3) LA (187k)
4) Orlando-Daytona Beach (169k)
5) DFW (165k)
6) Charlotte (161k)
7) Atlanta (152k)
8) Indianapolis (142k)
T9) Chicago (137k)
T9) Philly (137k)

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2017/nascars-super-bowl-sunday-the-daytona-500.html

Not seeing a whole lot out west.
Good stuff, but it's only one race. I notice the highest combined numbers are for central FL. I wonder if that's because the race was in the local area, and what the numbers look like for other races. Does CA peak when the circuit hits Fontana and Sonoma?

Just random thoughts.

I think we need the Dewar survey:rolleyes:. I thought it was a misprint when I read it. I wonder if a sharp reporter will ask him how he came up with that.

I dont see what the problem is with late starts. So the race starts a bit later, it is better for the west coast. I enjoy it as I get to watch other forms of motorsports like F1, Indy, Formula E, or GRC which might run earlier in the day.

They're brutal for the attending fan. The smaller weather window during the summer is just dumb imo. a 3:20 start at Pocono is insane. It takes 90-120 minuets to dry the track. But NASCAR no longer cares about them anyway....

They're brutal for the attending fan. The smaller weather window during the summer is just dumb imo. a 3:20 start at Pocono is insane. It takes 90-120 minuets to dry the track. But NASCAR no longer cares about them anyway....

I'm not taking up for it one way or another but I was at Pocono #1 this year and it didn't effect us a bit with the later start. I'm about 130 miles from the track. I would assume that radius takes in North Jersey and the NYC metro. We got home at 9 or 9:30 (easy drive west on 80) but I can't imagine the fans from NYC, Philly, or the Lehigh Valley did much worse. I thought (based only on our parking lot position) that the race was pretty well attended by recent standards. I completely understand folks not liking it but if you're coming from very far away it's an overnighter anyway. Sure, there will be fans on the outside of that 200-250 m radius who will suffer, but maybe you get up at 7AM instead of 4:30. Some people will make it up on the other end. No? Again, I get that it creates problems for some folks.

I'm not taking up for it one way or another but I was at Pocono #1 this year and it didn't effect us a bit with the later start. I'm about 130 miles from the track. I would assume that radius takes in North Jersey and the NYC metro. We got home at 9 or 9:30 (easy drive west on 80) but I can't imagine the fans from NYC, Philly, or the Lehigh Valley did much worse. I thought (based only on our parking lot position) that the race was pretty well attended by recent standards. I completely understand folks not liking it but if you're coming from very far away it's an overnighter anyway. Sure, there will be fans on the outside of that 200-250 m radius who will suffer, but maybe you get up at 7AM instead of 4:30. Some people will make it up on the other end. No? Again, I get that it creates problems for some folks.

I live about 45 minutes from the track so in the grand scheme of things the late starts don't affect me either. In fact, I'm going to work for a few hours next Sunday (avoid taking the day off) and still get to the track by 2-230. Even so, I'd much rather an earlier start so the weather window is larger. Afternoon thunderstorms are notorious in the Pocono's in the summer so the more daylight there is to run the event the better.

Afternoon thunderstorms are notorious in the Pocono's in the summer so the more daylight there is to run the event the better.

True, they've lucked out so far. It will come into play eventually, no doubt. I was involved in all three rainouts last year including Indy.

Good stuff, but it's only one race. I notice the highest combined numbers are for central FL. I wonder if that's because the race was in the local area, and what the numbers look like for other races. Does CA peak when the circuit hits Fontana and Sonoma?

Just random thoughts.
They're up there pretty regularly. Fort Myers-Naples and Jacksonville usually do well too.

Back
Top Bottom