Mansfield replaces Music city motorplex event

toledo47

Team Owner
TOLEDO, OH (2-20-09)-Mansfield Motorsports Park in Ohio will play host to an ARCA RE/MAX Series race on June 20, replacing an event previously scheduled for that date at the Music City Motorplex in Nashville, Tennessee.
The change in venue was approved by ARCA officials after promoter Joe Mattioli III reached an agreement with Mansfield Motorsports Park owner Mike Dzurilla to run the event at Mansfield.

"We've worked with Joe and the Mattioli family for decades, and this request falls under our guidelines for realigning an event date," said ARCA President Ron Drager. "Mansfield is a quality facility and we know how Ohio race fans have supported events like the ARCA RE/MAX Series at Toledo Speedway and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Mansfield in the past. We look forward to June 20."

Mansfield Motorsports Park opened in 2002, and hosted NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, ASA, USAR Pro Cup, ARCA Lincoln Welders Truck Series and numerous other events. MMP hosted eight racing weekends last season, but track management announced in December 2008 that economic conditions would cause the track to cease operations. The agreement between Mattioli and Dzurilla assures that there will be racing at Mansfield in 2009.

"Mansfield is a first class facility and Mike Dzurilla has an outstanding staff there," said Mattioli. "They have a great track record of producing spectacular events and I am thrilled to be working with them. It is the perfect track to showcase the exceptional competition of the ARCA RE/MAX Series."

The Mattioli family is well known for their ownership and management of Pocono Raceway. Pocono has hosted 47 ARCA RE/MAX Series events since the first in 1969. Joe Mattioli III promoted ARCA RE/MAX Series races at South Boston Speedway in Virginia and was the promoter at Music City Motorplex in Nashville from 2003 through 2008.

"I am honored to be working with Joe and his staff," said Dzurilla. "They bring to Mansfield a proven track record of professionalism that we have been striving towards for the past five years. In my opinion, we have the best and most loyal fans in the world, and I am ecstatic to be able to bring them a top quality racing event such as the ARCA RE/MAX Series."

I wonder if they are closing Music City Motorplex? There were a lot of rumors it was going to happen. Music City Motorplex is a much better track than Mansfield but I am very happy about the change anyway. Now I don't have to pick between Grand-Am at Mid Ohio and the ARCA Race that weekend, I can do both.

I thought they closed Mansfield. :confused:

Toledo47, I'm thinking the same thing you are -- sounds like The City of Nashville has decided to scrap the track. :( The whiners (who move next to a racetrack that's been there for over 100 years and then whine about noise) win again. :mad: :mad:

The Mattioli family is well known for their ownership and management of Pocono Raceway. Pocono has hosted 47 ARCA RE/MAX Series events since the first in 1969. Joe Mattioli III promoted ARCA RE/MAX Series races at South Boston Speedway in Virginia and was the promoter at Music City Motorplex in Nashville from 2003 through 2008.
Sounds to me like he knows something.

By the way, I wouldn't be suprized if something is up with Cayuga too. Their website still says track schedule to be released Feb. 1, tickets on sale Feb 9. Their website also still mentions the NASCAR Canadian Tire series will be racing there. The Canadian Tire Series released their schedule on Monday and Cayuga lost both of the 2 dates it always has had since the CASCAR days. Maybe it was just a disagreement with Canadian Tire series, but its weird that their site hasn't been updated in so long. I hope ARCA races there again anyway.

I thought they closed Mansfield. :confused:

Toledo47, I'm thinking the same thing you are -- sounds like The City of Nashville has decided to scrap the track. :( The whiners (who move next to a racetrack that's been there for over 100 years and then whine about noise) win again. :mad: :mad:

There is also a NASCAR Camping World series East race schedule at Music City Motorplex in 2009. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that race is canceled soon too.

There is also a NASCAR Camping World series East race schedule at Music City Motorplex in 2009. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that race is canceled soon too.

I wonder if Music City Motorplex will get a different date.

Sorry but I thought the Canada race was boring - track has no banking.

I'm gonna make a few calls - this is a very confusing situation.

I wonder if Music City Motorplex will get a different date.

Sorry but I thought the Canada race was boring - track has no banking.

