Mark Martin on use of PJ1

Doesn't mean anything if Goodyear can't developed a good balance tire that can wear out on the 1.5 tracks. We need more comers and goers throughout a green flag run.
True, and they can in a heart beat make a tire that can fall off. But what tire company in their right mind wants to do that and be known for having a tire that doesn't last and have racing fans whining about crappy tires. It's already happened this year on this board when they raced at Indianapolis. So PJ-1 or whatever it is called helps to make a multi groove track but it isn't perfect. Martin as usual is spreading B.S. Nobody ever runs the wall at Texas.

But I agree it is not needed. All you have to do is race the car for what it will give you and be around at the end. Sure helped Dillon yesterday along with a big box of luck.
What they are trying to do is make it so anyone who can get a sponsor can drive a race car.

The PJ1 is over utilized in my opinion. There are not many tracks that have seen a benefit consistently aside from Bristol. But with that comes the combination of the tires and the aero package. Below is a picture of Almirola's tires after 60 lap run showing virtually zero wear. Source

1595256388508.png

The PJ1 is over utilized in my opinion. There are not many tracks that have seen a benefit consistently aside from Bristol. But with that comes the combination of the tires and the aero package. Below is a picture of Almirola's tires after 60 lap run showing virtually zero wear. Source

View attachment 48096
You would think with the increased side-loads, there would be more wear.

Interesting.

Interesting.

Yeah so many people get mad at the aerodynamic package and yet tires are probably the most important aspect. These things don’t fall off at a lot of these tracks

Yeah so many people get mad at the aerodynamic package and yet tires are probably the most important aspect. These things don’t fall off at a lot of these tracks
I guess Goodyear is being conservative, but I don't understand it.

They ran a softer tire for Atlanta and we know how abrasive that surface is. Texas was re-configured and repaved, so why bring harder compound to a track where the surface really has not really aged?

It really makes no sense to me, but I'm just thinking aloud.

View attachment 48096
Sheeeeiiit they coulda rolled that mofo outta the back room of the parts department and it would look no different.

I’ll cut the tracks some slack on using PJ1. With so many variables tracks can’t reconfigure every time there is a change so you do the next best thing.

Interesting.
Your comment made me wonder the effects of Stickum on the new wider wheels and tires with shorter sidewalls, assuming they ever get here.

Your good. You do know the players. :)

Warren can be a royal pain in the ass, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for him. I was a Reher & Morrison guy, but after their fortunes waned, I looked to WJ as the standard bearer for the GM brigade. If nothing else, he was never dull. By the way Nitro, , I just saw the recent Drag Racing Legends episode with somebody I'm sure you know pretty well, Mike Dunn. I REALLY like this series and Mike's episode was especially good. Him talking about working for his dad was priceless.

Warren can be a royal pain in the ass, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for him. I was a Reher & Morrison guy, but after their fortunes waned, I looked to WJ as the standard bearer for the GM brigade. If nothing else, he was never dull. By the way Nitro, , I just saw the recent Drag Racing Legends episode with somebody I'm sure you know pretty well, Mike Dunn. I REALLY like this series and Mike's episode was especially good. Him talking about working for his dad was priceless.
Yep, Mike was a good driver and an awesome clutch guy. That was a good episode. There is another on with his dad.

Yep, Mike was a good driver and an awesome clutch guy. That was a good episode. There is another on with his dad.

I always thought Mike was a neat guy and a VERY GOOD announcer. When I went to my first US Nationals, he was driving for Joe Pisano and I got to meet him.

I think we would have seen a one lane follow the leader race with a very hard tire and a very slick track. Add to the mix that the Texas repave isn't broken in and we wouldn't have seen a wild race with plenty of side by side racing that had legitimate cautions instead of gum wrappers and balloons cautions.

View attachment 48096

Yea, I think NASCAR is overusing the PJ1 compound to compenstate for the failure of the 1.5 mile package and the fact that Goodyear can't provide a good tire. I really hope that the Gen7 cars will see the end of the PJ1 compound, but I'm not holding my breath. I would also say that the Pj1 compound is a band-aid being used because NASCAR has invested too heavily into the 1.5 miles intermediate tracks.

Yeah and since there are no practice sessions they don't get to test it before the race.
Would not mind seeing a max of 1/2 hour of practice for each team and then compare the race performance disparity between the teams. If it is too great, go back to absolutely no practice.

They need to test it on each track like Goodyear does for tires. I figure over time and experience with the stuff they will apply it to optimize multiple racing lines.

It just seems like a gimmick to try and make the racing better due to the highly aero dependent package. Lack of tire wear is also a big issue as has been mentioned - seems like the best intermediate races are those where the tire fall-off is fairly significant. When guys are only taking 2 tires to gain track position and don't end up paying for it over a mid-to-long run you know there's a problem.

Regarding PJ1, it hasn't been around that long has it? I only seem to recall them applying this stuff over the past 5 years or so.

It just seems like a gimmick to try and make the racing better due to the highly aero dependent package. Lack of tire wear is also a big issue as has been mentioned - seems like the best intermediate races are those where the tire fall-off is fairly significant. When guys are only taking 2 tires to gain track position and don't end up paying for it over a mid-to-long run you know there's a problem.

Regarding PJ1, it hasn't been around that long has it? I only seem to recall them applying this stuff over the past 5 years or so.
NASCAR PJ1 is 2 or 3 years old at best.

NHRA PJ1 has been around yeeeears. @Nitro Dude 30ish years? 1980's?

NASCAR PJ1 is 2 or 3 years old at best.

NHRA PJ1 has been around yeeeears. @Nitro Dude 30ish years? 1980's?
It has been used in professional racing since 1972. It definitely changed high horsepower racing dramatically. You can only detune these monsters so much and if you didn't have PJ1 the 12,000 hp nitro cars would just smoke the tires at the hit and blow the blower off and hang the rods out. You wouldn't even make it to the 1000 ft finish line under power. Here is a little background knowledge on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom