night races that aired on ABC), edging out Greenville, S.C., (8.4) for the top spot. Indianapolis was third with a 7.7 average rating, followed by Birmingham, Ala., at 6.3 and Charlotte at 6.2.

Rounding out the top 10 markets were Raleigh-Durham, 6.0; Richmond, Va., 5.8; Knoxville, Tenn., and Nashville, Tenn., tied for eighth at 5.5; and Orlando, Fla., Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla., and Norfolk, Va., tied for 10th at 5.1.
http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/spo...cle_14bd1a9a-703c-11e4-9556-3b0e68b7d525.html

The good old jump over a dollar to grab a nickel trick. Love to be the fly in the room when these morons realize their foolishness. Like that time they inconvenienced 2,000,000 to accommodate 10,000. Or, giving their biggest fan base the middle finger by shutting down their cool tracks and leaving them only with that 1.5 mile, boring as paint dry charlotte. And replacing those classic tracks, with other abortions such as Texas, Kentucky, Fontana, New Hampshire, vegas, Kansas, and Chicago.

7 years ago they tried the later start times, and all we got out of it was a rain shortened Daytona 500, and fewer eyes watching.

Back
Top Bottom