Oh, you went to Cayuga? You are right, it isn't the greatest but I was looking forward to seeing racing there this year anyway. I'd rather them have Canadian Tire series there than ARCA anyway, Cayuga seems like a CASCAR tradition.

Oh, you went to Cayuga? You are right, it isn't the greatest but I was looking forward to seeing racing there this year anyway. I'd rather them have Canadian Tire series there than ARCA anyway, Cayuga seems like a CASCAR tradition.

Didn't go, listened to the race on ARN. ARCA Nation also has highlights.

Do you have a page over on ARCA Nation?

I wish they would've pulled a date from a state that already has 3, 4 ARCA races instead of dropping Nashville.

I'm very annoyed:mad:, I just saw the Mid Ohio Rolex schedule and their Rolex race starts at 5:00pm with a 2 and 1/2 hour time limit this year. I think it was much earlier last year. I figure the ARCA race starts at 7pm, I hope it starts at like 8:30pm at Mansfield. Mid Ohio is less than 30 minutes from Mansfield, thats great 2 of the biggest races of the year in that area on the same day, and Mid Ohio ends probably when Mansfield race will be starting. This sucks.

Didn't go, listened to the race on ARN. ARCA Nation also has highlights.

Well, it is hard to tell how a race is just from some audio and a few video highlights

No, I don't have a page on ARCA Nation. I never liked the idea of ARCA having a crappy ripoff of myspace.

Well, it is hard to tell how a race is just from some audio and a few video highlights

No, I don't have a page on ARCA Nation. I never liked the idea of ARCA having a crappy ripoff of myspace.
Actually, most of ARCA has given up on ARCA Nation and are using Facebook. A couple of my ARCA people are still on ARCA Nation but most of them use facebook instead.

I'm very annoyed:mad:, I just saw the Mid Ohio Rolex schedule and their Rolex race starts at 5:00pm with a 2 and 1/2 hour time limit this year. I think it was much earlier last year. I figure the ARCA race starts at 7pm, I hope it starts at like 8:30pm at Mansfield. Mid Ohio is less than 30 minutes from Mansfield, thats great 2 of the biggest races of the year in that area on the same day, and Mid Ohio ends probably when Mansfield race will be starting. This sucks.
You don't drink the alcohol in Toledo, do you?

I wouldn't go to a bar anywhere near Toledo after seeing some of the decisions to come out of ARCA HQ this year. :eek:

Anyways, I was trying to see what Music City Motorplex's 2009 schedule was and noticed their website is closed down. I'll Google Cache to get some numbers to call over there as well.

Anyways, I was trying to see what Music City Motorplex's 2009 schedule was and noticed their website is closed down. I'll Google Cache to get some numbers to call over there as well.

Yeah, I noticed that their site is down too. The only scheduled date I know is the July 18 NASCAR east race.

Yeah, I noticed that their site is down too. The only scheduled date I know is the July 18 NASCAR east race.
im gonna make some calls on my way to the mva (sigh) and ill let you know what i find out

They renamed the track to Fairgrounds speedway and also changed their websites URL and didn't forward the old URL to the new one.

http://www.fairgroundsspeedwayatnashville.com/

July 18(the date of the NASCAR East race) just says regular points night.

They have a couple of tentative special events, USAR being one of them. Which matches the dates of a TBA race on the USAR site.

Yeah, the new guy does suck. I'm guessing the Camping World series is gone too. I'm glad I got to go down there for a big show anyway.

Yeah, the new guy does suck. I'm guessing the Camping World series is gone too. I'm glad I got to go down there for a big show anyway.
BTW - ARCA told me the Cayuga race is safe. ARCA's got a contract with the speedway to run there so, even if the track is having economic problems, ARCA will still race there.

BTW - ARCA told me the Cayuga race is safe. ARCA's got a contract with the speedway to run there so, even if the track is having economic problems, ARCA will still race there.

I don't know about Cayuga.. First they lost both NASCAR Canadian Tire races, they have also lost both Ontario Sportsman series races and several other series as well. They have not updated their site in a while. I hope they run this year but they need to get their **** together. ARCA might think the race is still on, but they probably thought the same thing about Music City Motorplex.

