Lucky dog, and cars multiple laps down thoughts....

YOU get a lap back! YOU get a lap back!! EVERYONE GETS A LAP BACK!!!
I would agree with your sarcasm in a world without double file restarts, which is also a free pass system.

I would agree with your sarcasm in a world without double file restarts, which is also a free pass system.
I just don't see a reason to give more people ways to get laps back. There are plenty of opportunities already and if cars are multiple laps down usually they're not very competitive anyway.

This is actually a real easy problem to fix.

1) No Wave around
2) No lucky dog
3) Pit road never closes
4) Green flag waves as soon as the track is clear, regardless of where the leader is.

This is actually a real easy problem to fix.

1) No Wave around
2) No lucky dog
3) Pit road never closes
4) Green flag waves as soon as the track is clear, regardless of where the leader is.

I would agree with all, but I would also eliminate double file restarts . Should be very popular with the no free passes crowd.

In most cases the back markers that cause the cautions in those last laps or GWC do-overs,
do not benefit in any way and most times their desperate attempts to pass one car results
in their car needing much more body work. The restarts only affect the top 3 or 4 cars
and the leader seldom wins after 3 restarts. That is the part that pisses me off.
Paying your entree fee does not give you the right to screw up the race finish.
They do not pay an entry fee to get a right to screw up a race for anybody else - they pay it to race, gain experience, and try to get exposure for their sponsors. Some are literally fighting for their racing lives. They are focused upon doing the best they can and are not trying to screw up the leader's race.

As I said before, everybody in the race knows that cautions that aren't your fault are part of racing. They know it's not over until the checkered flag falls, even if you're laps ahead of everybody else. So you deal with it. However, I agree that phantom cautions are ridiculous...

I'm not suggesting any changes, but it NEVER ceases to amaze me how backmarker cars that have driven perfectly clean races for 490 miles suddenly spin out or bounce off the wall with less than ten miles to go. Many of them are not even on a lap with another car, so it's not like they are racing hard to pick up another spot before the finish. One of the mysteries of life....
Possibly they are on old tires by the end of the race (didn't have the funds for as many sets as the top teams)... possibly the driver has gotten tired or has "run out of talent"...

Possibly they are on old tires by the end of the race (didn't have the funds for as many sets as the top teams)... possibly the driver has gotten tired or has "run out of talent"...
Drive the car to its limits if you must but learn where your limits are.
Over driving your car only shows how unprofessional you are. Crashing in the final laps shows you don't belong in a better ride and maybe not the ride you have.

Drive the car to its limits if you must but learn where your limits are.
Over driving your car only shows how unprofessional you are. Crashing in the final laps shows you don't belong in a better ride and maybe not the ride you have.
That's a bit harsh. I agree with that assessment if you're running all by yourself with no positions possible to gain before the race ends. But if there is a reasonable possibly of improving your position or finding a little more speed I'd rather see my driver pushing to try to do that rather than just stroking to the end.

Again, I'm more concerned about my own team's race than anybody else's. Just like they don't care a flip about me. If my car is struggling then I expect my driver to find its edge without over-driving, and to move over when faster cars are coming, but my priority is not to worry about how those fast guys' races are going.

My point is those people driving laps down with no prospects of improvement in these final laps are ruining the racing and killing the strategy the good teams are using to win the race.

Phantom cautions seem to have gone away this season, there has been a lot more green flag racing.

The leaders aren't entitled to an open track; back markers generally stay out of the way of the leaders but if they are engaged in a race for position the leader is insignificant, it is up to the leader to figure out how to pass them. There are moving chicanes in oval racing.

Back
Top Bottom