I don't know about Cayuga.. First they lost both NASCAR Canadian Tire races, they have also lost both Ontario Sportsman series races and several other series as well. They have not updated their site in a while. I hope they run this year but they need to get their **** together. ARCA might think the race is still on, but they probably thought the same thing about Music City Motorplex.

I obviously just registered today, after doing a Google search for Cayuga and ARCA. I myself just heard a rumor from a very reliable source that Cayuga might not have any racing this year!

By Ontario Sportsmen, do you mean OSCAAR? Cayuga still appears to be on their schedule for the ARCA weekend. EDIT: I had looked at the 2008 OSCAAR schedule by accident, but edited out the wrong info pretty quickly.

I actually made hotel reservations near Cayuga shortly after the ARCA schedule came out last November. (I live like 90 miles from Cayuga). It's supposed to be a three year contract with Cayuga. I was there last year, and they're lucky if there were 3,000 people in attendance. Cayuga seats 12,000.

I obviously just registered today, after doing a Google search for Cayuga and ARCA. I myself just heard a rumor from a very reliable source that Cayuga might not have any racing this year!

By Ontario Sportsmen, do you mean OSCAAR? Cayuga still appears to be on their schedule for the ARCA weekend. EDIT: I had looked at the 2008 OSCAAR schedule by accident, but edited out the wrong info pretty quickly.

I actually made hotel reservations near Cayuga shortly after the ARCA schedule came out last November. (I live like 90 miles from Cayuga). It's supposed to be a three year contract with Cayuga. I was there last year, and they're lucky if there were 3,000 people in attendance. Cayuga seats 12,000.
I love the screenname.

They better hurry up and make their plans known. Holy hell will be raised if they wait 2 weeks before the event to tell everyone they're not reopening.

It would be a shame if they didn't open, I think Cayuga is the largest paved oval in Canada.

I love the screenname.

I'd like to say I came up with it, but I have seen it elsewhere on the internets. :D
I won't multi-quote here. Thanks Toledo for the Ontario Sportsmans link. Interesting. Sounds like they wanted to start a Canadian series to replace CASCAR when it was bought out by big bad NASCAR. I'm actually American (but live right on the border), so I don't know anything about any Canadian Touring series. Cayuga is supposed to be hosting a couple of New York based touring series, including a brand new start-up out of Buffalo, so we shall see if that happens.

If you guys would have been checking the Cayuga website since last fall like I have, it's quite laughable the major plans they had, boasting of 6-8 weekends, including NCTS, which I'm sure they didn't plan on losing.

So it looks like one of you thinks ARCA would run the race no matter what because of the contract, the other one isn't so sure?

Oh, found some pics on the web of last years ARCA race. I do believe it's the longest oval track in Canada, although only 5/8 mile. It really is a nice facility. I'll bet they could even lure NASCAR trucks under the right management. I'm not allowed to post links until I have 15 posts. What's up with that? :eek:

doubleu doubleu dubleu dot insidetracknews.com/forum/index.php?action=picasagallerybrowser&album=PHOTOGALLERYARCAAtCayugaMotorSpeedway

Thanks Toledo for the Ontario Sportsmans link. Interesting. Sounds like they wanted to start a Canadian series to replace CASCAR when it was bought out by big bad NASCAR. I'm actually American (but live right on the border), so I don't know anything about any Canadian Touring series. Cayuga is supposed to be hosting a couple of New York based touring series, including a brand new start-up out of Buffalo, so we shall see if that happens.

If you guys would have been checking the Cayuga website since last fall like I have, it's quite laughable the major plans they had, boasting of 6-8 weekends, including NCTS, which I'm sure they didn't plan on losing.

So it looks like one of you thinks ARCA would run the race no matter what because of the contract, the other one isn't so sure?

Ontario sportsman wanted to replace the Cascar sportsman series which NASCAR killed when they bought it(they also killed CASCAR west). I've been keeping up with Cayugas website and I did see their big schedule they had. I went to Cayuga to see ARCA and Canadian Tire series so I try to keep up with whats going on at the Canadian Tire Series tracks.

BTW Nostradumbass, Did you get you passport yet for the upcoming new border requirement? I didn't get mine yet, gonna have to soon. They have not been spreading the word about the new requirement nearly enough..

BTW Nostradumbass, Did you get you passport yet for the upcoming new border requirement? I didn't get mine yet, gonna have to soon. They have not been spreading the word about the new requirement nearly enough..
The news would rather talk about Britney Spears. :rolleyes:

The news would rather talk about Britney Spears. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's coming up June 1 and i'm sure hardley anyone knows about it. I saw on google news that a congress woman is trying to get it delayed a year though. They should delay it, with this bad economy its just going to hurt tourism for the US and Canada even more.

Yeah, it's coming up June 1 and i'm sure hardley anyone knows about it. I saw on google news that a congress woman is trying to get it delayed a year though. They should delay it, with this bad economy its just going to hurt tourism for the US and Canada even more.

Think DC give a rats ass? :rolleyes:

So you're saying you were at the ARCA race last year? No, actually I won't be needing a passport. In New York, we can get "enhanced drivers licenses". I don't have one yet, but it's only taking about 3 weeks from what I hear.I do know a guy who was like first in line for one last winter, and he got it in a few days. Thanks for the reminder, I'd better get off my ass. And the wife is going to the race too (if it actually happens). :D

Naw, living within 15 miles of three international border crossings, I'd say the local media has put the word out pretty good. I'm going to Canada Friday, but still only need the trusty birth certificate.

Yeah, I went to that and the Canadian Tire Series race that was later in the year.

Oh, there's pictures of that too at the website I posted. If you can figure out the link the way I posted it. I just found that website yesterday when I found this one. I had heard, and I see from the pics that they drew much bigger crowds for NCTS. Not any more, of course.

Oh, there's pictures of that too at the website I posted. If you can figure out the link the way I posted it. I just found that website yesterday when I found this one. I had heard, and I see from the pics that they drew much bigger crowds for NCTS. Not any more, of course.

Yeah, although it was kind of rainy the whole ARCA weekend so it is really hard to judge the crowd. I know the Remax series race got a little rain delay, I heard the ARCA Trucks did too. Didn't go to the ARCA truck race though, went to Barrie for the Canadian Tire series race that day instead. At Barrie they thought it was gonna rain too, they had moved the race from 8pm to 7pm. Barrie had a much better crowd than ARCA at Cayuga.

No, actually I won't be needing a passport. In New York, we can get "enhanced drivers licenses".

I'm not too into the enhanced drivers license thing since its limited to only Canada and Mexico. I doubt Ohio offers them anyway but i might as well get the real passport so you can go to most countries, not that i could afford to go anywhere but Canada anyway.

Yeah, although it was kind of rainy the whole ARCA weekend so it is really hard to judge the crowd. I know the Remax series race got a little rain delay, I heard the ARCA Trucks did too. Didn't go to the ARCA truck race though, went to Barrie for the Canadian Tire series race that day instead. At Barrie they thought it was gonna rain too, they had moved the race from 8pm to 7pm. Barrie had a much better crowd than ARCA at Cayuga.

Man, you get around! I was going to check out Barrie someday. I'm really more of a local dirt fan around WNY and Southern Ontario. It rained a bit on Saturday last year, but I showed up around 3:00 for ARCA qualifying, then I think the truck race was at 5:30 (which ran all 50 laps under green, and was done in 1/2 hour flat!) There was like nobody there on Saturday last year, which is why I'm sure the trucks aren't coming back.

I'm pathetic. I've never been outside the U.S. or Ontario. I've seen Mexico from across the river though. :D I will get a passport some day.

Man, you get around! I was going to check out Barrie someday. I'm really more of a local dirt fan around WNY and Southern Ontario. It rained a bit on Saturday last year, but I showed up around 3:00 for ARCA qualifying, then I think the truck race was at 5:30 (which ran all 50 laps under green, and was done in 1/2 hour flat!) There was like nobody there on Saturday last year, which is why I'm sure the trucks aren't coming back.

I'm pathetic. I've never been outside the U.S. or Ontario. I've seen Mexico from across the river though. :D I will get a passport some day.

Have you ever checked out a CASCAR/Canadian Tire Series race? Oval or road coarse they never fail to put on an excellent race, i'd highly reccomend it. The tracks they go to are really high quality places, I've been to 5 of their tracks and the other 4 are actually nicer than Cayuga(not that Cayuga is bad). I've never been outside the US and Ontario/Quebec, hoping to check out some more provinces this year though.

Back
Top Bottom